printer sharing on a network - Connectivity

This is a discussion on printer sharing on a network - Connectivity ; I recently installed a Hp Photosmart printer on the host computer a Hp Laptop that is connected to the internet through a Linksys wireless router The printer works fine but I cannot print from my remote computer on the network. ...

  1. printer sharing on a network

    I recently installed a Hp Photosmart printer on the host computer a Hp
    Laptop that is connected to the internet through a Linksys wireless router
    The printer works fine but I cannot print from my remote computer on the
    network. I would really appreciate help getting the network setup so that I
    can print from my remote computer. I have been trying for days without
    success. My OS is Windows XP home on both computers. I can access the
    internet from the remote computer but just can't print to the printer
    attached to the host computer.

    Richard K Mahan Sr

    "Imagination is the Father of Creativity"

  2. Re: printer sharing on a network

    Did you make the printer shared on the host and what happens when you try
    to install it on the remote, what error messages do you get when you try
    to print from the remote computer ?
    Give a few more details about what you have done and any error messages
    you get and someone should be able to help you make it work.
    Joan

    Richard Mahan wrote:
    >I recently installed a Hp Photosmart printer on the host computer a Hp
    > Laptop that is connected to the internet through a Linksys wireless
    > router The printer works fine but I cannot print from my remote
    > computer on the network. I would really appreciate help getting the
    > network setup so that I can print from my remote computer. I have
    > been trying for days without success. My OS is Windows XP home on
    > both computers. I can access the internet from the remote computer
    > but just can't print to the printer attached to the host computer.
    >

    > Richard K Mahan Sr
    >
    > "Imagination is the Father of Creativity"

  3. Re: printer sharing on a network

    I installed the printer on the host computer with the software that came
    with the printer and marked it to be shared
    but when I open the fax and printers from the remote computer the printer I
    installed on the host computer is not displayed.
    do I have to installed the printer software on the remote computer as well?
    thanks for your help.

    "Joan Archer" wrote in message
    > Did you make the printer shared on the host and what happens when you try
    > to install it on the remote, what error messages do you get when you try
    > to print from the remote computer ?
    > Give a few more details about what you have done and any error messages
    > you get and someone should be able to help you make it work.
    > Joan
    >

    > Richard Mahan wrote:
    >>I recently installed a Hp Photosmart printer on the host computer a Hp
    >> Laptop that is connected to the internet through a Linksys wireless
    >> router The printer works fine but I cannot print from my remote
    >> computer on the network. I would really appreciate help getting the
    >> network setup so that I can print from my remote computer. I have
    >> been trying for days without success. My OS is Windows XP home on
    >> both computers. I can access the internet from the remote computer
    >> but just can't print to the printer attached to the host computer.
    >>

    >> Richard K Mahan Sr
    >>
    >> "Imagination is the Father of Creativity"

    > --

  4. Re: printer sharing on a network

    OK, you may not have to install the same software I'm going from memory
    here but it's something to try until one of the experts sees your post.

    Go into the remote computer and in the Control Panel Printers and Faxes
    click to add a new printer then follow the prompts to add the one that's
    on the host machine. I'll try and find an article that will help if I can
    but I know it works because I have the printer connected to my machine and
    my husband can use it if he wants from his.

    I think also some printers can be connected to the router so that they can
    be used on a network but that depends on the printer and router that you
    have.

    Sorry but that's the best I can do at the moment but I hope it helps you.

