Folks,

Newer laptops have the ability to wake up on receipt of special wireless
signal, for remote patching etc. Sometimes called WOWLAN.

Can this be done the other way round? That is, I want my desktop computer to
wake up from standby mode when I switch on my Laptop, using a wireless
connection only. Then when the laptop is switched off I require the desktop
to revert to standby mode. Laptop is fitted with wireless pcmcia card and
desktop has both cable and wireless lan PCI adaptors. There are no WOWLAN
PCI wireless adaptor cards that I know of. Maybe it can be done using a
wireless router and connecting to the desktop LAN adaptor with a normal
ethernet cable?

Also, can a new laptop mini-pci wireless lan card (eg. by Intel) be used in
a normal PCI slot by using a suitable adaptor?

Cheers

NC