Need help with ZSDOS 1.1 - CP/M

This is a discussion on Need help with ZSDOS 1.1 - CP/M ; I wanted to try a newer version of CPM 2.2, so I downloaded ZSDOS from the web. The version gives the user the ability to run with the embedded DateStamper routines called ZDDOS (but you loose some of the built-in ...

  1. Need help with ZSDOS 1.1

    I wanted to try a newer version of CPM 2.2, so I downloaded ZSDOS from
    the web.
    The version gives the user the ability to run with the embedded
    DateStamper
    routines called ZDDOS (but you loose some of the built-in functions),
    or with an
    external DateStamper called ZSDOS (and retain the built-in functions).

    Since I allow the BDOS to hold 4K of code, rather than the standard
    3.5K code,
    I choose to use ZSDOS and include the embedded DateStamper routines. I
    removed
    or modified several of the "IF" statements so that I could achieve my
    objective. It does
    fit nicely within the 4K space. I noticed that the first 6 characters
    of the code were the
    letters "ZSDOS " which I replaced with 00hex (NOP's). I pointed all the
    Get/Set Date
    routines to the proper place in my CBIOS (in EPROM) where my clock
    routines are.
    I assembled ZSDOS to a HEX file and using DDT, I created a binary file
    with the
    standard CCP and ZSDOS. I then put it on my system tracks.

    The system loads alright and runs good, but I have no Date/Time
    functions. I
    used PUTDS to create the stamp file. TD says there are no clock
    routines.
    The DateStamping is inactive.

    The documentation mentions INSTALLOS as a way of installing ZSDOS. Does
    this program do some magic that informs the other modules that
    Date/Time and
    Stamping functions are available. Since I directly built the CCP/ZSDOS
    file, did
    I miss something that does have to be added ?

    Any suggestions will be appreciated...
    Old-Timer (John)

  2. Re: Need help with ZSDOS 1.1

    Old-Timer wrote:
    > I wanted to try a newer version of CPM 2.2, so I downloaded ZSDOS from
    > the web.

    [snip]
    > Any suggestions will be appreciated...
    > Old-Timer (John)

    Would a cross-referenced ZSDOS manual help? I've converted the ZSDOS
    manual to a PDF with hyperlinked cross references. Get it from
    http://www.cs.csubak.edu/~dgriffi/pr...iles/zsdos.pdf.

    --
    David Griffith

  3. Re: Need help with ZSDOS 1.1

    Old-Timer wrote:

    > I wanted to try a newer version of CPM 2.2, so I downloaded ZSDOS
    > from the web. The version gives the user the ability to run with
    > the embedded DateStamper routines called ZDDOS (but you loose some
    > of the built-in functions), or with an external DateStamper called
    > ZSDOS (and retain the built-in functions).
    >
    > Since I allow the BDOS to hold 4K of code, rather than the
    > standard 3.5K code, I choose to use ZSDOS and include the embedded
    > DateStamper routines. I removed or modified several of the "IF"
    > statements so that I could achieve my objective. It does fit
    > nicely within the 4K space. I noticed that the first 6 characters
    > of the code were the letters "ZSDOS " which I replaced with 00hex
    > (NOP's). I pointed all the Get/Set Date routines to the proper
    > place in my CBIOS (in EPROM) where my clock routines are. I
    > assembled ZSDOS to a HEX file and using DDT, I created a binary
    > file with the standard CCP and ZSDOS. I then put it on my system
    > tracks.

    .... snip ...

    DosPlus 2.5 gives you timestamping without expanding the space
    needed for either BDOS or CCP, but requiring a Z80, and a bios
    timer routine. Fully compatible with CPM 2.2.

    More details at:
    Also see

  4. Re: Need help with ZSDOS 1.1

    On 11 Mar 2006 16:23:56 -0800
    "Old-Timer" wrote:

    > I wanted to try a newer version of CPM 2.2, so I downloaded ZSDOS from
    > the web.

    [snip]
    > Since I allow the BDOS to hold 4K of code, rather than the standard
    > 3.5K code,
    > I choose to use ZSDOS and include the embedded DateStamper routines. I
    > removed
    > or modified several of the "IF" statements so that I could achieve my
    > objective. It does
    > fit nicely within the 4K space. I noticed that the first 6 characters
    > of the code were the
    > letters "ZSDOS " which I replaced with 00hex (NOP's). I pointed all
    > the Get/Set Date
    > routines to the proper place in my CBIOS (in EPROM) where my clock
    > routines are.
    > I assembled ZSDOS to a HEX file and using DDT, I created a binary file
    > with the
    > standard CCP and ZSDOS. I then put it on my system tracks.
    >
    > The system loads alright and runs good, but I have no Date/Time
    > functions.

    There is a bit of validation that goes on within the BDOS, and since you
    altered the conditional assemblies and apparently changed the
    architecture, there is not much that can be done to assist you in this.
    The utilities were meant to facilitate installation of the ZSDOS BDOS
    into a MOVCPM 'type' image, or to a standalone image of 3.5k.

    > I used PUTDS to create the stamp file. TD says there are no clock
    > routines.
    > The DateStamping is inactive.

    That's probably correct. Since you apparently opted for the
    DateStamper(tm) type of stamps, you probably altered the required
    validation of clock and DateStamper-specific return values that are
    needed by the utilities.

    > The documentation mentions INSTALLOS as a way of installing ZSDOS.
    > Does this program do some magic that informs the other modules that
    > Date/Time and
    > Stamping functions are available. Since I directly built the CCP/ZSDOS
    > file, did
    > I miss something that does have to be added ?

    Probably, since it doesn't work. By altering the values, and size, you
    probably messed up quite a bit. BTW, a common tool used in the
    validation assumes that the BDOS is 3.5k in size and an entry point for
    the BDOS computed by deducting 3.5k from the BIOS entry page. To see if
    an RSX was installed, this value (+6) was compared to the BDOS entry
    Jump stored at location 0005H. By changing the size of the BDOS to 4k,
    you would ruin the test for RSXes and unknown other things. This was
    faced and addressed in the Banked B/P Bios and banked ZSDOS2 which
    addressed this aspect of things (see the manual).

    > Any suggestions will be appreciated...

    Read the ZSDOS 1 manual, and the 3-part ZSDOS article from The Computer
    Journal available on Gaby's site.

    Hal

+ Reply to Thread