SYS attribute - CP/M

This is a discussion on SYS attribute - CP/M ; OK. Having now set the SYS attribute, and getting my programs to be visible in all user spaces, how to I unset it? - Bill...

  1. SYS attribute

    OK. Having now set the SYS attribute, and getting my programs to be visible in
    all user spaces, how to I unset it?

    - Bill

  2. Re: SYS attribute

    William J. Leary Jr. wrote:
    > OK. Having now set the SYS attribute, and getting my programs to be visible in
    > all user spaces, how to I unset it?
    >
    > - Bill

    DIR is the opposite attribute to SYS

    There should be a cp/m user guide on Gaby's website:

    http://www.cpm.z80.de/

  3. Re: SYS attribute

    On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 21:54:53 -0500, William J. Leary Jr. wrote:
    > OK. Having now set the SYS attribute, and getting my programs to be
    > visible in all user spaces, how to I unset it?

    Back when I was heavy into CP/M, there was a handy li'l utility
    called NSWEEP.COM. Among other things, it'd display a directory listing of
    files and show the attributes and allow you to change them if you wanted. It
    was very handy for that reason (if no other), and I'd recommend a search and
    dload of it.

    Of course, you could just do it at the cmd line. Sorry, I've long
    ago forgotten the syntax to do this, but someone should have a CP/M users
    guide up on the web that you could check.

    --
    jimbo@sonic.net

    "There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
    those who understand binary, and those who don't."

  4. Re: SYS attribute

    wrote in message
    news:1141873666.365784.305150@z34g2000cwc.googlegr oups.com...
    > William J. Leary Jr. wrote:
    > > OK. Having now set the SYS attribute, and getting my programs to be

    visible in
    > > all user spaces, how to I unset it?

    > DIR is the opposite attribute to SYS

    Yes, that works. The HELP function didn't mention that... or I missed it.
    Thanks.

    - Bill

  5. Re: SYS attribute

    "William J. Leary Jr." wrote in message
    > Yes, that works. The HELP function didn't mention that... or I missed it.

    I missed it. In the worst obvious way. It was listed immediately below SYS.

    - Bill

  6. Re: SYS attribute

    On 09 Mar 2006 04:33:13 GMT, Jim Bianchi wrote:

    >On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 21:54:53 -0500, William J. Leary Jr. wrote:
    >> OK. Having now set the SYS attribute, and getting my programs to be
    >> visible in all user spaces, how to I unset it?

    > Back when I was heavy into CP/M, there was a handy li'l utility
    >called NSWEEP.COM. Among other things, it'd display a directory listing of
    >files and show the attributes and allow you to change them if you wanted. It
    >was very handy for that reason (if no other), and I'd recommend a search and
    >dload of it.
    >
    > Of course, you could just do it at the cmd line. Sorry, I've long
    >ago forgotten the syntax to do this, but someone should have a CP/M users
    >guide up on the web that you could check.

    Good ole STAT utility.

    Allison

  7. Re: SYS attribute

    wrote in message
    > Good ole STAT utility.

    I get STAT? under CP/M 3. Works (or, at least, isn't missing) under MP/M II.

    - Bill

  8. Re: SYS attribute

    William J. Leary Jr. schrieb:

    > I get STAT? under CP/M 3. Works (or, at least, isn't missing) under MP/M II.

    With CP/M 3, this function has been moved to the SET command. As already
    mentioned, the syntax of its parameter is DIR or SYS.

    For single files, a Q&D program named QS (quick set) also works fine.
    As an example, you simply type "QS filename.ext RS" to set a file to
    read-only and system. Does not accept wildcards, unfortunately.

    --
    Dipl.-Ing. Tilmann Reh
    http://www.autometer.de - Elektronik nach Maß.

  9. Re: SYS attribute

    "Tilmann Reh" wrote in message
    > William J. Leary Jr. schrieb:
    > > I get STAT? under CP/M 3. Works (or, at least, isn't missing) under MP/M

    II.

    > With CP/M 3, this function has been moved to the SET command.

    I thought that might be the case. I recall using STAT a lot "in the day," but
    had little recollection of SET. I used CP/M 2.2 and MP/M II quite a lot, and
    had a CP/M 3 system for a shorter time.

    > As already
    > mentioned, the syntax of its parameter is DIR or SYS.

    Yep, worked perfectly.

    > For single files, a Q&D program named QS (quick set) also works fine.
    > As an example, you simply type "QS filename.ext RS" to set a file to
    > read-only and system. Does not accept wildcards, unfortunately.

    Too bad.

+ Reply to Thread