OpenVPN Problems PLZ Help !! TIA - Connectivity

This is a discussion on OpenVPN Problems PLZ Help !! TIA - Connectivity ; Hi I am trying to learn Networking. I've been trying for a week to use OpenVNP but I can't seem to do it. The following is my situation. My LAN ( 2-winXP and 1-Linux) runnig behind a Linksys WRT54G router ...

  1. OpenVPN Problems PLZ Help !! TIA

    Hi
    I am trying to learn Networking.
    I've been trying for a week to use OpenVNP but I can't seem

    to do it.

    The following is my situation.

    My LAN ( 2-winXP and 1-Linux) runnig behind a Linksys

    WRT54G router
    The router is setup also for DynDNS

    I am Stiil a Linux Newbie so I am trying to set up running

    OpenVPN on
    the winXP 1st. Then try it with Linux.
    Also:
    I have a separate XP box Setup with DialUp only. I am

    trying to use
    this as a TEST Client.

    I've tried to follow the following tutorial

    http://www.informit.com/articles/art...?p=605499&rl=1
    but I must have been misunderstood something;

    1. I installed and configured One of my LAN winXP as The

    VPN server.
    created the config files, configured the

    Router/re...Tutorial
    I don't understand the meaning of the following in the

    Tutorial.
    regarding "configuring the Server":
    "You will only need to change
    the IP addresses of the DNS servers in the

    server.ovpn file, "
    a. Which IP is this??
    b. and Where to put it in the "Server Config" ????
    The DNS Server IP in the router is changing

    oftern.

    2. Can OpenVNP Client be rung on a DialUP Connection ???

    I created the Client Config files In the XP Server box.

    Copied them to
    the DialUP box. But I can't conect either.

    I don't know what am I doing wrong. I sure would

    appreciate a helping
    hand.

    TIA
    Best regards
    Charles

  2. Re: OpenVPN Problems PLZ Help !! TIA

    Snoopy :-)) wrote:
    > Tutorial.
    > regarding "configuring the Server":

    I found that section (6), but it didn't say anything about DNS :/

    > "You will only need to change
    > the IP addresses of the DNS servers in the
    >
    > server.ovpn file, "
    > a. Which IP is this??
    > b. and Where to put it in the "Server Config" ????

    You can push these options - that is, to Windows clients. Linux clients
    ignore these settings afaik.

    | push "dhcp-option DNS "

    > The DNS Server IP in the router is changing
    > oftern.

    That doesn't matter. You can use any DNS server you like, as long as it
    is reachable by the client.

    I would not recommend to set the default route to go through your VPN
    connection though, even if your clients are not on a dial-up. There's
    simply no need to do that, because your clients are connected to the
    internet themselves, so you can reach all your (base :P scnr) comps just
    as well without changing the clients' default route.

    > 2. Can OpenVNP Client be rung on a DialUP Connection ???

    I believe so. I'm not sure how much overhead the encryption is creating
    though, which very much limits the speed your connection would have.

    Regards,
    Michael

  3. Re: OpenVPN Problems PLZ Help !! TIA

    Thank you for the reply
    I hope you bear with me for some more clearifications

    >Snoopy :-)) wrote:
    >> Tutorial.
    >> regarding "configuring the Server":

    >I found that section (6), but it didn't say anything about DNS :/

    I am talking about in section (4) ie "Server config file"

    >> "You will only need to change
    >> the IP addresses of the DNS servers in the server.ovpn file, "
    >> a. Which IP is this??
    >> b. and Where to put it in the "Server Config" ????

    Is he talking about the IP address in the Router>Setup>Intenet IP
    address??

    Also In the same section (4)
    In the
    Clients config file: He say that:

    "You'll need to edit the client config files in order to enter the
    address of your DynDNS.org account (or other similar service), unless
    you have a static IP address from your ISP."

    Is he talking about my "DNS HOSTNAME or The Dynamic IP Of my ISP ??

    >You can push these options - that is, to Windows clients. Linux clients
    >ignore these settings afaik.
    >
    >| push "dhcp-option DNS "
    >

    >> The DNS Server IP in the router is changing
    >> oftern.

    >That doesn't matter. You can use any DNS server you like, as long as it
    >is reachable by the client.

    Am I corect in undertanding that the "DNS server" actually is My DNS
    Host-Name???

    >I would not recommend to set the default route to go through your VPN
    >connection though, even if your clients are not on a dial-up. There's
    >simply no need to do that, because your clients are connected to the
    >internet themselves, so you can reach all your (base :P scnr) comps just
    >as well without changing the clients' default route.

    I am not sure what you are refering to. Are you talking about the
    Router"s Advanced routing setup?? Should I remove this ??

    There is one morething I hve a problem Understanding in the tutorial.
    It's in section (2) Building certificates
    Such as; References to "Common Name"
    ie.
    When you run build-ca, you will be prompted for several entries. You
    can simply hit Enter to accept the default values taken from the
    vars.bat file you customized. The only parameter that must be
    explicitly entered is the Common Name. Enter the name of your VPN for
    this entry. (An example would be MyVPN.)

    Next, enter the following command to generate a certificate and
    private key for the server:

    build-key-server server Make sure you enter server for the Common
    Name. The rest of the settings can be left on the defaults. You can
    leave the challenge password and the optional company name blank if
    you like. Type y for yes at the last two queries, which are "Sign the
    certificate? [y/n]" and "1 out of 1 certificate requests certified,
    commit? [y/n]," respectively.

    In the "build-ca" He recomends the Name "MyVPN"
    But the "build-key-server server" He recommends using "server" for
    "Common Name."

    I've done several diferent program SetUps, Configs, etc... I never
    had so much problems in understanding as OpenVPN. Reading the
    Tutorials seem simple. Maybe I should take some "time-out" to get my
    head back in shape.

    I hope I will get some further input from you

    Thanks again
    Charles
    Now enter the following command one at a time changing the name for
    each:

    >> 2. Can OpenVNP Client be rung on a DialUP Connection ???

    >I believe so. I'm not sure how much overhead the encryption is creating
    >though, which very much limits the speed your connection would have.
    >

    >Regards,
    >Michael

  4. Re: OpenVPN Problems PLZ Help !! TIA

    Snoopy :-)) wrote:
    > Thank you for the reply
    > I hope you bear with me for some more clearifications

    I'll give it a shot

    > I am talking about in section (4) ie "Server config file"

    oh ok, I didn't look at that section...

    > Is he talking about the IP address in the Router>Setup>Intenet IP
    > address??

    i don't think so, because that would be the IP your router has on the
    internet.
    This guy means the IP of the DNS server you are using. Your router
    fetches these from your ISP automatically. Check the webinterface for
    diagnostics, you should be able to look up these IPs there somewhere.

