Trying to share... - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Trying to share... - Connectivity ; Setup: Cablemodem (Motorola SB4200) to WLAN router (Netgear WGR614v6)). Router is set to be DHCP server. Four computers on the wired ports: 1 - P4 3.06, 2gb, WinXP SP2 2 - P4 3.4 dual core, 2gb, WinXP x64 3 - ...

  1. Trying to share...

    Setup:
    Cablemodem (Motorola SB4200) to WLAN router (Netgear WGR614v6)).
    Router is set to be DHCP server.
    Four computers on the wired ports:
    1 - P4 3.06, 2gb, WinXP SP2
    2 - P4 3.4 dual core, 2gb, WinXP x64
    3 - Sun Enterprise Ultra 450 (rarely on - using to learn Solaris for
    work - Sun Solaris 10 baseline load)
    4 - Laptop docking station (laptop is Gateway 2.16 core 2 duo, 4gb,
    win mce)

    The wireless side is set for WEP and normally has four attached:
    5 - roommate's desktop
    6 - other roommate's laptop
    7 - neighbor's laptop
    8 - neighbor's desktop
    and sometimes
    9 - the laptop in #4 above

    All client computers are set to use DHCP. All client computers can use
    the internet.

    Comps 1 and 2 have folders set to be sharable. These folders have
    permissions set so that anyone can read or write to them, both as
    local and as shared permissions.

    Comps 1,2 and 4 all see each other and share files with no problems. I
    don't know about 3, I've not tried it yet.

    Comps 5 through 8 cannot see #'s 1 or 2, and I want to make it
    possible for them to.

    I've tried mapping "as another user", and using administrator
    credentials. No dice.

    Help?

  2. Re: Trying to share...

    Iron Phoenix wrote:
    > Comps 5 through 8 cannot see #'s 1 or 2, and I want to make it
    > possible for them to.

    Does your wireless access point forward broadcast messages into the
    cabled part of the network? Windows needs these for network share discovery.

    You should at least be able to access the other comps directly, by
    entering their IP address into explorer's address bar.

    Regards,
    Michael

+ Reply to Thread