Can Mac and PC Share files, printer on home network? - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Can Mac and PC Share files, printer on home network? - Connectivity ; My brother just got Sprint "high speed" internet access using a wireless receiver that plugs into a special wireless router. His PC is plugged into the router with ethernet, and his daughter's Mac has wireless access. They both get the ...

  1. Can Mac and PC Share files, printer on home network?

    My brother just got Sprint "high speed" internet access using a wireless
    receiver that plugs into a special wireless router. His PC is plugged into
    the router with ethernet, and his daughter's Mac has wireless access. They
    both get the internet, and email with no problem. However, the Mac user
    wants to use the printer hooked to the PC, and they have been unable to do
    that. I had set up a home network when I was last there, and both computers
    have sharing turned on, but they do not seem to see each other.

    I guess my main question before I get too far into this is should it work?
    That is, are a Mac and PC able to share files/printers on a small home
    network like this? If the answer is yes, then could someone point me in the
    right direction as to how to get this working?

    Thanks,

    Jack

  2. Re: Can Mac and PC Share files, printer on home network?

    Forgot to mention the PC is running XP.

    "Jack B" wrote in message
    > My brother just got Sprint "high speed" internet access using a wireless
    > receiver that plugs into a special wireless router. His PC is plugged
    > into the router with ethernet, and his daughter's Mac has wireless access.
    > They both get the internet, and email with no problem. However, the Mac
    > user wants to use the printer hooked to the PC, and they have been unable
    > to do that. I had set up a home network when I was last there, and both
    > computers have sharing turned on, but they do not seem to see each other.
    >
    > I guess my main question before I get too far into this is should it work?
    > That is, are a Mac and PC able to share files/printers on a small home
    > network like this? If the answer is yes, then could someone point me in
    > the right direction as to how to get this working?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jack

  3. Re: Can Mac and PC Share files, printer on home network?

    Jack B wrote:
    > My brother just got Sprint "high speed" internet access using a wireless
    > receiver that plugs into a special wireless router. His PC is plugged
    > into the router with ethernet, and his daughter's Mac has wireless
    > access. They both get the internet, and email with no problem.
    > However, the Mac user wants to use the printer hooked to the PC, and
    > they have been unable to do that. I had set up a home network when I
    > was last there, and both computers have sharing turned on, but they do
    > not seem to see each other.
    >
    > I guess my main question before I get too far into this is should it
    > work? That is, are a Mac and PC able to share files/printers on a small
    > home network like this? If the answer is yes, then could someone point
    > me in the right direction as to how to get this working?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jack

    There is a recipe here, but I expect in general this would be a bumpy ride.
    Mainly because I don't know what it takes to set up a workgroup properly.

    "Printing to a printer on a Windows XP PC from a Mac running 10.4.x"
    http://www.ifelix.co.uk/tech/3015.html

    Another link I found, which may help when you try to share files.

    "Mac OS X 10.2: How to Change the Windows File Sharing Workgroup"

    And another recipe for setting up MAc to Win printing. It mentions
    the firewall in WinXP SP2 as a possible barrier:

    http://iharder.sourceforge.net/curre...winmacprinter/

    The main problem with stuff like this, is finding the appropriate
    terminology and exactly what protocol stack or paths are being
    used. I started with a Google thread, to find the above links.
    It would be better to find an article that describes all the
    printing paths that MacOSX can use, and whether it is limited
    to Postscript printing or not.

    http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.s...d7506282bf7993

    Paul

  4. Re: Can Mac and PC Share files, printer on home network?

    For the printer, MacOS X uses CUPS (the same as Linux), whereas
    Windows uses its own proprietary protocol. The Windows protocol has
    been reverse-engineered, and reimplemented in a project called Samba.
    So it sounds like you need to get Samba working on the Mac. I don't
    know if that can be done by clicking around in the Mac gui, but you
    might want to google on something like "mac samba."

    You want to make sure that your router isn't blocking the relevant
    port for access within your local network.

  5. Re: Can Mac and PC Share files, printer on home network?

    Getting wireless and wired computers to see each other is something I've
    never been able to do. It's either wired seeing wired or wireless seeing
    wireless. Look into your router's setup.

