testing network speed/tracking slow down - Connectivity

This is a discussion on testing network speed/tracking slow down - Connectivity ; Hello, I am trying to find a way to measure network speed without purchasing any special software. We are a company of about 90 PCs so my budget for software items like this is pretty much none. We are 2 ...

  1. testing network speed/tracking slow down

    Hello, I am trying to find a way to measure network speed without
    purchasing any special software. We are a company of about 90 PCs so
    my budget for software items like this is pretty much none. We are 2
    separate buildings connected with a fiber cable. It seems everyone in
    building 2 is slower then in building 1. So I was considering going
    around from various locations and trying to measure the speed to try
    and find if I have a switch or something that is bogging down my
    network. The only thing I have thought of is to ping an IP of 1 main
    switch or something and look at the milli-seconds it takes to respond
    but that has never seemed to be consistent. Any one have any
    suggestions? Thanks.

  2. Re: testing network speed/tracking slow down

    scott wrote:
    > Hello, I am trying to find a way to measure network speed without
    > purchasing any special software. We are a company of about 90 PCs so
    > my budget for software items like this is pretty much none. We are 2
    > separate buildings connected with a fiber cable. It seems everyone in
    > building 2 is slower then in building 1. So I was considering going
    > around from various locations and trying to measure the speed to try
    > and find if I have a switch or something that is bogging down my
    > network. The only thing I have thought of is to ping an IP of 1 main
    > switch or something and look at the milli-seconds it takes to respond
    > but that has never seemed to be consistent. Any one have any
    > suggestions? Thanks.

    You may want to try the following program.

    http://dast.nlanr.net/Projects/Iperf...ocs_1.7.0.html

    Danny,

  3. Re: testing network speed/tracking slow down

    Don't know if this will help you or not:

    http://manageengine.adventnet.com/pr.../download.html

    It appears to me that it would especiallly if you first used the full
    version (fully functional--free evaluation for 30 days--unlimited devices)
    to isolate your bottleneck then installed the "free" version (10 device
    limit--most funtions of full version enabled--never expires).

    Read the comparsion chart for details between the two versions.

    Good Luck!

    Tom

    "scott" wrote in message
    news:1190652784.756329.28800@57g2000hsv.googlegrou ps.com...
    > Hello, I am trying to find a way to measure network speed without
    > purchasing any special software. We are a company of about 90 PCs so
    > my budget for software items like this is pretty much none. We are 2
    > separate buildings connected with a fiber cable. It seems everyone in
    > building 2 is slower then in building 1. So I was considering going
    > around from various locations and trying to measure the speed to try
    > and find if I have a switch or something that is bogging down my
    > network. The only thing I have thought of is to ping an IP of 1 main
    > switch or something and look at the milli-seconds it takes to respond
    > but that has never seemed to be consistent. Any one have any
    > suggestions? Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread