Home Plug ethernet connectivity - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Home Plug ethernet connectivity - Connectivity ; I have a broadband modem/router which I've been using for about a year with a long-in-the-tooth W98SE PC, the modem has one USB port and one Ethernet port, but it's not wireless. The W98SE PC only has a USB port ...

  1. Home Plug ethernet connectivity

    I have a broadband modem/router which I've been using for about a year with
    a long-in-the-tooth W98SE PC, the modem has one USB port and one Ethernet
    port, but it's not wireless. The W98SE PC only has a USB port for
    connection, but it's working well.

    Just bought a couple of new WinXP PCs for us and they each connect just fine
    to the router, using either the USB port or the Ethernet port. However, one
    of these PCs will be moving downstairs to the opposite end of the house.

    My rather simple question is: has anybody here used Home Plug to connect a
    PC to the router through the mains using an Ethernet cable? My intention
    would be for me to use the USB cable upstairs since I'm next to the modem,
    and connect the downstairs PC to the router via a couple of Ethernet cables
    and mains Home Plugs.

    If anyone here has any experience of Home Plugs (good or bad), I would very
    much appreciate hearing about it.

    Thanks,

    someone

  2. Re: Home Plug ethernet connectivity

    Hello,

    I don't have any personal experience with Home Plug, but I would
    assume it is like any other Ethernet cable. If that is the case, what
    you are trying to do should work just fine.

    If for some reason it does not work, check out http://www.comtradcables.com
    for Ethernet cables.

    Hope this helps,

    Joe

  3. Re: Home Plug ethernet connectivity

    wrote in message
    news:1187203006.304327.259200@e9g2000prf.googlegro ups.com...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I don't have any personal experience with Home Plug, but I would
    > assume it is like any other Ethernet cable. If that is the case, what
    > you are trying to do should work just fine.
    >

    > If for some reason it does not work, check out
    > http://www.comtradcables.com
    > for Ethernet cables.

    Thanks for your reply. Seems like not many people use HomePlug however I've
    decided to bite the bullet and try it anyway. But I'll keep your site in
    mind, just in case.

    Regards,

    someone

  4. Re: Home Plug ethernet connectivity

    wrote in message
    news:1187203006.304327.259200@e9g2000prf.googlegro ups.com...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I don't have any personal experience with Home Plug, but I would
    > assume it is like any other Ethernet cable. If that is the case, what
    > you are trying to do should work just fine.
    >

    > If for some reason it does not work, check out
    > http://www.comtradcables.com
    > for Ethernet cables.

    Hi Joe, I purchased the HomePlug package yesterday at 4 pm, it arrived at 7
    am this morning, After a cup of coffee I installed it and voila! It worked
    perfectly instantly.

    http://www.homeplugs.co.uk/acatalog/homeplugs.html

    It does use Ethernet cables.

    Kind regards,

    someone

  5. Re: Home Plug ethernet connectivity

    Just subscribed to this Ngroup.
    I bought the Solwise HomePlug AV 200Mbps
    Well pleased when I used it supposed to be suitable for use with
    Streamer & HD films ?
    Good & easy set up over the mains cable & Ethernet cable

    Cheers
    Pete

    In message <46c1ad63$0$11434$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk>, someone
    writes
    >I have a broadband modem/router which I've been using for about a year with
    >a long-in-the-tooth W98SE PC, the modem has one USB port and one Ethernet
    >port, but it's not wireless. The W98SE PC only has a USB port for
    >connection, but it's working well.
    >
    >Just bought a couple of new WinXP PCs for us and they each connect just fine
    >to the router, using either the USB port or the Ethernet port. However, one
    >of these PCs will be moving downstairs to the opposite end of the house.
    >
    >My rather simple question is: has anybody here used Home Plug to connect a
    >PC to the router through the mains using an Ethernet cable? My intention
    >would be for me to use the USB cable upstairs since I'm next to the modem,
    >and connect the downstairs PC to the router via a couple of Ethernet cables
    >and mains Home Plugs.
    >
    >If anyone here has any experience of Home Plugs (good or bad), I would very
    >much appreciate hearing about it.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >someone

+ Reply to Thread