CP/M3 & MPM2 command user - CP/M

This is a discussion on CP/M3 & MPM2 command user - CP/M ; I've been out of this so long, I can't recall how to do this. I remember that when I was running CP/M 3 and MP/M 2 I could put command (.COM) files in one user space (I thought zero) and ...

  1. CP/M3 & MPM2 command user

    I've been out of this so long, I can't recall how to do this.

    I remember that when I was running CP/M 3 and MP/M 2 I could put command (.COM)
    files in one user space (I thought zero) and they were available in all of
    them. But I can't recall which user number it was, or if it was also necessary
    to execute some command to turn the feature on or not.

    I'm sure someone here must remember the magic. Help, please?

    - Bill

  2. Re: CP/M3 & MPM2 command user

    William J. Leary Jr. schrieb:

    > I've been out of this so long, I can't recall how to do this.
    >
    > I remember that when I was running CP/M 3 and MP/M 2 I could put command (.COM)
    > files in one user space (I thought zero) and they were available in all of
    > them. But I can't recall which user number it was, or if it was also necessary
    > to execute some command to turn the feature on or not.
    >
    > I'm sure someone here must remember the magic. Help, please?

    Programs that are on user 0 (zero) *and* have the "system" attribute
    set, are executable from every user area.

    --
    Dipl.-Ing. Tilmann Reh
    http://www.autometer.de - Elektronik nach Maß.

  3. Re: CP/M3 & MPM2 command user

    "William J. Leary Jr." wrote:

    > I've been out of this so long, I can't recall how to do this.
    >
    > I remember that when I was running CP/M 3 and MP/M 2 I could put
    > command (.COM) files in one user space (I thought zero) and they
    > were available in all of them. But I can't recall which user
    > number it was, or if it was also necessary to execute some command
    > to turn the feature on or not.
    >
    > I'm sure someone here must remember the magic. Help, please?

    If you put them on user 0 they should be accessible to all users.
    This was specified for CP/M 2.2, but it didn't work. In DOSPLUS
    2.5 it worked.

    More details at:
    Also see

  4. Re: CP/M3 & MPM2 command user

    "CBFalconer" wrote in message
    > "William J. Leary Jr." wrote:
    > >
    > > I've been out of this so long, I can't recall how to do this.
    > >
    > > I remember that when I was running CP/M 3 and MP/M 2 I could put
    > > command (.COM) files in one user space (I thought zero) and they
    > > were available in all of them. But I can't recall which user
    > > number it was, or if it was also necessary to execute some command
    > > to turn the feature on or not.
    > >
    > > I'm sure someone here must remember the magic. Help, please?

    > If you put them on user 0 they should be accessible to all users.
    > This was specified for CP/M 2.2, but it didn't work. In DOSPLUS
    > 2.5 it worked.

    That's what I thought. It's not working in either CP/M 3 or MP/M II on this
    emulator (Altair Z80).

    "Tilmann Reh" wrote in message
    > Programs that are on user 0 (zero) *and* have the "system" attribute
    > set, are executable from every user area.

    That did it. I had a feeling that I'd forgotten some necessary step.

    - Bill

  5. Re: CP/M3 & MPM2 command user

    On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 01:50:23 -0500, CBFalconer
    wrote:

    >"William J. Leary Jr." wrote:

    >> I remember that when I was running CP/M 3 and MP/M 2 I could put
    >> command (.COM) files in one user space (I thought zero) and they
    >> were available in all of them.

    >If you put them on user 0 they should be accessible to all users.
    >This was specified for CP/M 2.2, but it didn't work. In DOSPLUS
    >2.5 it worked.

    It would work in 2.2 if you used ZCPR replacement for vanilla CCP

    Not sure if that 'Z' meant Z-80 code used, though.

    Bill

+ Reply to Thread