Bye5/10 - CP/M

This is a discussion on Bye5/10 - CP/M ; Back in my CP/M bulletin board days I used to use Bye5/10 to allow remote users (via the serial port) access to the bulletin board, disk system etc. Was a version ever created that could do the same via a ...

  1. Bye5/10

    Back in my CP/M bulletin board days I used to use Bye5/10 to allow
    remote users (via the serial port) access to the bulletin board, disk
    system etc. Was a version ever created that could do the same via a
    network connection? What I am thinking, it would be pretty cool to be
    able to run Asgard or Citadel on a CP/M 86 machine with user access
    over the internet via the a network card. I can imagine a solution
    where you have a modern internet enabble machine allowing telnet access
    and then passing all i/o via a null modem cable to the cp/m machine,
    but if it was possible to run it all on a CP/M machine it would be
    nice. Any thoughts?

    Bill H www.ts1000.us

  2. Re: Bye5/10

    On 8 Mar 2006 13:48:14 -0800, "Bill H" wrote:

    >Back in my CP/M bulletin board days I used to use Bye5/10 to allow
    >remote users (via the serial port) access to the bulletin board, disk
    >system etc. Was a version ever created that could do the same via a
    >network connection? What I am thinking, it would be pretty cool to be
    >able to run Asgard or Citadel on a CP/M 86 machine with user access
    >over the internet via the a network card. I can imagine a solution
    >where you have a modern internet enabble machine allowing telnet access
    >and then passing all i/o via a null modem cable to the cp/m machine,
    >but if it was possible to run it all on a CP/M machine it would be
    >nice. Any thoughts?
    >
    >Bill H www.ts1000.us

    I thought about doing something like this for the Ciarca Circuit
    Cellar contest a while back. I would have programmed the ez80f91 to
    simulate a modem on the computer side including status lines and
    connect messages, while it emulated a computer nic on the network
    side. As it was I went a different route, going to my ham radio roots
    and worked on it as a repeater controller with the ethernet port as
    the control link.

    All was for naught, since I didn't get the design finished in time for
    contest submission. Though I still have the board and software
    available for sometime in the future if I ever do decide to put it
    into either use.
    thanks, Primo.

  3. Re: Bye5/10

    On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 16:48:50 -0600, primo wrote:

    >On 8 Mar 2006 13:48:14 -0800, "Bill H" wrote:
    >
    >>Back in my CP/M bulletin board days I used to use Bye5/10 to allow
    >>remote users (via the serial port) access to the bulletin board, disk
    >>system etc. Was a version ever created that could do the same via a
    >>network connection? What I am thinking, it would be pretty cool to be
    >>able to run Asgard or Citadel on a CP/M 86 machine with user access
    >>over the internet via the a network card. I can imagine a solution
    >>where you have a modern internet enabble machine allowing telnet access
    >>and then passing all i/o via a null modem cable to the cp/m machine,
    >>but if it was possible to run it all on a CP/M machine it would be
    >>nice. Any thoughts?
    >>
    >>Bill H www.ts1000.us

    If you have a spare Internet connected PeeCee around, the Telnet BBS
    may be a solution for you.

    http://telbbs.petscii.com/

    Works great for Commodore based equipment and should work fine for
    straight ascii as well.

    Leif Bloomquist's BBS Server Telnet to RS232 gateway program is really
    each to set up and works great: http://www.jammingsignal.com/files/

    I haven't tried to put my Kaypro 10 online yet. But is on my "to do"
    list based on above info

+ Reply to Thread