Network / DSL / Internet Problem. Please Help! - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Network / DSL / Internet Problem. Please Help! - Connectivity ; Hello, I am desperate need of some networking help. I recently purchased a Linksys WRT54G Wireless router to use with two desktop computers (One Windows Vista Ultimate and One Windows XP Home) I have both desktop systems connected to the ...

  1. Network / DSL / Internet Problem. Please Help!

    Hello,

    I am desperate need of some networking help. I recently purchased a Linksys
    WRT54G Wireless router to use with two desktop computers (One Windows Vista
    Ultimate and One Windows XP Home) I have both desktop systems connected to
    the router using wires. I have my notebook computer connected wirelessly as
    well as my AppleTV unit connected wirelessly. This is why I bought the
    wireless router for the notebook and Apple TV. The notebook has Windows
    Vista Home Premium on it.

    The problem I am having is that after booting up and doing some work on my
    desktop computer and then leaving for awhile, when I come back the network
    connection has dropped to limited connectivity and no internet access. Also,
    the notebook and Apple TV can't connect to the internet either. I have
    checked with my ISP and they have no problems reaching the DSL modem so this
    indicates that I have a problem at my end. If I unplug the router and plug
    it back in everything clears up and I again have internet access.

    So I don't know if it is my computers that are doing something that is
    causing the network to get messed up or if it is the router. I have tried to
    pay attention to what my computer does when I am away and the only thing I
    can think of is the power save functions. I have looked for everything I can
    find dealing with power save and the network card and have turned it off. I
    am waiting now to see if the problem is corrected. If it still happens I don't
    know what to do. I don't know much about networking, etc.

    Any suggestions? Please!

    =(8)

  2. Re: Network / DSL / Internet Problem. Please Help!

    "=(8)" <=(8) @ =(8) . =(8)> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am desperate need of some networking help. I recently purchased a
    > Linksys WRT54G Wireless router to use with two desktop computers (One
    > Windows Vista Ultimate and One Windows XP Home) I have both desktop
    > systems connected to the router using wires. I have my notebook computer
    > connected wirelessly as well as my AppleTV unit connected wirelessly. This
    > is why I bought the wireless router for the notebook and Apple TV. The
    > notebook has Windows Vista Home Premium on it.
    >
    > The problem I am having is that after booting up and doing some work on my
    > desktop computer and then leaving for awhile, when I come back the network
    > connection has dropped to limited connectivity and no internet access.
    > Also, the notebook and Apple TV can't connect to the internet either. I
    > have checked with my ISP and they have no problems reaching the DSL modem
    > so this indicates that I have a problem at my end. If I unplug the router
    > and plug it back in everything clears up and I again have internet access.
    >
    > So I don't know if it is my computers that are doing something that is
    > causing the network to get messed up or if it is the router. I have tried
    > to pay attention to what my computer does when I am away and the only
    > thing I can think of is the power save functions. I have looked for
    > everything I can find dealing with power save and the network card and
    > have turned it off. I am waiting now to see if the problem is corrected.
    > If it still happens I don't know what to do. I don't know much about
    > networking, etc.
    >
    > Any suggestions? Please!
    >
    > =(8)

    Some DSL providers use PPPoE. If your DSL provider uses PPPoE, you need to
    enable it on your router. See page 34 of user manual. DSL will cut its
    connection due to inactivity/idle time. On the configuration screen for
    PPPoE you can specify the idle time or keep alive time.

  3. Re: Network / DSL / Internet Problem. Please Help!

    "xyz" wrote in message
    news:rNedncZxO4mLJfvbnZ2dnUVZ_tijnZ2d@comcast.com. ..

    > "=(8)" <=(8) @ =(8) . =(8)> wrote in message
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I am desperate need of some networking help. I recently purchased a
    >> Linksys WRT54G Wireless router to use with two desktop computers (One
    >> Windows Vista Ultimate and One Windows XP Home) I have both desktop
    >> systems connected to the router using wires. I have my notebook computer
    >> connected wirelessly as well as my AppleTV unit connected wirelessly.
    >> This is why I bought the wireless router for the notebook and Apple TV.
    >> The notebook has Windows Vista Home Premium on it.
    >>
    >> The problem I am having is that after booting up and doing some work on
    >> my desktop computer and then leaving for awhile, when I come back the
    >> network connection has dropped to limited connectivity and no internet
    >> access. Also, the notebook and Apple TV can't connect to the internet
    >> either. I have checked with my ISP and they have no problems reaching the
    >> DSL modem so this indicates that I have a problem at my end. If I unplug
    >> the router and plug it back in everything clears up and I again have
    >> internet access.
    >>
    >> So I don't know if it is my computers that are doing something that is
    >> causing the network to get messed up or if it is the router. I have tried
    >> to pay attention to what my computer does when I am away and the only
    >> thing I can think of is the power save functions. I have looked for
    >> everything I can find dealing with power save and the network card and
    >> have turned it off. I am waiting now to see if the problem is corrected.
    >> If it still happens I don't know what to do. I don't know much about
    >> networking, etc.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions? Please!
    >>
    >> =(8)
    >>

    > Some DSL providers use PPPoE. If your DSL provider uses PPPoE, you need to
    > enable it on your router. See page 34 of user manual. DSL will cut its
    > connection due to inactivity/idle time. On the configuration screen for
    > PPPoE you can specify the idle time or keep alive time.

    Thanks I will check that out.

    =(8)

+ Reply to Thread