Establishing Daily Internet Time Allowance for Children - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Establishing Daily Internet Time Allowance for Children - Connectivity ; With so many Internet-connected devices in many homes, it is increasingly difficult for a parent to limit a child's total daily Internet access time to online gaming. A parent can find themselves chasing a child in circular fashion from one ...

  1. Establishing Daily Internet Time Allowance for Children

    With so many Internet-connected devices in many homes, it is increasingly
    difficult for a parent to limit a child's total daily Internet access time
    to online gaming. A parent can find themselves chasing a child in circular
    fashion from one device to another
    (workstation->gamecube->playstation->workstaion, etc) in an effort to limit
    overall online time. Powering off the entire home router is not an option
    since the it would disrupt VoIP phone service and other authorized
    (i.e.parent) access. Devices are a mix or hardwired and wireless.

    I'm thinking that the solution to this problem (in addition to more stern
    parenting!) would be a consumer home networking appliance that can be
    configured to limit total Internet connectivity time to a specified daily
    time allowance per IP address (e.g. 2 hrs/day). Does anyone know of such a
    device?

    Many home routers (Netgear, Linksys, etc.) provide the ability to establish
    a daily time schedule, but that assumes the exact same (predicatable) daily
    schedule (not realistic for this situation).

    I know that MS-Windows software solutions are readily available, but they
    do not limit online access from gaming consoles (i.e. Playstation)

    Any guidance is appreciated.

    Thanks

  2. Re: Establishing Daily Internet Time Allowance for Children

    On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 20:07:39 -0400, "Joe"
    wrote:

    >With so many Internet-connected devices in many homes, it is increasingly
    >difficult for a parent to limit a child's total daily Internet access time
    >to online gaming. A parent can find themselves chasing a child in circular
    >fashion from one device to another
    >(workstation->gamecube->playstation->workstaion, etc) in an effort to limit
    >overall online time. Powering off the entire home router is not an option
    >since the it would disrupt VoIP phone service and other authorized
    >(i.e.parent) access. Devices are a mix or hardwired and wireless.
    >
    >I'm thinking that the solution to this problem (in addition to more stern
    >parenting!) would be a consumer home networking appliance that can be
    >configured to limit total Internet connectivity time to a specified daily
    >time allowance per IP address (e.g. 2 hrs/day). Does anyone know of such a
    >device?
    >
    >Many home routers (Netgear, Linksys, etc.) provide the ability to establish
    >a daily time schedule, but that assumes the exact same (predicatable) daily
    >schedule (not realistic for this situation).
    >
    >I know that MS-Windows software solutions are readily available, but they
    >do not limit online access from gaming consoles (i.e. Playstation)
    >
    >Any guidance is appreciated.
    >
    >Thanks

    For the PCs, I would suggest an application that limits the time.

    For the consoles, if your router supports it(most new ones do) you can
    grab the MAC address of the system(available from the statistics or
    connections page on your router) and set an access rule for that
    specific device for a set time range. You'll have to find out for
    your specific router if it provides that functionality.

    For example, my home router has a page where I can input either a MAC
    address or an IP address, a time range and whether to allow or block
    that device. If I wanted to block my computer from accessing the
    internet from the hours of 2pm-5pm, I would set that time for that
    address and at 2pm I would be cut off from the network, but not the
    system itself.

    http://www.usenet.com

  3. Re: Establishing Daily Internet Time Allowance for Children

    On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 13:51:45 -0400, Brandon Arnold
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 20:07:39 -0400, "Joe"
    >wrote:
    >
    >>With so many Internet-connected devices in many homes, it is increasingly
    >>difficult for a parent to limit a child's total daily Internet access time
    >>to online gaming. A parent can find themselves chasing a child in circular
    >>fashion from one device to another
    >>(workstation->gamecube->playstation->workstaion, etc) in an effort to limit
    >>overall online time. Powering off the entire home router is not an option
    >>since the it would disrupt VoIP phone service and other authorized
    >>(i.e.parent) access. Devices are a mix or hardwired and wireless.
    >>
    >>I'm thinking that the solution to this problem (in addition to more stern
    >>parenting!) would be a consumer home networking appliance that can be
    >>configured to limit total Internet connectivity time to a specified daily
    >>time allowance per IP address (e.g. 2 hrs/day). Does anyone know of such a
    >>device?
    >>
    >>Many home routers (Netgear, Linksys, etc.) provide the ability to establish
    >>a daily time schedule, but that assumes the exact same (predicatable) daily
    >>schedule (not realistic for this situation).
    >>
    >>I know that MS-Windows software solutions are readily available, but they
    >>do not limit online access from gaming consoles (i.e. Playstation)
    >>
    >>Any guidance is appreciated.
    >>
    >>Thanks

