Can a router receive as well as send? - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Can a router receive as well as send? - Connectivity ; I have a small LAN in the house, including a wireless router so I can wander around with my laptop. Now, I want to hook up another LAN in another part of the house, and for various reasons cabling won't ...

  1. Can a router receive as well as send?

    I have a small LAN in the house, including a wireless router so I can wander
    around with my laptop. Now, I want to hook up another LAN in another part
    of the house, and for various reasons cabling won't work. So I'm wondering,
    can I hook up another LAN (cabled) in the other part of the house, and
    include in that second LAN a wireless router, and be able to access the
    Internet (which is hooked into the primary LAN) from the secondary LAN?

    (assuming the usual issues like the wireless routers are close enough to
    maintain a signal)

    Thanks!
    Chris

  2. Re: Can a router receive as well as send?

    Chris Shearer Cooper wrote:
    > can I hook up another LAN (cabled) in the other part of the house, and
    > include in that second LAN a wireless router, and be able to access the
    > Internet (which is hooked into the primary LAN) from the secondary LAN?

    Yes, you can.

    A friend of mine did that with a Linksys router, on which he had
    installed OpenWRT. I don't know whether there are routers which support
    that out-ot-the-box, maybe a WLan repeater could do the trick as well.

    Regards,
    Michael

  3. Re: Can a router receive as well as send?

    On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 08:42:45 -0600, Chris Shearer Cooper wrote:

    > I have a small LAN in the house, including a wireless router so I can wander
    > around with my laptop. Now, I want to hook up another LAN in another part
    > of the house, and for various reasons cabling won't work. So I'm wondering,
    > can I hook up another LAN (cabled) in the other part of the house, and
    > include in that second LAN a wireless router, and be able to access the
    > Internet (which is hooked into the primary LAN) from the secondary LAN?

    The Linksys WAP54G Wireless-G Access Point can do this when configured
    as a bridge. You will need two. See my review at
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-...stRecentReview

    Other access points may be able to do the same thing. Look for "bridge" or
    "bridge mode". Or maybe you can buy a pair of dedicated wireless bridges.

    rcp

  4. Re: Can a router receive as well as send?

    Chris Shearer Cooper wrote:
    > I have a small LAN in the house, including a wireless router so I can wander
    > around with my laptop. Now, I want to hook up another LAN in another part
    > of the house, and for various reasons cabling won't work. So I'm wondering,
    > can I hook up another LAN (cabled) in the other part of the house, and
    > include in that second LAN a wireless router, and be able to access the
    > Internet (which is hooked into the primary LAN) from the secondary LAN?
    >
    > (assuming the usual issues like the wireless routers are close enough to
    > maintain a signal)

    Not sure what you mean but I've just got a Netgear DG834G and it has
    a mysterious 'repeater' facility which might be what you are after.

+ Reply to Thread