    In the menu of my netgear router, it's Maintenance -> Router Status.
    This page says:

    | WAN Port
    | NAT (Network Address Translation) ON
    | MAC Address 00:0f:b5:19:bc:55
    | IP Address 192.168.0.250
    | DHCP Fixed
    | IP Subnet Mask 0.0.0.0
    | Domain Name Server 192.168.0.3
    | 129.206.100.160

    The IPs of my DNS servers are listed under "Domain Name Server", so it's
    192.168.0.3 and 129.206.100.160.
    (I have a somewhat special setup here, you most likely won't find an IP
    adress in a 192.168.*.* network.)

    > Also In the same section (4)
    > In the
    > Clients config file: He say that:
    >
    > "You'll need to edit the client config files in order to enter the
    > address of your DynDNS.org account (or other similar service), unless
    > you have a static IP address from your ISP."
    >
    > Is he talking about my "DNS HOSTNAME or The Dynamic IP Of my ISP ??

    Well, regarding the fact that your DynDNS hostname is just sort of an
    alias for your IP, both

    Your router periodically sends its internet IP to dynDNS.org. These guys
    create a DNS entry on one of their DNS servers, that resolves to your IP.
    So if $PC asks DynDNS "who is snoopy.dyndns.org", their server says
    "that's IP 123.123.123.123". Then $PC can connect to you using your IP,
    which he now knows.

    You will want to enter the DNS hostname there.

    > Am I corect in undertanding that the "DNS server" actually is My DNS
    > Host-Name???

    No, the DNS server is a server that your client asks questions in order
    to resolve host names.

    You should read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNS

    >> I would not recommend to set the default route to go through your VPN
    >> connection though, even if your clients are not on a dial-up. There's
    >> simply no need to do that, because your clients are connected to the
    >> internet themselves, so you can reach all your (base :P scnr) comps just
    >> as well without changing the clients' default route.
    >>

    > I am not sure what you are refering to. Are you talking about the
    > Router"s Advanced routing setup?? Should I remove this ??

    Um... I think it's best you ignored that hint for now and got the VPN
    running for starters. Then you can still pimp it up

    > [snip tutorial]
    > In the "build-ca" He recomends the Name "MyVPN"
    > But the "build-key-server server" He recommends using "server" for
    > "Common Name."

    Yes, your CA is the Certificate Authority you use to sign all the
    certificates that are used to authenticate the clients, and the server.

    The server authenticates himself to his clients with his Server
    Certificate. The clients then try to validate this certificate using the
    CA certificate that you copied to the client machine. That way you can
    be sure that you connected to the real server, instead of a fake one,
    and no-one is spying on you

    You do need to give these two entities different names for that
    mechanism to work. What you name the CA shouldn't quite matter, but your
    clients check for the server's CA to be "server", so you need to make
    sure that is the case.

    > I've done several diferent program SetUps, Configs, etc... I never
    > had so much problems in understanding as OpenVPN. Reading the
    > Tutorials seem simple. Maybe I should take some "time-out" to get my
    > head back in shape.

    SSL can indeed be quite confusing if you never dealt with it before. But
    trust me, once it works, you will love it

    The wikipedia articles about SSL and OpenVPN may give you a better
    understanding of how it all works, I've learned a lot from these...

    > Now enter the following command one at a time changing the name for
    > each:

    ??

    g'night,
    Michael

  5. Re: OpenVPN Problems PLZ Help !! TIA

    Michael Ziegler wrote:
    > Snoopy :-)) wrote:
    > You do need to give these two entities different names for that
    > mechanism to work. What you name the CA shouldn't quite matter, but your
    > clients check for the server's CA to be "server", so you need to make

    ^^ I meant "CN" here, which means the
    Common Name.
    > sure that is the case.

    I really should go to bed now (2am here)...

    Michael

  6. Re: OpenVPN Problems PLZ Help !! TIA

    Thanks very much for the quick reply.
    I too am tired tonight but I'goo over everything tomorro and let you
    know how I made out.
    Charles
    On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 02:00:05 +0200, Michael Ziegler
    wrote:

> [...]

    >and no-one is spying on you
    >
    >You do need to give these two entities different names for that
    >mechanism to work. What you name the CA shouldn't quite matter, but your
    >clients check for the server's CA to be "server", so you need to make
    >sure that is the case.
    >
    >> I've done several diferent program SetUps, Configs, etc... I never
    >> had so much problems in understanding as OpenVPN. Reading the
    >> Tutorials seem simple. Maybe I should take some "time-out" to get my
    >> head back in shape.

    >SSL can indeed be quite confusing if you never dealt with it before. But
    >trust me, once it works, you will love it
    >
    >The wikipedia articles about SSL and OpenVPN may give you a better
    >understanding of how it all works, I've learned a lot from these...
    >
    >> Now enter the following command one at a time changing the name for

  7. Re: OpenVPN Problems PLZ Help !! TIA

    Hi Michael :-))
    Well; I am back again.
    I redone everything again. according the tutorial and your
    instructions.
    I seem to be getting closer but I still can't connect.
    I finally found the DNS Servers It's at the same place in my router as
    in yors.
    Here is mine:
    Router Information
    Firmware Version:v3.37.7, Apr. 25, 2005
    Current Time:Thu, 28 Jun 2007 10:42:08
    MAC Address:00:13:10:A1:9B:4B
    Router Name:WRT54GS
    Host Name:
    Domain Name:
    Internet
    Configuration Type Login Type:PPPoE
    Login Status:Connected
    IP Address:64.229.237.101
    Subnet Mask:255.255.255.255
    Default Gateway:64.230.197.224
    DNS 1:207.164.234.193
    DNS 2:67.69.184.199
    DNS 3:
    MTU:1492
    In the Server config I put
    server :207.164.234.193 255.255.255.255

    Couldn't Connect Here is the "Log out put"
    Options error: --server directive netmask is invalid
    Use --help for more information.
    I changeged the Subnet Mask To:
    :255.255.255.0
    The log is a bit diferent But I still Can't connect.
    Options error: --server directive network/netmask combination is
    invalid
    Use --help for more information.

    I am getting closer but I am not sure where to fing the corect Subnet
    I also tried the one in the Router's "Advanced Routing"
    255.255.255.252
    Which was done follwing the Tutorials Router Config
    This is no good either.

    Trying to connect the client the following is the error
    Thu Jun 28 15:23:14 2007 OpenVPN 2.0.9 Win32-MinGW [SSL] [LZO] built
    on Oct 1 2006
    Thu Jun 28 15:23:14 2007 IMPORTANT: OpenVPN's default port number is
    now 1194, based on an official port number assignment by IANA.
    OpenVPN 2.0-beta16 and earlier used 5000 as the default port.
    Thu Jun 28 15:23:14 2007 WARNING: No server certificate verification
    method has been enabled. See http://openvpn.net/howto.html#mitm for
    more info.
    Thu Jun 28 15:23:14 2007 Cannot load certificate file client.crt:
    error:02001002:system library:fopen:No such file or directory:
    error:20074002:BIO routines:FILE_CTRL:system lib: error:140AD002:SSL
    routines:SSL_CTX_use_certificate_file:system lib
    Thu Jun 28 15:23:14 2007 Exiting

    I gues 1st I need to connect the server then worry about the client
    As I said I am not sure What Subnet Mask is needed

    Let meknow if you can help.
    Thanks again
    Charle

> [...]

