Trendnet TS-U200 - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Trendnet TS-U200 - Connectivity ; My sister damaged (both physically and electric) her USB ports on her laptop. Unfortunately there's no PCMCIA slot so for months she has been unable to transfer her pictures from her camera to her laptop. I've been looking for some ...

  1. Trendnet TS-U200

    My sister damaged (both physically and electric) her USB ports on her
    laptop. Unfortunately there's no PCMCIA slot so for months she has been
    unable to transfer her pictures from her camera to her laptop.

    I've been looking for some NAS like thing to solve the problem. Yesterday my
    Googling stubled over this product
    (http://www.trendnet.com/en/products/TS-U200.htm).

    Is there anybody out here who got any experience (good or bad) with this
    product. My deepest concern goes into the daily use. I.e. how easy would it
    be for my sister (who's more or less a computer novice) to transfer her
    pictures from her SD card to her laptop.

    Many thanks in advance
    /Henning

  2. Re: Trendnet TS-U200

    Fixing her laptop sounds like an approach to try first. And,
    if she damaged her USB ports electrically (how, exactly?),
    are you both sure she didn't damage something else in the
    process?

    "please-answer-here" wrote in message
    news:46cbafe7$0$21926$157c6196@dreader1.cybercity. dk...
    > My sister damaged (both physically and electric) her USB ports on her
    > laptop. Unfortunately there's no PCMCIA slot so for months she has been
    > unable to transfer her pictures from her camera to her laptop.
    >
    > I've been looking for some NAS like thing to solve the problem. Yesterday
    > my Googling stubled over this product
    > (http://www.trendnet.com/en/products/TS-U200.htm).
    >
    > Is there anybody out here who got any experience (good or bad) with this
    > product. My deepest concern goes into the daily use. I.e. how easy would
    > it be for my sister (who's more or less a computer novice) to transfer her
    > pictures from her SD card to her laptop.
    >
    > Many thanks in advance
    > /Henning

  3. Re: Trendnet TS-U200

    Anthony Buckland wrote:
    > Fixing her laptop sounds like an approach to try first. And,
    > if she damaged her USB ports electrically (how, exactly?),
    > are you both sure she didn't damage something else in the
    > process?

    Thanks for the answer. Yes everything has been tried. The damage was done
    when she moved her laptop forgetting the USB printer was still connected.
    One of the ports is physically damaged, and apparently some internal
    circuits relating to the USB controller has also been damaged. The laptop (a
    Medion) is equipped with an ExpressCard slot instead of an PCMCIA and the
    ExpressCard/USB card I've bought for here would not work either. Apart from
    this the computer is working excellent. She had also contacted the support
    company in order to receive a price for a repair. That price was
    uninterestingly high

    > "please-answer-here" wrote in message
    > news:46cbafe7$0$21926$157c6196@dreader1.cybercity. dk...
    >> My sister damaged (both physically and electric) her USB ports on her
    >> laptop. Unfortunately there's no PCMCIA slot so for months she has
    >> been unable to transfer her pictures from her camera to her laptop.
    >>
    >> I've been looking for some NAS like thing to solve the problem.
    >> Yesterday my Googling stubled over this product
    >> (http://www.trendnet.com/en/products/TS-U200.htm).
    >>
    >> Is there anybody out here who got any experience (good or bad) with
    >> this product. My deepest concern goes into the daily use. I.e. how
    >> easy would it be for my sister (who's more or less a computer
    >> novice) to transfer her pictures from her SD card to her laptop.
    >>
    >> Many thanks in advance
    >> /Henning

  4. Re: Trendnet TS-U200

    I would suggest finding someone who could fix the port itself. I had a few
    friends who complained about the price of fixing the power jacks in their
    laptops, most manufactures quoted prices of 400-600 dollars. I found jacks
    for sale for under 10 dollars! One hour of work and the problem was fixed.
    The USB port plugs are available also. Try www.mouser.com or
    www.digikey.com. Just be very careful when dis-assembling the laptops and
    control the heat when you de-solder and re-solder. Hope this helps. Bob

    --

    "please-answer-here" wrote in message
    news:46cbafe7$0$21926$157c6196@dreader1.cybercity. dk...
    > My sister damaged (both physically and electric) her USB ports on her
    > laptop. Unfortunately there's no PCMCIA slot so for months she has been
    > unable to transfer her pictures from her camera to her laptop.
    >
    > I've been looking for some NAS like thing to solve the problem. Yesterday
    > my Googling stubled over this product
    > (http://www.trendnet.com/en/products/TS-U200.htm).
    >
    > Is there anybody out here who got any experience (good or bad) with this
    > product. My deepest concern goes into the daily use. I.e. how easy would
    > it be for my sister (who's more or less a computer novice) to transfer her
    > pictures from her SD card to her laptop.
    >
    > Many thanks in advance
    > /Henning

  5. Re: Trendnet TS-U200

    Lasagna wrote:
    > I would suggest finding someone who could fix the port itself. I had
    > a few friends who complained about the price of fixing the power
    > jacks in their laptops, most manufactures quoted prices of 400-600
    > dollars. I found jacks for sale for under 10 dollars! One hour of
    > work and the problem was fixed. The USB port plugs are available
    > also. Try www.mouser.com or www.digikey.com. Just be very careful
    > when dis-assembling the laptops and control the heat when you
    > de-solder and re-solder. Hope this helps. Bob

    Thanks for the advice, but honestly I wouldn't dare taking the risk for
    destroying her computer, which apart from the missing USB ports is working
    perfect.

    > "please-answer-here" wrote in message
    > news:46cbafe7$0$21926$157c6196@dreader1.cybercity. dk...
    >> My sister damaged (both physically and electric) her USB ports on her
    >> laptop. Unfortunately there's no PCMCIA slot so for months she has
    >> been unable to transfer her pictures from her camera to her laptop.
    >>
    >> I've been looking for some NAS like thing to solve the problem.
    >> Yesterday my Googling stubled over this product
    >> (http://www.trendnet.com/en/products/TS-U200.htm).
    >>
    >> Is there anybody out here who got any experience (good or bad) with
    >> this product. My deepest concern goes into the daily use. I.e. how
    >> easy would it be for my sister (who's more or less a computer
    >> novice) to transfer her pictures from her SD card to her laptop.
    >>
    >> Many thanks in advance
    >> /Henning

+ Reply to Thread