OT: losing gold (CPUs and other plated parts). - CP/M

This is a discussion on OT: losing gold (CPUs and other plated parts). - CP/M ; As I've been dismantling a few old and useless S-100 and PC computers lately, I couldn't help but noticing all the gold everywhere. One random example -- a blown 80386 CPU with many gold or at least gold plate pins. ...

  1. OT: losing gold (CPUs and other plated parts).

    As I've been dismantling a few old and useless S-100 and PC computers
    lately, I couldn't help but noticing all the gold everywhere. One
    random example -- a blown 80386 CPU with many gold or at least gold
    plate pins.

    Normally, I'd just toss the CPU... but I gave it more thought this
    time. How much gold, silver, and other precious metals are just
    being thrown away into some non-recoverable oblivion? Will landfills
    be mined one day? One CPU isn't significant (obviously), but this
    action repeated millions of times.. would be significant amounts.

    Anyone know the responsible way of disposing of gold materials? Or
    is it known that the cumulative amounts are insignificant compare to
    brick reserves?

    ~ J

  2. Re: OT: losing gold (CPUs and other plated parts).

    MdntTrain wrote:
    > As I've been dismantling a few old and useless S-100 and PC computers
    > lately, I couldn't help but noticing all the gold everywhere. One
    > random example -- a blown 80386 CPU with many gold or at least gold
    > plate pins.
    >
    > Normally, I'd just toss the CPU... but I gave it more thought this
    > time. How much gold, silver, and other precious metals are just
    > being thrown away into some non-recoverable oblivion? Will landfills
    > be mined one day? One CPU isn't significant (obviously), but this
    > action repeated millions of times.. would be significant amounts.
    >
    > Anyone know the responsible way of disposing of gold materials? Or
    > is it known that the cumulative amounts are insignificant compare to
    > brick reserves?

    I used to be involved in the surplus business and there were a number of
    places that did metals recycling from PC boards. 1960's and 70's era
    boards had a lot more gold on them than current boards.

    The process is pretty ugly and it involves nitric acid and I think a
    cyanide compound. It was done in the days of $200 / oz gold and was
    profitable, but I suspect that the waste products may have been dumped
    in ways that would be unacceptable in current times.

    Bob

  3. Re: OT: losing gold (CPUs and other plated parts).

    On 2007-10-06, MdntTrain wrote:

    > Normally, I'd just toss the CPU... but I gave it more thought this
    > time. How much gold, silver, and other precious metals are just
    > being thrown away into some non-recoverable oblivion? Will landfills
    > be mined one day?

    One day? It's already happening in Asia, where destitute people scavenge
    landfills for electronics waste sent from industrialized countries.
    You're right -- there's not a lot of precious metals, and the recovery
    process is pretty nasty on the environment, but that's why the junk is
    sent to Asia, right? :-(

    --

    John (john@os2.dhs.org)

  4. Re: OT: losing gold (CPUs and other plated parts).

    >As I've been dismantling a few old and useless S-100 and PC computers
    >lately, I couldn't help but noticing all the gold everywhere.
    >Anyone know the responsible way of disposing of gold materials?

    Oy, I'll have to find the business card and flyer:
    I met 2 guys at the Trenton NJ Computer Fair that handle that:
    one scraps all types of metal, another just the CPUs for the gold.
    --

    -- mejeep deMeep ferret!

  5. Re: OT: losing gold (CPUs and other plated parts).

    On Oct 7, 1:11 am, je...@panix.com (Jeff Jonas) wrote:
    > >As I've been dismantling a few old and useless S-100 and PC computers
    > >lately, I couldn't help but noticing all the gold everywhere.
    > >Anyone know the responsible way of disposing of gold materials?

    > Oy, I'll have to find the business card and flyer:
    > I met 2 guys at the Trenton NJ Computer Fair that handle that:
    > one scraps all types of metal, another just the CPUs for the gold.
    > --
    >
    > -- mejeep deMeep ferret!

    Hi
    One will get much more for old S100 stuff on ebay then the gold
    value.
    One has to remember that the plating is very thin. Thick gold is
    usually
    only 0.000030 inch. Most is 0.000015 inch.
    I saw on ebay a pile of .100 gold plated pins. I calculated the rough
    area that there might be of surface. If the thickness was the typical
    maximum, one could just about break even. If it was the other end,
    one can only hope they had a way to recover the brass as well
    because the starting price exceded the total gold.
    They had larger pieces for a higher price per pound. These were
    even less of a bargain. The large heavier piece have even less
    surface per weight. That means even less gold.
    Before thinking you'll get rich from gold of electronics, do some
    math to determine exactly how much gold plated surface you'll
    need to make up for the cost of extracting it.
    Dwight

+ Reply to Thread