    I'm sorry, I completely overlooked the part where you went over this.
    The best thing you can do then, as I know of no other solution short
    of writing a small script that changes the times for you, is to just
    manually unplug the consoles.

    http://www.usenet.com

  4. Re: Establishing Daily Internet Time Allowance for Children

    another possible solution is called disipline. YOU tell them what times
    they can use it and then there are consequences for disobedience. simple.

    --
    Steve Barker

    "Joe" wrote in message
    news:G4SdnUGDqN94YQLbnZ2dnUVZ_sqinZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > With so many Internet-connected devices in many homes, it is increasingly
    > difficult for a parent to limit a child's total daily Internet access time
    > to online gaming. A parent can find themselves chasing a child in

    circular
    > fashion from one device to another
    > (workstation->gamecube->playstation->workstaion, etc) in an effort to

    limit
    > overall online time. Powering off the entire home router is not an option
    > since the it would disrupt VoIP phone service and other authorized
    > (i.e.parent) access. Devices are a mix or hardwired and wireless.
    >
    > I'm thinking that the solution to this problem (in addition to more stern
    > parenting!) would be a consumer home networking appliance that can be
    > configured to limit total Internet connectivity time to a specified daily
    > time allowance per IP address (e.g. 2 hrs/day). Does anyone know of such

    > device?
    >
    > Many home routers (Netgear, Linksys, etc.) provide the ability to

    establish
    > a daily time schedule, but that assumes the exact same (predicatable)

    daily
    > schedule (not realistic for this situation).
    >
    > I know that MS-Windows software solutions are readily available, but they
    > do not limit online access from gaming consoles (i.e. Playstation)
    >
    > Any guidance is appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks

  5. Re: Establishing Daily Internet Time Allowance for Children

    Joe wrote:
    > With so many Internet-connected devices in many homes, it is increasingly
    > difficult for a parent to limit a child's total daily Internet access time
    > to online gaming. A parent can find themselves chasing a child in circular
    > fashion from one device to another
    > (workstation->gamecube->playstation->workstaion, etc) in an effort to limit
    > overall online time. Powering off the entire home router is not an option
    > since the it would disrupt VoIP phone service and other authorized
    > (i.e.parent) access. Devices are a mix or hardwired and wireless.
    >
    > I'm thinking that the solution to this problem (in addition to more stern
    > parenting!) would be a consumer home networking appliance that can be
    > configured to limit total Internet connectivity time to a specified daily
    > time allowance per IP address (e.g. 2 hrs/day). Does anyone know of such a
    > device?

    Yeah, proper parenting.
    Yes the feature (as another user mentioned with MAC addresses) is
    available, but it's probably easier to take away the cord to the consoles..
    Usually works.

  6. Re: Establishing Daily Internet Time Allowance for Children

    I started out writing a rather lengthy email, but decided to cut back. I
    will just say this - it's been my experience that people how spout "proper
    parenting" and "simple - use discipline" generally don't have children and
    have never actually tried the things they propose. As a parent myself who
    is going through these same issues, let me assure you that wanting a little
    technological assistance in this battle does not make one a bad parent!

