10base-2 network question - Connectivity

This is a discussion on 10base-2 network question - Connectivity ; Hello. I need a little help. I have a piece of vintage equipment that uses a 10base-2 coax connection for the console. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can connect a sun workstation without the same type of ...

  1. 10base-2 network question

    Hello. I need a little help. I have a piece of vintage equipment that uses a 10base-2 coax connection for the console. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can connect a sun workstation without the same type of coax connection to this machine. The sun uses a standard LAN plug. I would be grateful for any help. Thanks everyone.

    --

  2. Re: 10base-2 network question

    Lasagna wrote:
    > Hello. I need a little help. I have a piece of vintage equipment that
    > uses a 10base-2 coax connection for the console. Does anyone have any
    > ideas on how I can connect a sun workstation without the same type of
    > coax connection to this machine. The sun uses a standard LAN plug. I
    > would be grateful for any help. Thanks everyone.
    >
    > --

    With a 10Base-2 to 10Base-T converter also known as a transceiver.

    http://www.nextag.com/Transition-Net...99/prices-html

    Danny

  3. Re: 10base-2 network question

    Hi Danny. Tried that, they are not compatible with any plug on the back of
    the sun. I do know that in the older sun's they had a networking card that
    was 10base-2 but they are long gone. I have even been looking on ebay for
    months and nothing! Thanks anyways.

    --

    "Danny Kile" wrote in message
    newsSOxi.12156$U24.5156@bignews5.bellsouth.net...
    > Lasagna wrote:
    >> Hello. I need a little help. I have a piece of vintage equipment that
    >> uses a 10base-2 coax connection for the console. Does anyone have any
    >> ideas on how I can connect a sun workstation without the same type of
    >> coax connection to this machine. The sun uses a standard LAN plug. I
    >> would be grateful for any help. Thanks everyone.
    >>
    >> --
    >>

    > With a 10Base-2 to 10Base-T converter also known as a transceiver.
    >
    > http://www.nextag.com/Transition-Net...99/prices-html
    >

    > Danny

  4. Re: 10base-2 network question

    Lasagna wrote:
    > Hi Danny. Tried that, they are not compatible with any plug on the back of
    > the sun. I do know that in the older sun's they had a networking card that
    > was 10base-2 but they are long gone. I have even been looking on ebay for
    > months and nothing! Thanks anyways.

    Is it a 15 pin D connector?
    -----------------
    -----------------

  5. Re: 10base-2 network question

    10Base2 is a coax connection. Much like a cable television cable, only
    smaller with a twist and lock plug.

    --

    "salopian" wrote in message
    > Lasagna wrote:
    >> Hi Danny. Tried that, they are not compatible with any plug on the back
    >> of the sun. I do know that in the older sun's they had a networking card
    >> that was 10base-2 but they are long gone. I have even been looking on
    >> ebay for months and nothing! Thanks anyways.
    >>

    > Is it a 15 pin D connector?
    > -----------------
    > www.Newsgroup-Binaries.com - *Completion*Retention*Speed*
    > Access your favorite newsgroups from home or on the road
    > -----------------

  6. Re: 10base-2 network question

    from " Lasagna"

    > Hello. I need a little help. I have a piece of vintage equipment that
    > uses a 10base-2 coax connection for the console. Does anyone have any
    > ideas on how I can connect a sun workstation without the same type of
    > coax connection to this machine. The sun uses a standard LAN plug. I
    > would be grateful for any help. Thanks everyone.

    I cannot tell from the discussion whether I can help or not. "standard
    LAN plug" doesn't tell me anything - the benefit of 'Standards' is
    that there are so many to choose from!

    Being a horder I seldom ditch anything known to be working but simply
    'old technology' and therefore not immediately useable.

    If you need a 10base-2 coax card to fit the Sun and the Sun has a spare
    ISA slot then I have 3Com Etherlink III 509B cards with Co-ax and RJ45
    or with Co-ax and 15pin D connectors. I also have cable with Co-ax
    connectors, Tee-connectors and (if I look hard enough) Terminators.

    JG

  7. Re: 10base-2 network question

    10Base5 has a 25 pin AUI connector.

    Salopian.

    Lasagna wrote:
    > 10Base2 is a coax connection. Much like a cable television cable, only
    > smaller with a twist and lock plug.

    -----------------
    -----------------

  8. Re: 10base-2 network question

    The sun sparcstation uses SBUS cards. I am not looking for a ISA card. Thank
    you anyways.

    --

    "JG" wrote in message
    news:313030303331393046ED828E56@crescentcomputing. co.uk...

    > from " Lasagna"
    >
    >> Hello. I need a little help. I have a piece of vintage equipment that
    >> uses a 10base-2 coax connection for the console. Does anyone have any
    >> ideas on how I can connect a sun workstation without the same type of
    >> coax connection to this machine. The sun uses a standard LAN plug. I
    >> would be grateful for any help. Thanks everyone.

    > I cannot tell from the discussion whether I can help or not. "standard
    > LAN plug" doesn't tell me anything - the benefit of 'Standards' is
    > that there are so many to choose from!
    >
    > Being a horder I seldom ditch anything known to be working but simply
    > 'old technology' and therefore not immediately useable.
    >
    > If you need a 10base-2 coax card to fit the Sun and the Sun has a spare
    > ISA slot then I have 3Com Etherlink III 509B cards with Co-ax and RJ45
    > or with Co-ax and 15pin D connectors. I also have cable with Co-ax
    > connectors, Tee-connectors and (if I look hard enough) Terminators.
    >
    > JG

  9. Re: 10base-2 network question

    Read the subject of the thread please. It states 10based2 not 10based5.
    Thanks anyways

    --

    "salopian" wrote in message
    > 10Base5 has a 25 pin AUI connector.
    >
    > Salopian.
    >
    > Lasagna wrote:
    >> 10Base2 is a coax connection. Much like a cable television cable, only
    >> smaller with a twist and lock plug.
    >>

    > -----------------
    > www.Newsgroup-Binaries.com - *Completion*Retention*Speed*
    > Access your favorite newsgroups from home or on the road
    > -----------------

  10. Re: 10base-2 network question

    I meant a 15 pin AUI connector.

    Salopian.

    salopian wrote:
    > 10Base5 has a 25 pin AUI connector.
    >
    > Salopian.
    >
    > Lasagna wrote:
    >> 10Base2 is a coax connection. Much like a cable television cable, only
    >> smaller with a twist and lock plug.
    >>

    > -----------------
    > www.Newsgroup-Binaries.com - *Completion*Retention*Speed*
    > Access your favorite newsgroups from home or on the road
    > -----------------

    -----------------
    -----------------

  11. Re: 10base-2 network question

    In your original question you said that you wanted to a 10Base2 device
    to a SUN box with a "standard" LAN connector. Which standard?
    If you are talking about 10BaseT or 10Base5 you can get a media converter.

    Lasagna wrote:
    > Read the subject of the thread please. It states 10based2 not 10based5.
    > Thanks anyways

    -----------------
    -----------------

  12. Re: 10base-2 network question

    Lasagna wrote:
    > Hello. I need a little help. I have a piece of vintage equipment that
    > uses a 10base-2 coax connection for the console. Does anyone have any
    > ideas on how I can connect a sun workstation without the same type of
    > coax connection to this machine. The sun uses a standard LAN plug. I
    > would be grateful for any help. Thanks everyone.
    >
    > --

    L-com has converters for everything. For std 10 base-T RJ45 to 10base-2
    bnc use;

    http://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=6316
    gr

+ Reply to Thread