    >and no-one is spying on you
    >
    >You do need to give these two entities different names for that
    >mechanism to work. What you name the CA shouldn't quite matter, but your
    >clients check for the server's CA to be "server", so you need to make
    >sure that is the case.
    >
    >> I've done several diferent program SetUps, Configs, etc... I never
    >> had so much problems in understanding as OpenVPN. Reading the
    >> Tutorials seem simple. Maybe I should take some "time-out" to get my
    >> head back in shape.

    >SSL can indeed be quite confusing if you never dealt with it before. But
    >trust me, once it works, you will love it
    >
    >The wikipedia articles about SSL and OpenVPN may give you a better
    >understanding of how it all works, I've learned a lot from these...
    >
    >> Now enter the following command one at a time changing the name for

  8. Re: OpenVPN Problems PLZ Help !! TIA

    Snoopy :-)) wrote:
    > [quite much]

    First, we should make sure your config files are correct. Did you base
    yours on this example given in your tutorial, that can be found here?
    http://www.itsatechworld.com/files/server.ovpn

    I think you have misunderstood what the "server" directive is doing.
    You're not supposed to name your DNS servers there, but the virtual
    network your clients will reside in. If you put
    | server 192.168.13.0 255.255.255.0
    into your config file, that means to OpenVPN: "act as a server, and
    assign to every client that connects an IP in the network 192.168.13.0/24".

    Your DNS Server addresses need to be Pushed to the clients - if needed
    at all...

    Maybe you can send me your config, so I could have a look at it?

    Regards,
    Michael

  9. Re: OpenVPN Problems PLZ Help !! TIA

    Thanks for the quick reply
    Looks like I misunderstood something regarding the configurations

    I am enclosing both my Server and Client configs as requested If they
    should be modyfied any way; Please do so.
    While you are looking at them I will read your reply more in detail.
    ****************
    # Sample OpenVPN 2.0 config file for #
    # multi-client server. #
    # #
    # This file is for the server side #
    # of a many-clients <-> one-server #
    # OpenVPN configuration. #
    # #
    # OpenVPN also supports #
    # single-machine <-> single-machine #
    # configurations (See the Examples page #
    # on the web site for more info). #
    # #
    # This config should work on Windows #
    # or Linux/BSD systems. Remember on #
    # Windows to quote pathnames and use #
    # double backslashes, e.g.: #
    # "C:\\Program Files\\OpenVPN\\config\\foo.key" #
    # #
    # Comments are preceded with '#' or ';' #

    # Which local IP address should OpenVPN
    # listen on? (optional)
    ;local a.b.c.d

    # Which TCP/UDP port should OpenVPN listen on?
    # If you want to run multiple OpenVPN instances
    # on the same machine, use a different port
    # number for each one. You will need to
    # open up this port on your firewall.
    port 1194

    # TCP or UDP server?
    ;proto tcp
    proto udp

    # "dev tun" will create a routed IP tunnel,
    # "dev tap" will create an ethernet tunnel.
    # Use "dev tap0" if you are ethernet bridging
    # and have precreated a tap0 virtual interface
    # and bridged it with your ethernet interface.
    # If you want to control access policies
    # over the VPN, you must create firewall
    # rules for the the TUN/TAP interface.
    # On non-Windows systems, you can give
    # an explicit unit number, such as tun0.
    # On Windows, use "dev-node" for this.
    # On most systems, the VPN will not function
    # unless you partially or fully disable
    # the firewall for the TUN/TAP interface.
    ;dev tap
    dev tun

    # Windows needs the TAP-Win32 adapter name
    # from the Network Connections panel if you
    # have more than one. On XP SP2 or higher,
    # you may need to selectively disable the
    # Windows firewall for the TAP adapter.
    # Non-Windows systems usually don't need this.
    ;dev-node MyTap

    # SSL/TLS root certificate (ca), certificate
    # (cert), and private key (key). Each client
    # and the server must have their own cert and
    # key file. The server and all clients will
    # use the same ca file.
    #
    # See the "easy-rsa" directory for a series
    # of scripts for generating RSA certificates
    # and private keys. Remember to use
    # a unique Common Name for the server
    # and each of the client certificates.
    #
    # Any X509 key management system can be used.
    # OpenVPN can also use a PKCS #12 formatted key file
    # (see "pkcs12" directive in man page).
    ca ca.crt
    cert server.crt
    key server.key # This file should be kept secret

    # Diffie hellman parameters.
    # Generate your own with:
    # openssl dhparam -out dh1024.pem 1024
    # Substitute 2048 for 1024 if you are using
    # 2048 bit keys.
    dh dh1024.pem

    # Configure server mode and supply a VPN subnet
    # for OpenVPN to draw client addresses from.
    # The server will take 10.8.0.1 for itself,
    # the rest will be made available to clients.
    # Each client will be able to reach the server
    # on 10.8.0.1. Comment this line out if you are
    # ethernet bridging. See the man page for more info.
    ;server 10.8.0.0 255.255.255.0 # This is the Original
    server 207.164.234.193 255.255.255.255 # This is My DNS 1 In Router
    ;server 67.69.184.199 255.255.255.0 # This is My DNS 2 In Router

    # Maintain a record of client <-> virtual IP address
    # associations in this file. If OpenVPN goes down or
    # is restarted, reconnecting clients can be assigned
    # the same virtual IP address from the pool that was
    # previously assigned.
    ifconfig-pool-persist ipp.txt

    # Configure server mode for ethernet bridging.
    # You must first use your OS's bridging capability
    # to bridge the TAP interface with the ethernet
    # NIC interface. Then you must manually set the
    # IP/netmask on the bridge interface, here we
    # assume 10.8.0.4/255.255.255.0. Finally we
    # must set aside an IP range in this subnet
    # (start=10.8.0.50 end=10.8.0.100) to allocate
    # to connecting clients. Leave this line commented
    # out unless you are ethernet bridging.
    ;server-bridge 10.8.0.4 255.255.255.0 10.8.0.50 10.8.0.100

    # Push routes to the client to allow it
    # to reach other private subnets behind
    # the server. Remember that these
    # private subnets will also need
    # to know to route the OpenVPN client
    # address pool (10.8.0.0/255.255.255.0)
    # back to the OpenVPN server.
    ;push "route 192.168.10.0 255.255.255.0"
    ;push "route 192.168.20.0 255.255.255.0"

    # To assign specific IP addresses to specific
    # clients or if a connecting client has a private
    # subnet behind it that should also have VPN access,
    # use the subdirectory "ccd" for client-specific
    # configuration files (see man page for more info).