    "David Fairbrother" wrote in message
    > Joe wrote:
    >> With so many Internet-connected devices in many homes, it is increasingly
    >> difficult for a parent to limit a child's total daily Internet access
    >> time to online gaming. A parent can find themselves chasing a child in
    >> circular fashion from one device to another
    >> (workstation->gamecube->playstation->workstaion, etc) in an effort to
    >> limit overall online time. Powering off the entire home router is not an
    >> option since the it would disrupt VoIP phone service and other authorized
    >> (i.e.parent) access. Devices are a mix or hardwired and wireless.
    >>
    >> I'm thinking that the solution to this problem (in addition to more
    >> stern parenting!) would be a consumer home networking appliance that can
    >> be configured to limit total Internet connectivity time to a specified
    >> daily time allowance per IP address (e.g. 2 hrs/day). Does anyone know
    >> of such a device?

    > Yeah, proper parenting.
    > Yes the feature (as another user mentioned with MAC addresses) is
    > available, but it's probably easier to take away the cord to the
    > consoles..
    > Usually works.

  7. Re: Establishing Daily Internet Time Allowance for Children

    Chris Shearer Cooper wrote:
    > I started out writing a rather lengthy email, but decided to cut back. I
    > will just say this - it's been my experience that people how spout "proper
    > parenting" and "simple - use discipline" generally don't have children and
    > have never actually tried the things they propose.

    Irrelevant. If the OP can't pull the plug on their kid's console..

    > As a parent myself who
    > is going through these same issues, let me assure you that wanting a little
    > technological assistance in this battle does not make one a bad parent!

    Unfortunately there's no technological assistance for when your kids
    start doing drugs and having run-ins with the law.

    Far better for them to be taught discipline, proper parenting stands.

    > "David Fairbrother" wrote in message
    >> Joe wrote:
    >>> With so many Internet-connected devices in many homes, it is increasingly
    >>> difficult for a parent to limit a child's total daily Internet access
    >>> time to online gaming. A parent can find themselves chasing a child in
    >>> circular fashion from one device to another
    >>> (workstation->gamecube->playstation->workstaion, etc) in an effort to
    >>> limit overall online time. Powering off the entire home router is not an
    >>> option since the it would disrupt VoIP phone service and other authorized
    >>> (i.e.parent) access. Devices are a mix or hardwired and wireless.
    >>>
    >>> I'm thinking that the solution to this problem (in addition to more
    >>> stern parenting!) would be a consumer home networking appliance that can
    >>> be configured to limit total Internet connectivity time to a specified
    >>> daily time allowance per IP address (e.g. 2 hrs/day). Does anyone know
    >>> of such a device?

    >> Yeah, proper parenting.
    >> Yes the feature (as another user mentioned with MAC addresses) is
    >> available, but it's probably easier to take away the cord to the
    >> consoles..
    >> Usually works.

  8. Re: Establishing Daily Internet Time Allowance for Children

    Joe wrote:
    > With so many Internet-connected devices in many homes, it is increasingly
    > difficult for a parent to limit a child's total daily Internet access time
    > to online gaming. A parent can find themselves chasing a child in circular
    > fashion from one device to another
    > (workstation->gamecube->playstation->workstaion, etc) in an effort to limit
    > overall online time. Powering off the entire home router is not an option
    > since the it would disrupt VoIP phone service and other authorized
    > (i.e.parent) access. Devices are a mix or hardwired and wireless.
    >
    > I'm thinking that the solution to this problem (in addition to more stern
    > parenting!) would be a consumer home networking appliance that can be
    > configured to limit total Internet connectivity time to a specified daily
    > time allowance per IP address (e.g. 2 hrs/day). Does anyone know of such a
    > device?
    >
    > Many home routers (Netgear, Linksys, etc.) provide the ability to establish
    > a daily time schedule, but that assumes the exact same (predicatable) daily
    > schedule (not realistic for this situation).
    >
    > I know that MS-Windows software solutions are readily available, but they
    > do not limit online access from gaming consoles (i.e. Playstation)
    >
    > Any guidance is appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks

    http://www.zemericks.com/
    has log software

    I put one of those timer like you have for light and set it to turn off
    my dlink router off at 11pm and back on at 7am