    Richard Mahan wrote:
    > I installed the printer on the host computer with the software that
    > came with the printer and marked it to be shared
    > but when I open the fax and printers from the remote computer the
    > printer I installed on the host computer is not displayed.
    > do I have to installed the printer software on the remote computer as
    > well? thanks for your help.
    >

    > "Joan Archer" wrote in message
    >> Did you make the printer shared on the host and what happens when
    >> you try to install it on the remote, what error messages do you get
    >> when you try to print from the remote computer ?
    >> Give a few more details about what you have done and any error
    >> messages you get and someone should be able to help you make it work.
    >> Joan
    >>

    >> Richard Mahan wrote:
    >>>I recently installed a Hp Photosmart printer on the host computer a
    >>> Hp Laptop that is connected to the internet through a Linksys
    >>> wireless router The printer works fine but I cannot print from my
    >>> remote computer on the network. I would really appreciate help
    >>> getting the network setup so that I can print from my remote
    >>> computer. I have been trying for days without success. My OS is
    >>> Windows XP home on both computers. I can access the internet from
    >>> the remote computer but just can't print to the printer attached to
    >>> the host computer.
    >>>

    >>> Richard K Mahan Sr
    >>>
    >>> "Imagination is the Father of Creativity"

    >> --

  5. Re: printer sharing on a network

    I am withdrawing my question since I contacted Hewlett Packard support for
    my printer and was told that the printer I purchased was not compatible with
    wireless networks. I am considering returning the printer for one that is
    compatible with wireless networks, thanks

    "Richard Mahan" wrote in message
    news:JoWdnTpmu74UPVHbnZ2dnUVZ_vShnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    >I am really confused now. my point is, that when I open the network
    >printers on my remote computer, I don't see the printer that I installed on
    >the host computer on the list of printers on the network and I think that's
    >the problem.computers can be so frustrating but I appreciate you taking the
    >time to help with my problem. I had it working O.K. with my old printer but
    >as soon as I installed a new printer on the host computer the problem
    >began.it has to be a simple configuration problem.
    >

    > "Joan Archer" wrote in message
    > news:46cc3887$0$16379$88260bb3@free.teranews.com.. .
    >> OK, you may not have to install the same software I'm going from memory
    >> here but it's something to try until one of the experts sees your post.
    >>
    >> Go into the remote computer and in the Control Panel Printers and Faxes
    >> click to add a new printer then follow the prompts to add the one that's
    >> on the host machine. I'll try and find an article that will help if I can
    >> but I know it works because I have the printer connected to my machine
    >> and my husband can use it if he wants from his.
    >>
    >> I think also some printers can be connected to the router so that they
    >> can be used on a network but that depends on the printer and router that
    >> you have.
    >>
    >> Sorry but that's the best I can do at the moment but I hope it helps you.
    >>

    >> Richard Mahan wrote:
    >>> I installed the printer on the host computer with the software that
    >>> came with the printer and marked it to be shared
    >>> but when I open the fax and printers from the remote computer the
    >>> printer I installed on the host computer is not displayed.
    >>> do I have to installed the printer software on the remote computer as
    >>> well? thanks for your help.
    >>>

    >>> "Joan Archer" wrote in message

  6. Re: printer sharing on a network

    OK Richard sorry I couldn't help.
    Joan

    Richard Mahan wrote:
    >I am withdrawing my question since I contacted Hewlett Packard
    > support for my printer and was told that the printer I purchased was
    > not compatible with wireless networks. I am considering returning the
    > printer for one that is compatible with wireless networks, thanks

  7. Re: printer sharing on a network

    Richard Mahan wrote:
    > I recently installed a Hp Photosmart printer on the host computer a Hp
    > Laptop that is connected to the internet through a Linksys wireless router
    > The printer works fine but I cannot print from my remote computer on the
    > network. I would really appreciate help getting the network setup so that I
    > can print from my remote computer. I have been trying for days without
    > success. My OS is Windows XP home on both computers. I can access the
    > internet from the remote computer but just can't print to the printer
    > attached to the host computer.
    >

    > Richard K Mahan Sr
    >
    > "Imagination is the Father of Creativity"

    Richard,

    I had a similar (maybe the same?) problem and it drove me nuts. I
    finally hired someone who knows more about these things and he was able
    to determine that it was a setting in the Norton firewall that came
    pre-installed on my computer. I don't know exactly what setting he
    changed, but after making that change, the printer showed up as being
    shared from my wife's laptop. The printer was a Brother Laser printer
    connected via firewire directly to my desktop.

+ Reply to Thread