    # EXAMPLE: Suppose the client
    # having the certificate common name "Thelonious"
    # also has a small subnet behind his connecting
    # machine, such as 192.168.40.128/255.255.255.248.
    # First, uncomment out these lines:
    ;client-config-dir ccd
    ;route 192.168.40.128 255.255.255.248
    # Then create a file ccd/Thelonious with this line:
    # iroute 192.168.40.128 255.255.255.248
    # This will allow Thelonious' private subnet to
    # access the VPN. This example will only work
    # if you are routing, not bridging, i.e. you are
    # using "dev tun" and "server" directives.

    # EXAMPLE: Suppose you want to give
    # Thelonious a fixed VPN IP address of 10.9.0.1.
    # First uncomment out these lines:
    ;client-config-dir ccd
    ;route 10.9.0.0 255.255.255.252
    # Then add this line to ccd/Thelonious:
    # ifconfig-push 10.9.0.1 10.9.0.2

    # Suppose that you want to enable different
    # firewall access policies for different groups
    # of clients. There are two methods:
    # (1) Run multiple OpenVPN daemons, one for each
    # group, and firewall the TUN/TAP interface
    # for each group/daemon appropriately.
    # (2) (Advanced) Create a script to dynamically
    # modify the firewall in response to access
    # from different clients. See man
    # page for more info on learn-address script.
    ;learn-address ./script

    # If enabled, this directive will configure
    # all clients to redirect their default
    # network gateway through the VPN, causing
    # all IP traffic such as web browsing and
    # and DNS lookups to go through the VPN
    # (The OpenVPN server machine may need to NAT
    # the TUN/TAP interface to the internet in
    # order for this to work properly).
    # CAVEAT: May break client's network config if
    # client's local DHCP server packets get routed
    # through the tunnel. Solution: make sure
    # client's local DHCP server is reachable via
    # a more specific route than the default route
    # of 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0.
    ;push "redirect-gateway"

    # Certain Windows-specific network settings
    # can be pushed to clients, such as DNS
    # or WINS server addresses. CAVEAT:
    # http://openvpn.net/faq.html#dhcpcaveats
    ;push "dhcp-option DNS 10.8.0.1"
    ;push "dhcp-option WINS 10.8.0.1"

    # Uncomment this directive to allow different
    # clients to be able to "see" each other.
    # By default, clients will only see the server.
    # To force clients to only see the server, you
    # will also need to appropriately firewall the
    # server's TUN/TAP interface.
    ;client-to-client

    # Uncomment this directive if multiple clients
    # might connect with the same certificate/key
    # files or common names. This is recommended
    # only for testing purposes. For production use,
    # each client should have its own certificate/key
    # pair.
    #
    # IF YOU HAVE NOT GENERATED INDIVIDUAL
    # CERTIFICATE/KEY PAIRS FOR EACH CLIENT,
    # EACH HAVING ITS OWN UNIQUE "COMMON NAME",
    # UNCOMMENT THIS LINE OUT.
    ;duplicate-cn

    # The keepalive directive causes ping-like
    # messages to be sent back and forth over
    # the link so that each side knows when
    # the other side has gone down.
    # Ping every 10 seconds, assume that remote
    # peer is down if no ping received during
    # a 120 second time period.
    keepalive 10 120

    # For extra security beyond that provided
    # by SSL/TLS, create an "HMAC firewall"
    # to help block DoS attacks and UDP port flooding.
    #
    # Generate with:
    # openvpn --genkey --secret ta.key
    #
    # The server and each client must have
    # a copy of this key.
    # The second parameter should be '0'
    # on the server and '1' on the clients.
    ;tls-auth ta.key 0 # This file is secret

    # Select a cryptographic cipher.
    # This config item must be copied to
    # the client config file as well.
    ;cipher BF-CBC # Blowfish (default)
    ;cipher AES-128-CBC # AES
    ;cipher DES-EDE3-CBC # Triple-DES

    # Enable compression on the VPN link.
    # If you enable it here, you must also
    # enable it in the client config file.
    comp-lzo

    # The maximum number of concurrently connected
    # clients we want to allow.
    ;max-clients 100

    # It's a good idea to reduce the OpenVPN
    # daemon's privileges after initialization.
    #
    # You can uncomment this out on
    # non-Windows systems.
    ;user nobody
    ;group nobody

    # The persist options will try to avoid
    # accessing certain resources on restart
    # that may no longer be accessible because
    # of the privilege downgrade.
    persist-key
    persist-tun

    # Output a short status file showing
    # current connections, truncated
    # and rewritten every minute.
    status openvpn-status.log

    # By default, log messages will go to the syslog (or
    # on Windows, if running as a service, they will go to
    # the "\Program Files\OpenVPN\log" directory).
    # Use log or log-append to override this default.
    # "log" will truncate the log file on OpenVPN startup,
    # while "log-append" will append to it. Use one
    # or the other (but not both).
    ;log openvpn.log
    ;log-append openvpn.log

    # Set the appropriate level of log
    # file verbosity.
    #
    # 0 is silent, except for fatal errors
    # 4 is reasonable for general usage
    # 5 and 6 can help to debug connection problems
    # 9 is extremely verbose
    verb 3

    # Silence repeating messages. At most 20
    # sequential messages of the same message
    # category will be output to the log.
    ;mute 20
    *************************************
    The Client Config:
    ******************
    # Sample client-side OpenVPN 2.0 config file #
    # for connecting to multi-client server. #
    # #
    # This configuration can be used by multiple #
    # clients, however each client should have #
    # its own cert and key files. #
    # #
    # On Windows, you might want to rename this #
    # file so it has a .ovpn extension #

    # Specify that we are a client and that we
    # will be pulling certain config file directives
    # from the server.
    client

    # Use the same setting as you are using on
    # the server.
    # On most systems, the VPN will not function
    # unless you partially or fully disable
    # the firewall for the TUN/TAP interface.
    ;dev tap
    dev tun

    # Windows needs the TAP-Win32 adapter name
    # from the Network Connections panel
    # if you have more than one. On XP SP2,
    # you may need to disable the firewall
    # for the TAP adapter.
    ;dev-node MyTap

    # Are we connecting to a TCP or
    # UDP server? Use the same setting as
    # on the server.
    ;proto tcp
    proto udp

    # The hostname/IP and port of the server.
    # You can have multiple remote entries
    # to load balance between the servers.
    ;remote my-server-1 1194 # Thi is the ORIGINAL
    ;remote my-server-2 1194
    remote 207.164.234.193 1194 # This is My DNS 1 In Router
    ;remote 67.69.184.199 1194 # This is My DNS 2 In Router

    # Choose a random host from the remote
    # list for load-balancing. Otherwise
    # try hosts in the order specified.
    ;remote-random

    # Keep trying indefinitely to resolve the
    # host name of the OpenVPN server. Very useful
    # on machines which are not permanently connected
    # to the internet such as laptops.
    resolv-retry infinite

