http://blackbox - simple but... - Connectivity

This is a discussion on http://blackbox - simple but... - Connectivity ; Hi all, I hope that some of you have ideas regarding this issue. I would like to add a device to my local network (lets call it "Blackbox"). I have the possibility to edit the software in the Blackbox. I ...

  1. http://blackbox - simple but...

    Hi all,

    I hope that some of you have ideas regarding this issue.

    I would like to add a device to my local network (lets call it "Blackbox").
    I have the possibility to edit the software in the Blackbox.

    I have one "simple" demand to Blackbox:
    It must always be possible to enter http://Blackbox in a browser on every PC
    in the local network and then the internal webpage of the Blackbox must be
    loaded in that browser.

    I have one "simple" demand to every PC on my local network:
    No setup procedure necessary. (eg. ip/name association, DNS IP)

    I look forward to read if any of you have ideas to solve this.

    Best regards
    Flemming

  2. Re: http://blackbox - simple but...

    On 14 jun, 09:51, "Flemming L. Baerentsen" wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I hope that some of you have ideas regarding this issue.
    >
    > I would like to add a device to my local network (lets call it "Blackbox").
    > I have the possibility to edit the software in the Blackbox.
    >
    > I have one "simple" demand to Blackbox:
    > It must always be possible to enterhttp://Blackboxin a browser on every PC
    > in the local network and then the internal webpage of the Blackbox must be
    > loaded in that browser.
    >
    > I have one "simple" demand to every PC on my local network:
    > No setup procedure necessary. (eg. ip/name association, DNS IP)
    >
    > I look forward to read if any of you have ideas to solve this.
    >
    > Best regards
    > Flemming

    Start reading the manuals on DHCP and DNS because you will need to set
    up these services in your network to make this work. Unless you want
    to go to each machine and edit the /etc/hosts file (\windows
    \system32\drivers\etc on Windows). And from your words I understand
    you do not want to do this.

    DHCP will provide every machine with DNS settings at boot time. If you
    add DDNS to DHCP every dynamic ip address will be added to DNS as
    well. This should also happenn for host Blackbox.

    In short, read the howto's. There's lots of info on the web. This is
    very basic knowledge. But do expect some level of inital setup on some
    or all machines depending on the current situation. No magic will be
    performed.

    - Jan

+ Reply to Thread