  9. Re: Establishing Daily Internet Time Allowance for Children

    Smiles wrote:
    > Joe wrote:
    >> With so many Internet-connected devices in many homes, it is
    >> increasingly difficult for a parent to limit a child's total daily
    >> Internet access time to online gaming. A parent can find themselves
    >> chasing a child in circular fashion from one device to another
    >> (workstation->gamecube->playstation->workstaion, etc) in an effort to
    >> limit overall online time. Powering off the entire home router is not
    >> an option since the it would disrupt VoIP phone service and other
    >> authorized (i.e.parent) access. Devices are a mix or hardwired and
    >> wireless.
    >>
    >> I'm thinking that the solution to this problem (in addition to more
    >> stern parenting!) would be a consumer home networking appliance that
    >> can be configured to limit total Internet connectivity time to a
    >> specified daily time allowance per IP address (e.g. 2 hrs/day). Does
    >> anyone know of such a device?
    >>
    >> Many home routers (Netgear, Linksys, etc.) provide the ability to
    >> establish a daily time schedule, but that assumes the exact same
    >> (predicatable) daily schedule (not realistic for this situation).
    >>
    >> I know that MS-Windows software solutions are readily available, but
    >> they do not limit online access from gaming consoles (i.e. Playstation)
    >>
    >> Any guidance is appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    > http://www.zemericks.com/
    > has log software
    >
    > I put one of those timer like you have for light and set it to turn off
    > my dlink router off at 11pm and back on at 7am

    That would cut out *all* access, not just the kids'; OP stated they
    don't want regular access (ie. by parents) affected.

  10. Re: Establishing Daily Internet Time Allowance for Children

    David Fairbrother wrote:
    > Smiles wrote:
    >
    >> Joe wrote:
    >>
    >>> With so many Internet-connected devices in many homes, it is
    >>> increasingly difficult for a parent to limit a child's total daily
    >>> Internet access time to online gaming. A parent can find themselves
    >>> chasing a child in circular fashion from one device to another
    >>> (workstation->gamecube->playstation->workstaion, etc) in an effort to
    >>> limit overall online time. Powering off the entire home router is
    >>> not an option since the it would disrupt VoIP phone service and other
    >>> authorized (i.e.parent) access. Devices are a mix or hardwired and
    >>> wireless.
    >>>
    >>> I'm thinking that the solution to this problem (in addition to more
    >>> stern parenting!) would be a consumer home networking appliance that
    >>> can be configured to limit total Internet connectivity time to a
    >>> specified daily time allowance per IP address (e.g. 2 hrs/day). Does
    >>> anyone know of such a device?
    >>>
    >>> Many home routers (Netgear, Linksys, etc.) provide the ability to
    >>> establish a daily time schedule, but that assumes the exact same
    >>> (predicatable) daily schedule (not realistic for this situation).
    >>>
    >>> I know that MS-Windows software solutions are readily available, but
    >>> they do not limit online access from gaming consoles (i.e. Playstation)
    >>>
    >>> Any guidance is appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>

    >> http://www.zemericks.com/
    >> has log software
    >>
    >> I put one of those timer like you have for light and set it to turn
    >> off my dlink router off at 11pm and back on at 7am

    > That would cut out *all* access, not just the kids'; OP stated they
    > don't want regular access (ie. by parents) affected.

    The OP could cascade two routers and use the "inner" one for the kids -
    switching it off (or limiting ports) when deemed necessary.
    --
    Sue

  11. Re: Establishing Daily Internet Time Allowance for Children

    some routers permit to schedule connecting hours, and narrow it to
    services or websites limitations. It can be assign only to certain
    machines (by its IP or MAC address).

    As an example, my router - Linksys WRT54GC V2 - has this options

    Palindrome escreveu em 26-07-2007 11:10:
    > David Fairbrother wrote:
    >> Smiles wrote:

    >>> http://www.zemericks.com/
    >>> has log software
    >>>
    >>> I put one of those timer like you have for light and set it to turn
    >>> off my dlink router off at 11pm and back on at 7am

    >> That would cut out *all* access, not just the kids'; OP stated they
    >> don't want regular access (ie. by parents) affected.

    > The OP could cascade two routers and use the "inner" one for the kids -
    > switching it off (or limiting ports) when deemed necessary.

+ Reply to Thread