    # Most clients don't need to bind to
    # a specific local port number.
    nobind

    # Downgrade privileges after initialization (non-Windows only)
    ;user nobody
    ;group nobody

    # Try to preserve some state across restarts.
    persist-key
    persist-tun

    # If you are connecting through an
    # HTTP proxy to reach the actual OpenVPN
    # server, put the proxy server/IP and
    # port number here. See the man page
    # if your proxy server requires
    # authentication.
    ;http-proxy-retry # retry on connection failures
    ;http-proxy [proxy server] [proxy port #]

    # Wireless networks often produce a lot
    # of duplicate packets. Set this flag
    # to silence duplicate packet warnings.
    ;mute-replay-warnings

    # SSL/TLS parms.
    # See the server config file for more
    # description. It's best to use
    # a separate .crt/.key file pair
    # for each client. A single ca
    # file can be used for all clients.
    ca ca.crt
    cert client.crt
    key client.key

    # Verify server certificate by checking
    # that the certicate has the nsCertType
    # field set to "server". This is an
    # important precaution to protect against
    # a potential attack discussed here:
    # http://openvpn.net/howto.html#mitm
    #
    # To use this feature, you will need to generate
    # your server certificates with the nsCertType
    # field set to "server". The build-key-server
    # script in the easy-rsa folder will do this.
    ;ns-cert-type server

    # If a tls-auth key is used on the server
    # then every client must also have the key.
    ;tls-auth ta.key 1

    # Select a cryptographic cipher.
    # If the cipher option is used on the server
    # then you must also specify it here.
    ;cipher x

    # Enable compression on the VPN link.
    # Don't enable this unless it is also
    # enabled in the server config file.
    comp-lzo

    # Set log file verbosity.

    **************************************
    >Snoopy :-)) wrote:
    >> [quite much]

    >First, we should make sure your config files are correct. Did you base
    >yours on this example given in your tutorial, that can be found here?
    >http://www.itsatechworld.com/files/server.ovpn
    >
    >I think you have misunderstood what the "server" directive is doing.
    >You're not supposed to name your DNS servers there, but the virtual
    >network your clients will reside in. If you put
    >| server 192.168.13.0 255.255.255.0
    >into your config file, that means to OpenVPN: "act as a server, and
    >assign to every client that connects an IP in the network 192.168.13.0/24".
    >
    >Your DNS Server addresses need to be Pushed to the clients - if needed
    >at all...
    >
    >Maybe you can send me your config, so I could have a look at it?
    >
    >Regards,
    >Michael

  10. Re: OpenVPN Problems PLZ Help !! TIA

    I must appologize for being an idiot

    >First, we should make sure your config files are correct. Did you base
    >yours on this example given in your tutorial, that can be found here?
    >http://www.itsatechworld.com/files/server.ovpn

    Yes I used the above wevsite's tutorial
    However; I screwed up following the instruction
    Instead of getting his Sample Config files
    I used the "OpenVPN" Sample Files and Edited them

    I am sure you've already seen my idiocity from the previously sent
    Config files.
    I just corected the mistake and am going back to study further your
    instructions below;

    >I think you have misunderstood what the "server" directive is doing.
    >You're not supposed to name your DNS servers there, but the virtual
    >network your clients will reside in. If you put
    >| server 192.168.13.0 255.255.255.0
    >into your config file, that means to OpenVPN: "act as a server, and
    >assign to every client that connects an IP in the network 192.168.13.0/24".
    >
    >Your DNS Server addresses need to be Pushed to the clients - if needed
    >at all...
    >
    >Maybe you can send me your config, so I could have a look at it?
    >
    >Regards,
    >Michael

  11. Re: OpenVPN Problems PLZ Help !! TIA

    BiNgO !!! :-)) Looks like I got it !

    I installed the corect "sample .ovpn files" from the tutorial"
    The client.ovpn didn't need any modification at all
    The "server.ovpn" was a bit more problematic.

    1. Reading your instruction I understand the "Push" functions better
    and took the IP from the Router's Rooting Table for the
    "server.ovpn"

    2. Trying to connect I was getting the Following error:
    "TCP/UDP: Socket bind failed on local address 192.168.1.150:1194: The
    requested address is not valid in its context.
    Fri Jun 29 10:26:31 2007 Exiting"

    I remembered reading it somwhere that the
    entry in the "server.ovpn"
    ;local 192.168.1.150
    is optional. So I commented it out. Then the connection went fine.
    I still don't understand the meaning of this function so I have to
    read up on it further.
    Anyway It's working !!

    You sure "made my day" :-) I don't know where I woould be without
    your hand holding. Thanks a million for your patience and help :-))

    I want to Learn more regarding regarding the use etc..., of VPN. So
    I get back to learning it further.
    Next, I will try installing it on my LINUX Box.

    BTY:
    The client connections work bot from insde and out side of the
    LAN. I tried it with DialUP from the outside of the LAN and it's OK
    also.

    I am sending you my my "server.ovpn" in case you have any suggestions.

    Once again thanks a million for everything
    Charles

    Here is my "server.ovpn" (Notice the 1st (local) line
    ************

    ;local 192.168.1.150 # This is the IP address of the real network
    interface on the server connected to the router

    port 1194 # This is the port OpenVPN is running on - make sure the
    router is port forwarding this port to the above IP

    proto udp # UDP tends to perform better than TCP for VPN

    mssfix 1400 # This setting fixed problems I was having with apps like
    Remote Desktop

    push "dhcp-option DNS 207.164.234.193" # Replace the Xs with the IP
    address of the DNS for your home network (usually your ISP's DNS)

    push "dhcp-option DNS 67.69.184.199" # A second DNS server if you
    have one

    dev tap

    #dev-node MyTAP #If you renamed your TAP interface or have more than
    one TAP interface then remove the # at the beginning and change
    "MyTAP" to its name

    ca "C:\\Program Files\\OpenVPN\\easy-rsa\\keys\\ca.crt"

    cert "C:\\Program Files\\OpenVPN\\easy-rsa\\keys\\server.crt"

    key "C:\\Program Files\\OpenVPN\\easy-rsa\\keys\\server.key" # This
    file should be kept secret

    dh "C:\\Program Files\\OpenVPN\\easy-rsa\\keys\\dh1024.pem"

    server 192.168.10.0 255.255.255.252 #This is Router's Adv. Routing
    ;server 192.168.10.0 255.255.255.128 # This assigns the virtual IP
    address and subent to the server's OpenVPN connection. Make sure the
    Routing Table entry matches this.

    ifconfig-pool-persist ipp.txt

    push "redirect-gateway def1" # This will force the clients to use the
    home network's internet connection

    keepalive 10 120

    cipher BF-CBC # Blowfish (default) encryption

    comp-lzo

    max-clients 100 # Assign the maximum number of clients here

    persist-key

    persist-tun

    status openvpn-status.log

    verb 1 # This sets how detailed the log file will be. 0 causes
    problems and higher numbers can give you more detail for
    troubleshooting

