32 users in CP/M - CP/M

This is a discussion on 32 users in CP/M - CP/M ; I seem to recall a version of cp/m that I used that had user0 - user31. It may have been MP/M on the Televideo or I could be mistaken. Bill H www.ts1000.us...

  1. 32 users in CP/M

    I seem to recall a version of cp/m that I used that had user0 - user31.
    It may have been MP/M on the Televideo or I could be mistaken.

    Bill H www.ts1000.us

  2. Re: 32 users in CP/M

    "Bill H" wrote in message
    news:1142944942.246180.289670@i39g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > I seem to recall a version of cp/m that I used that had user0 - user31.
    > It may have been MP/M on the Televideo or I could be mistaken.

    Were these user spaces or actual users at terminals?

    There was a CP/M (not MP/M) system I ran across while looking for a multi-user
    solution for one of my customers which had a motherboard (may have been S-100)
    with something like 35 slots. For each users you wanted you added a Z80 card
    and memory (I think 56K). Each one was, in fact, and entire computer except
    for disks and printers. One non-user card also had a z80 and ran the disk
    drives (hard and floppy) and did data transfer to the others via that 8K window
    left by having the others have 56K of RAM. There was another card which ran
    printers. Four of them, as I recall. Or you could attach a serial printer or
    a modem to the individual cards, but then only that user could use that printer
    or modem. I'm not SURE what the maximum number of user cards was, but I think
    it was up there near or at 32. It was also rather expensive, especially as the
    customer only needed two or three users. We ended up with an Altos instead.

    - Bill

  3. Re: 32 users in CP/M

    On 21 Mar 2006 04:42:22 -0800, "Bill H" wrote:

    >I seem to recall a version of cp/m that I used that had user0 - user31.
    >It may have been MP/M on the Televideo or I could be mistaken.
    >
    >Bill H www.ts1000.us

    Basic CP/m2 and greater tolerated this though STAT and USR were only
    deigned for 16. All of the clones and ZCPR (CCP replacement) allowed
    for more than 16.

    The limit for user area was anything less than E5h. The user byte is
    stored in the file system as the first byte of a file entry and E5h is
    erased/deleted, and FEh and FFh are also used, any other value
    is basically a user area. NOTE: in V2 the user is assumed to be
    only 4bits for the set/get user call. However accessing the directory
    directly (bios calls) can extend this or as has been done modifying
    the byte mask for the set/get user call inside the bdos(improved
    bdos).

    Allison

  4. Re: 32 users in CP/M

    Bill H wrote:
    > I seem to recall a version of cp/m that I used that had user0 - user31.
    > It may have been MP/M on the Televideo or I could be mistaken.
    >
    > Bill H www.ts1000.us

    QP/M 2.7 supported 32 users, user 0 to user 31. It was a CP/M
    replacement that was supposed to have been written in optimized Z80
    code.

    Don

  5. Re: 32 users in CP/M

    Hi Don,

    Don wrote:
    > Bill H wrote:
    >
    >>I seem to recall a version of cp/m that I used that had user0 - user31.
    >>It may have been MP/M on the Televideo or I could be mistaken.
    >>
    >>Bill H www.ts1000.us

    > QP/M 2.7 supported 32 users, user 0 to user 31. It was a CP/M
    > replacement that was supposed to have been written in optimized Z80
    > code.
    >
    > Don

    I never heard of QP/M! Is it a BDOS replacement? Is it available
    somewhere?

    Thanks in advance,

    Uwe.

  6. Re: 32 users in CP/M

    Uwe Nass wrote:
    > Hi Don,
    >
    > Don wrote:
    > > Bill H wrote:
    > >
    > >>I seem to recall a version of cp/m that I used that had user0 - user31.
    > >>It may have been MP/M on the Televideo or I could be mistaken.
    > >>
    > >>Bill H www.ts1000.us

    > > QP/M 2.7 supported 32 users, user 0 to user 31. It was a CP/M
    > > replacement that was supposed to have been written in optimized Z80
    > > code.
    > >
    > > Don
    > >

    > I never heard of QP/M! Is it a BDOS replacement? Is it available
    > somewhere?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Uwe.

    QP/M was written by Microcode Consulting and sold by Emrald Microware
    (I hope I spelled that right). They also offered an up-grade ROM,
    double density adaptor and hard hard drive interface. The version I had
    was for the Xerox 820-1 but I suspect that other versions also
    available.

    QP/M was intended to be a complete replacement for CP/M-80. It was all
    written in optimized Z80 code. It supported several different disk
    formats and had the ability to use user defined disk formats. I haven't
    been able to find very much information on it on the internet. I still
    have copies of the original software as well a few bootable 5-1/4 in.
    80 track disks. All of the documetation is long gone. :-(

    Don

  7. Re: 32 users in CP/M

    On 22 Mar 2006 18:35:30 -0800, "Don" wrote:

    >Uwe Nass wrote:
    >> Hi Don,
    >>
    >> Don wrote:

    >> > QP/M 2.7 supported 32 users, user 0 to user 31. It was a CP/M
    >> > replacement that was supposed to have been written in optimized Z80
    >> > code.
    >> >
    >> > Don
    >> >

    >> I never heard of QP/M! Is it a BDOS replacement? Is it available
    >> somewhere?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance,
    >>
    >> Uwe.

    >QP/M was written by Microcode Consulting and sold by Emrald Microware
    >(I hope I spelled that right). They also offered an up-grade ROM,
    >double density adaptor and hard hard drive interface. The version I had
    >was for the Xerox 820-1 but I suspect that other versions also
    >available.
    >
    >QP/M was intended to be a complete replacement for CP/M-80. It was all
    >written in optimized Z80 code. It supported several different disk
    >formats and had the ability to use user defined disk formats. I haven't
    >been able to find very much information on it on the internet. I still
    >have copies of the original software as well a few bootable 5-1/4 in.
    >80 track disks. All of the documetation is long gone. :-(
    >
    >Don

    Well, Don, you are in luck. Ironically, I *just* finished putting all
    of the MICROCode Consulting stuff on-line. See a non-follow-up thread
    posting.

    -Mitch

+ Reply to Thread