adsl modem & wireless router connection problem. - Connectivity

This is a discussion on adsl modem & wireless router connection problem. - Connectivity ; Hello all. My Mother Inlaw has a Netcomm NB5 ADSL Modem Router, a separate ELEMENTS wireless router ( bought form Aldi Supermarket), PC1 using a standard ethernet lan card, PC2 usind a DLINK wireless card. All PC's have XP. To ...

  1. adsl modem & wireless router connection problem.

    Hello all.

    My Mother Inlaw has a Netcomm NB5 ADSL Modem Router, a separate ELEMENTS
    wireless router ( bought form Aldi Supermarket), PC1 using a standard
    ethernet lan card, PC2 usind a DLINK wireless card. All PC's have XP.

    To access setup for the 2 devices I go to

    ADSL Modem 192.168.1.1

    Wirless router 192.168.1.134

    I have the ADSL modem and PC1 plugged into the LAN ports on the Wirelss
    router. (please note I have them bothe plugged into the LAN ports and not
    The WAN port to make things easier)

    I have disabled the DHCP in the wireless router and left the DHCP enabled
    in the ADSl modem.

    The ADSL modem has 2 LAN clients listed

    1) PC1 with IP Adress 192.168.1.101

    2) PC2 with IP Adress 192.168.1.100

    So the ADSL modem can see both PC's and PC1 can actively connect to the
    internet.

    PC2 say it is connected to the wireless router. If I look at "network
    Connections" in PC2 the Wireless connection has an IP adress of something
    like 155. 254.2.170 Private Network Adress. ( To be honest I cant remember
    its exact IP adress except to say it is defintely a different SUBNET to the
    IP adress's listed as LAN clients in the ADSL modem.

    I have looked in the wireless router to find a place to set Ip adress for
    the wirelss section to no avail.

    I found it very strange that the wireless router has PC2 listed as a client
    but PC2 cant access the internet

  2. Re: adsl modem & wireless router connection problem.

    "Mark & Denni" wrote in message
    > Hello all.
    >
    > My Mother Inlaw has a Netcomm NB5 ADSL Modem Router, a separate ELEMENTS
    > wireless router ( bought form Aldi Supermarket), PC1 using a standard
    > ethernet lan card, PC2 usind a DLINK wireless card. All PC's have XP.
    >

    > To access setup for the 2 devices I go to
    >
    > ADSL Modem 192.168.1.1
    >
    > Wirless router 192.168.1.134
    >

    > I have the ADSL modem and PC1 plugged into the LAN ports on the Wirelss
    > router. (please note I have them bothe plugged into the LAN ports and not
    > The WAN port to make things easier)
    >
    > I have disabled the DHCP in the wireless router and left the DHCP enabled
    > in the ADSl modem.
    >
    > The ADSL modem has 2 LAN clients listed
    >
    > 1) PC1 with IP Adress 192.168.1.101
    >
    > 2) PC2 with IP Adress 192.168.1.100
    >
    > So the ADSL modem can see both PC's and PC1 can actively connect to the
    > internet.
    >
    > PC2 say it is connected to the wireless router. If I look at "network
    > Connections" in PC2 the Wireless connection has an IP adress of something
    > like 155. 254.2.170 Private Network Adress. ( To be honest I cant remember
    > its exact IP adress except to say it is defintely a different SUBNET to
    > the IP adress's listed as LAN clients in the ADSL modem.
    >

    > I have looked in the wireless router to find a place to set Ip adress for
    > the wirelss section to no avail.
    >

    > I found it very strange that the wireless router has PC2 listed as a
    > client but PC2 cant access the internet

    The ADSL modem and router addresses look good, assuming the mask is
    255.255.255.0 (the typical default).

    I think you should have the DHCP turned on in both the routers and the modem
    should be plugged into the WAN port of the wireless router so the router
    doesn't try to treat it as a local DHCP client.

    The router DHCP server provides connection information to clients on the LAN
    ports and assumes anything on the WAN port is upstream in the big wide
    world. Your router is responsible for routing traffic to the devices
    attached to the LAN ports and to forward traffic outside those addresses to
    the WAN port. As it stands, the wireless router knows where PC2 is but has
    no idea where the rest of the world is. PC1 bypasses the confusion of the
    wireless router.

    Mike

+ Reply to Thread