    # lines starting with # or ; will not be read by OpenVPN

    >First, we should make sure your config files are correct. Did you base
    >yours on this example given in your tutorial, that can be found here?
    >http://www.itsatechworld.com/files/server.ovpn
    >
    >I think you have misunderstood what the "server" directive is doing.
    >You're not supposed to name your DNS servers there, but the virtual
    >network your clients will reside in. If you put
    >| server 192.168.13.0 255.255.255.0
    >into your config file, that means to OpenVPN: "act as a server, and
    >assign to every client that connects an IP in the network 192.168.13.0/24".
    >
    >Your DNS Server addresses need to be Pushed to the clients - if needed
    >at all...
    >
    >Maybe you can send me your config, so I could have a look at it?
    >
    >Regards,
    >Michael

  12. Re: OpenVPN Problems PLZ Help !! TIA

    Snoopy :-)) wrote:
    > You sure "made my day" :-) I don't know where I woould be without
    > your hand holding. Thanks a million for your patience and help :-))

    You're welcome

    > Here is my "server.ovpn" (Notice the 1st (local) line

    > server 192.168.10.0 255.255.255.252 #This is Router's Adv. Routing

    Why that subnet mask? Is there a reason not to use 255.255.255.0?

    > push "redirect-gateway def1" # This will force the clients to use the
    > home network's internet connection

    You can do that, but I wouldn't recommend it.
    The Clients have their own internet connection, and unless you really
    really need to do such a redirection, then you shouldn't - it only
    causes more traffic on your line and reduces everyone's connection speed.

    > cipher BF-CBC # Blowfish (default) encryption

    I prefer AES256 here, because it's the most secure algorithm that exists
    (afaik).

    > max-clients 100 # Assign the maximum number of clients here

    Your subnet can only hold 2 IPs plus network plus broadcast, so you
    can't have a maximum of 100 clients simply because your address range is
    too small.

    Regards,
    Michael

  13. Re: OpenVPN Problems PLZ Help !! TIA

    Hi Michael
    Thanks for the Reply. I thought you might have gave up on me.
    I wouldn't blame you.
    I spoke prematurely in my previous Message since I still have a
    problem with Establishing the "Client Connection.
    Frankly speaking' I am just about ready to throw the towel in

    Yesterday I noticed, that My DynDNS server Changed. I thought these
    would be permenant. Anyway I needed to re-enter the changes in the
    Configs.

    The server connects
    as long as I Comment out the "local" in the conf ig
    Otherwise I get the following error:

    Mon Jul 02 15:18:19 2007 TCP/UDP: Socket bind failed on local address
    192.168.1.150:1194: The requested address is not valid in its context.
    Mon Jul 02 15:18:19 2007 Exiting

    I have also Made the changes ing the "server.ovpn" according to your
    sugestions.

    The Client connection gives the following Error:
    Mon Jul 02 15:36:24 2007 IMPORTANT: OpenVPN's default port number is
    now 1194, based on an official port number assignment by IANA.
    OpenVPN 2.0-beta16 and earlier used 5000 as the default port.
    Mon Jul 02 15:36:24 2007 Re-using SSL/TLS context
    Mon Jul 02 15:36:24 2007 LZO compression initialized
    Mon Jul 02 15:36:24 2007 UDPv4 link local: [undef]
    Mon Jul 02 15:36:24 2007 UDPv4 link remote: 70.50.196.177:1194
    Mon Jul 02 15:37:24 2007 TLS Error: TLS key negotiation failed to
    occur within 60 seconds (check your network connectivity)
    Mon Jul 02 15:37:24 2007 TLS Error: TLS handshake failed
    Mon Jul 02 15:37:24 2007 SIGUSR1[soft,tls-error] received, process
    restarting

    I don't know what to do any more. Also I am worried that you might
    run out of patience with me.

    Just in case you feel like spending more time on me; I am sending you;

    My "routing table and the Config files.
    **********************************
    Routing Table Entry List

    Destination LAN IP Subnet Mask Gateway Interface
    64.230.197.1 255.255.255.255 0.0.0.0 WAN (Internet)
    192.168.10.0 255.255.255.252 192.168.1.150 LAN & Wireless
    192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0 LAN & Wireless
    0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 64.230.197.1 WAN (Internet)

    *************************
    "sever.ovpn"
    ;local 192.168.1.150 # This is the IP address of the real network
    interface on the server connected to the router

    port 1194 # This is the port OpenVPN is running on - make sure the
    router is port forwarding this port to the above IP

    proto udp # UDP tends to perform better than TCP for VPN

    mssfix 1400 # This setting fixed problems I was having with apps like
    Remote Desktop
    push "dhcp-option DNS 206.47.244.50" # NEW
    ;push "dhcp-option DNS 207.164.234.193" # Replace the Xs with the IP
    address of the DNS for your home network (usually your ISP's DNS)

    push "dhcp-option DNS 206.47.244.106" # NEW
    ;push "dhcp-option DNS 67.69.184.199" # A second DNS server if you
    have one

    dev tap

    #dev-node MyTAP #If you renamed your TAP interface or have more than
    one TAP interface then remove the # at the beginning and change
    "MyTAP" to its name

    ca "C:\\Program Files\\OpenVPN\\easy-rsa\\keys\\ca.crt"

    cert "C:\\Program Files\\OpenVPN\\easy-rsa\\keys\\server.crt"

    key "C:\\Program Files\\OpenVPN\\easy-rsa\\keys\\server.key" # This
    file should be kept secret

    dh "C:\\Program Files\\OpenVPN\\easy-rsa\\keys\\dh1024.pem"

    server 192.168.10.0 255.255.255.0 # Changed NEW Subnet
    ;server 192.168.10.0 255.255.255.252 #This is Router's Adv. Routing
    ;server 192.168.10.0 255.255.255.128 # This assigns the virtual IP
    address and subent to the server's OpenVPN connection. Make sure the
    Routing Table entry matches this.

    ifconfig-pool-persist ipp.txt

    ;push "redirect-gateway def1" # Changed by "Commenting it OUT"
    ;push "redirect-gateway def1" # This will force the clients to use
    the home network's internet connection

    keepalive 10 120

    cipher AES256 # NEW Changed as Suggested
    ;cipher BF-CBC # Blowfish (default) encryption

    comp-lzo

    max-clients 4 # NEW Changed as Suggested
    ;max-clients 100 # Assign the maximum number of clients here

    persist-key

    persist-tun

    status openvpn-status.log

    verb 1 # This sets how detailed the log file will be. 0 causes
    problems and higher numbers can give you more detail for
    troubleshooting

    # lines starting with # or ; will not be read by OpenVPN
    ***********************
    "client1.ovpn"

    client

    dev tap

    #dev-node MyTAP #If you renamed your TAP interface or have more than
    one TAP interface then remove the # at the beginning and change
    "MyTAP" to its name

    proto udp

    remote takacs.homelinux.com 1194 # NEW
    ;remote YOURHOST.dyndns.org 1194 #You will need to enter you dyndns
    account or static IP address here. The number following it is the port
    you set in the server's config

    route 192.168.10.0 255.255.255.0 vpn_gateway 3 #This NEW
    ;route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 vpn_gateway 3 #This it the IP
    address scheme and subnet of your normal network your server is on.
    Your router would usually be 192.168.1.1

    resolv-retry infinite

    nobind

    persist-key

    persist-tun

    ca "C:\\Program Files\\OpenVPN\\easy-rsa\\keys\\ca.crt"

    cert "C:\\Program Files\\OpenVPN\\easy-rsa\\keys\\client1.crt" #
    Change the next two lines to match the files in the keys directory.
    This should be be different for each client.

    key "C:\\Program Files\\OpenVPN\\easy-rsa\\keys\\client1.key" # This
    file should be kept secret

    ns-cert-type server

    cipher AES256 # Changed As suggested
    ;cipher BF-CBC # Blowfish (default) encrytion

    comp-lzo

    verb 1

    >Snoopy :-)) wrote:
    >> You sure "made my day" :-) I don't know where I woould be without
    >> your hand holding. Thanks a million for your patience and help :-))

    >You're welcome
    >
    >> Here is my "server.ovpn" (Notice the 1st (local) line

    >> server 192.168.10.0 255.255.255.252 #This is Router's Adv. Routing

    >Why that subnet mask? Is there a reason not to use 255.255.255.0?
    >
    >> push "redirect-gateway def1" # This will force the clients to use the
    >> home network's internet connection

    >You can do that, but I wouldn't recommend it.
    >The Clients have their own internet connection, and unless you really
    >really need to do such a redirection, then you shouldn't - it only
    >causes more traffic on your line and reduces everyone's connection speed.
    >
    >> cipher BF-CBC # Blowfish (default) encryption

    >I prefer AES256 here, because it's the most secure algorithm that exists
    >(afaik).
    >
    >> max-clients 100 # Assign the maximum number of clients here

    >Your subnet can only hold 2 IPs plus network plus broadcast, so you
    >can't have a maximum of 100 clients simply because your address range is
    >too small.
    >
    >Regards,
    >Michael

  14. Re: OpenVPN Problems PLZ Help !! TIA

    Hi,

    Snoopy :-)) wrote:
    > Yesterday I noticed, that My DynDNS server Changed. I thought these
    > would be permenant. Anyway I needed to re-enter the changes in the
    > Configs.

    Did your DNS Name change, or the name servers' IP? Normally, the DNS
    names you registered should indeed be permanent, because otherwise the
    whole stuff wouldn't work :/

    > The server connects

    huh?
    Normally, the clients connect to the server, not vice-versa :/

    If you mean that you can only connect to your server when that line is
    commented out, than that indicates that you picked the wrong IP here...

    > as long as I Comment out the "local" in the conf ig

    You don't need that option anyway. It is used to tell OpenVPN to only
    bind on a specific device. Since you only have one, that parameter isn't
    the least bit important

    > Otherwise I get the following error:
    >
    > Mon Jul 02 15:18:19 2007 TCP/UDP: Socket bind failed on local address
    > 192.168.1.150:1194: The requested address is not valid in its context.
    > Mon Jul 02 15:18:19 2007 Exiting

    I believe that means you either typed the wrong IP address there, or the
    port is already in use.
    But since you want to remove that local stuff there anyway, don't care

    > I have also Made the changes ing the "server.ovpn" according to your
    > sugestions.

    OK

    > The Client connection gives the following Error:
    > Mon Jul 02 15:36:24 2007 IMPORTANT: OpenVPN's default port number is
    > now 1194, based on an official port number assignment by IANA.
    > OpenVPN 2.0-beta16 and earlier used 5000 as the default port.

    Looks like OpenVPN messes up the port numbers somehow :/ Add "port 1194"
    to your config file, that should make it work...

    > Mon Jul 02 15:37:24 2007 TLS Error: TLS key negotiation failed to
    > occur within 60 seconds (check your network connectivity)

    Looks like the port forwarding on the server side isn't working.
    Regarding the fact that OpenVPN wasn't able to bind to the IP you
    provided, you should double-check that you forwarded port 1194/UDP to
    the correct IP.

    > I don't know what to do any more. Also I am worried that you might
    > run out of patience with me.

    We'll see.

    > Routing Table Entry List
    >
    > Destination LAN IP Subnet Mask Gateway Interface
    > 64.230.197.1 255.255.255.255 0.0.0.0 WAN (Internet)
    > 192.168.10.0 255.255.255.252 192.168.1.150 LAN & Wireless
    > 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0 LAN & Wireless
    > 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 64.230.197.1 WAN (Internet)

    So - which network is the one that actually connects to your LAN? Have
    you tried to establish a VPN connection only via your local LAN yet?
    I think you should first get it to run locally, if that works using it
    over the Internet won't be too difficult.

    > *************************
    > "sever.ovpn"
    > ;local 192.168.1.150 # This is the IP address of the real network
    > interface on the server connected to the router
    >
    > port 1194 # This is the port OpenVPN is running on - make sure the
    > router is port forwarding this port to the above IP
    >
    > proto udp # UDP tends to perform better than TCP for VPN
    >
    > mssfix 1400 # This setting fixed problems I was having with apps like
    > Remote Desktop
    > push "dhcp-option DNS 206.47.244.50" # NEW
    > ;push "dhcp-option DNS 207.164.234.193" # Replace the Xs with the IP
    > address of the DNS for your home network (usually your ISP's DNS)
    >
    > push "dhcp-option DNS 206.47.244.106" # NEW
    > ;push "dhcp-option DNS 67.69.184.199" # A second DNS server if you
    > have one
    >
    > dev tap
    >
    > #dev-node MyTAP #If you renamed your TAP interface or have more than
    > one TAP interface then remove the # at the beginning and change
    > "MyTAP" to its name
    >
    > ca "C:\\Program Files\\OpenVPN\\easy-rsa\\keys\\ca.crt"
    >
    > cert "C:\\Program Files\\OpenVPN\\easy-rsa\\keys\\server.crt"
    >
    > key "C:\\Program Files\\OpenVPN\\easy-rsa\\keys\\server.key" # This
    > file should be kept secret
    >
    > dh "C:\\Program Files\\OpenVPN\\easy-rsa\\keys\\dh1024.pem"
    >
    > server 192.168.10.0 255.255.255.0 # Changed NEW Subnet
    > ;server 192.168.10.0 255.255.255.252 #This is Router's Adv. Routing
    > ;server 192.168.10.0 255.255.255.128 # This assigns the virtual IP
    > address and subent to the server's OpenVPN connection. Make sure the
    > Routing Table entry matches this.
    >
    > ifconfig-pool-persist ipp.txt
    >
    > ;push "redirect-gateway def1" # Changed by "Commenting it OUT"
    > ;push "redirect-gateway def1" # This will force the clients to use
    > the home network's internet connection
    >
    > keepalive 10 120
    >
    > cipher AES256 # NEW Changed as Suggested
    > ;cipher BF-CBC # Blowfish (default) encryption
    >
    > comp-lzo
    >
    > max-clients 4 # NEW Changed as Suggested
    > ;max-clients 100 # Assign the maximum number of clients here
    >
    > persist-key
    >
    > persist-tun
    >
    > status openvpn-status.log
    >
    > verb 1 # This sets how detailed the log file will be. 0 causes
    > problems and higher numbers can give you more detail for
    > troubleshooting

    maybe you should dump that "server" line and replace it with the lines
    it expands to (check the manpage, these are listed there)...

    > ***********************
    > "client1.ovpn"
    >
    > client
    >
    > dev tap
    >
    > #dev-node MyTAP #If you renamed your TAP interface or have more than
    > one TAP interface then remove the # at the beginning and change
    > "MyTAP" to its name
    >
    > proto udp
    >

    > remote takacs.homelinux.com 1194 # NEW

    use "port 1194" here, that works for sure

    > ;remote YOURHOST.dyndns.org 1194 #You will need to enter you dyndns
    > account or static IP address here. The number following it is the port
    > you set in the server's config
    >
    > route 192.168.10.0 255.255.255.0 vpn_gateway 3 #This NEW
    > ;route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 vpn_gateway 3 #This it the IP
    > address scheme and subnet of your normal network your server is on.
    > Your router would usually be 192.168.1.1
    >
    > resolv-retry infinite
    >
    > nobind
    >
    > persist-key
    >
    > persist-tun
    >
    > ca "C:\\Program Files\\OpenVPN\\easy-rsa\\keys\\ca.crt"
    >
    > cert "C:\\Program Files\\OpenVPN\\easy-rsa\\keys\\client1.crt" #
    > Change the next two lines to match the files in the keys directory.
    > This should be be different for each client.
    >
    > key "C:\\Program Files\\OpenVPN\\easy-rsa\\keys\\client1.key" # This
    > file should be kept secret
    >
    > ns-cert-type server
    >

    > cipher AES256 # Changed As suggested
    > ;cipher BF-CBC # Blowfish (default) encrytion
    >
    > comp-lzo
    >
    > verb 1

    you should add the "mssfix" option in here as well.

    I'm currently running a little OpenVPN network between two servers and
    multiple clients on each server. These are the config files I'm using:

    ********* server ***********

    ********* client ***********
    | client
    | float
    | nobind
    | mssfix
    |
    | tun-mtu 1500
    | fragment 1300
    |
    | dev tun
    |
    | remote funzt-halt.net
    | port 1194
    | proto udp
    |
    | persist-tun
    | persist-key
    | cipher AES-256-CBC
    |
    | tls-client
    | ca /etc/openvpn/certs/geeknet_fhn_ca.pem
    | cert /etc/openvpn/certs/geeknet_fhn_mistagee.crt.pem
    | key /etc/openvpn/certs/geeknet_fhn_mistagee.key.pem
    |
    | auth SHA1
    | tls-remote node2.geek-net.de
    |
    | up /etc/openvpn/tun-up.sh
    | down /etc/openvpn/tun-down.sh
    |
    | pull
    |
    | #user nobody
    | #group nogroup
    |
    | verb 3

    node2.geek-net.de is the CN of the server's certificate, while
    funzt-halt.net is the hostname that will be connected to.

    Btw, what are the firewall settings on the server machine? Do you block
    ICMP? That's a BadIdeaâ„¢ in general, but I'm not sure whether that
    affects OpenVPN or not...

    >> Snoopy :-)) wrote:

    btw, please http://learn.to/quote - thanks

    Good luck,
    Michael

  15. Re: OpenVPN Problems PLZ Help !! TIA

    Hi Michael :-))
    Finally !! It's working. Thanks to you. :-)

    The bloody problem was; as you suggested in the
    Router's Port Forwarding SetUp.
    I had it set forward to 192.168.1.150
    As was Instructed in the Tutorial
    Asoon as I changed it to the "Server's LAN IP"
    It worked both for the Clients Inside the LAN as well as
    outside from a DialUp connection. Although for the DialUp it was slow
    in connecting.

    I still don't understand why it doesn't work with the Tutorial's
    sugested 192.168.1.150

    One more minor question:
    In your previous post you suggested that I use in the Config files
    " cipher AES256 instead of cipher BF-CBC"
    However I noticed that in yours the Typo is:
    cipher AES-256-CBC
    Should I change mine to the same Typo as yor or just leave it as;
    AES256 ??

    Now I go back for further studies and readiing your "sample configs.

    Once again thanks a million for your patience and help.
    You sure "Made My Day" :-))
    Charles

    BTY:

    >Snoopy :-)) wrote:
    >> Yesterday I noticed, that My DynDNS server Changed. I thought these
    >> would be permenant. Anyway I needed to re-enter the changes in the
    >> Configs.

    >Did your DNS Name change, or the name servers' IP? Normally, the DNS
    >names you registered should indeed be permanent, because otherwise the
    >whole stuff wouldn't work :/

    It was the Name servers IPs
    Charles

  16. Re: OpenVPN Problems PLZ Help !! TIA

    Snoopy :-)) wrote:
    > Hi Michael :-))
    > Finally !! It's working. Thanks to you. :-)

    yay

    > The bloody problem was; as you suggested in the
    > Router's Port Forwarding SetUp.
    > I had it set forward to 192.168.1.150
    > As was Instructed in the Tutorial
    > Asoon as I changed it to the "Server's LAN IP"

    Is 192.168.1.150 one of the server's IPs? Otherwise it can't work,
    because your router tries to forward the packages to the wrong IP :/

    > It worked both for the Clients Inside the LAN as well as
    > outside from a DialUp connection. Although for the DialUp it was slow
    > in connecting.

    naturally.

    > I still don't understand why it doesn't work with the Tutorial's
    > sugested 192.168.1.150

    see above

    > One more minor question:
    > In your previous post you suggested that I use in the Config files
    > " cipher AES256 instead of cipher BF-CBC"
    > However I noticed that in yours the Typo is:
    > cipher AES-256-CBC
    > Should I change mine to the same Typo as yor or just leave it as;
    > AES256 ??

    The spelling in the config files I posted is definitely correct. AES256
    is the commonly used name for that algorithm, but OpenVPN expects
    AES-256-CBC.

    > Now I go back for further studies and readiing your "sample configs.
    >
    > Once again thanks a million for your patience and help.

    you're very welcome

    Michael

+ Reply to Thread