    --
    Simon Berube
    http://sberube.net/
    "Jack B" wrote in message
    > My brother just got Sprint "high speed" internet access using a wireless
    > receiver that plugs into a special wireless router. His PC is plugged
    > into the router with ethernet, and his daughter's Mac has wireless access.
    > They both get the internet, and email with no problem. However, the Mac
    > user wants to use the printer hooked to the PC, and they have been unable
    > to do that. I had set up a home network when I was last there, and both
    > computers have sharing turned on, but they do not seem to see each other.
    >
    > I guess my main question before I get too far into this is should it work?
    > That is, are a Mac and PC able to share files/printers on a small home
    > network like this? If the answer is yes, then could someone point me in
    > the right direction as to how to get this working?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jack

  6. Re: Can Mac and PC Share files, printer on home network?

    In alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt "Simon Berube"
    wrote:

    >Getting wireless and wired computers to see each other is something I've
    >never been able to do. It's either wired seeing wired or wireless seeing
    >wireless. Look into your router's setup.

    Hmmm ... My laptop hooks fine into the network, whether I use a wire or
    wireless card. Sometimes the router thinks it's still on one or the
    other, if I change it over fast though. So, I have to reset things.

    --
    _____
    / ' / ™

  7. Re: Can Mac and PC Share files, printer on home network?

    I have no problem with wired and wireless computers sharing on my home
    network, but all are windows, no macs.

    "Frank McCoy" wrote in message
    > In alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt "Simon Berube"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Getting wireless and wired computers to see each other is something I've
    >>never been able to do. It's either wired seeing wired or wireless seeing
    >>wireless. Look into your router's setup.

    > Hmmm ... My laptop hooks fine into the network, whether I use a wire or
    > wireless card. Sometimes the router thinks it's still on one or the
    > other, if I change it over fast though. So, I have to reset things.
    >
    > --
    > _____
    > / ' / ™
    > ,-/-, __ __. ____ /_
    > (_/ / (_(_/|_/ / <_/ <_

  8. Re: Can Mac and PC Share files, printer on home network?

    On Mar 29, 8:04 am, "Jack B" wrote:
    > My brother just got Sprint "high speed" internet access using a wireless
    > receiver that plugs into a special wireless router. His PC is plugged into
    > the router with ethernet, and his daughter's Mac has wireless access. They
    > both get the internet, and email with no problem. However, the Mac user
    > wants to use the printer hooked to the PC, and they have been unable to do
    > that. I had set up a home network when I was last there, and both computers
    > have sharing turned on, but they do not seem to see each other.
    >
    > I guess my main question before I get too far into this is should it work?
    > That is, are a Mac and PC able to share files/printers on a small home
    > network like this? If the answer is yes, then could someone point me in the
    > right direction as to how to get this working?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jack

    I used to have "almost" the same set up ... the only thing I have more
    is the "printer adapter" that goes from centronics/pararallel to
    ethernet. Then the printer would be on the network just like everyone
    else. Wait I have a router to connect them all ... also.
    hope this helps,
    pxn

  9. Re: Can Mac and PC Share files, printer on home network?

    In article <1176749954.137646.254550@p77g2000hsh.googlegroups. com>,
    wrote:

    > On Mar 29, 8:04 am, "Jack B" wrote:
    > > My brother just got Sprint "high speed" internet access using a wireless
    > > receiver that plugs into a special wireless router. His PC is plugged into
    > > the router with ethernet, and his daughter's Mac has wireless access. They
    > > both get the internet, and email with no problem. However, the Mac user
    > > wants to use the printer hooked to the PC, and they have been unable to do
    > > that. I had set up a home network when I was last there, and both computers
    > > have sharing turned on, but they do not seem to see each other.
    > >
    > > I guess my main question before I get too far into this is should it work?
    > > That is, are a Mac and PC able to share files/printers on a small home
    > > network like this? If the answer is yes, then could someone point me in the
    > > right direction as to how to get this working?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Jack

    > I used to have "almost" the same set up ... the only thing I have more
    > is the "printer adapter" that goes from centronics/pararallel to
    > ethernet. Then the printer would be on the network just like everyone
    > else. Wait I have a router to connect them all ... also.
    > hope this helps,
    > pxn

    You would still need a printer driver on each machine for the printer

    http://www.usenet.com

+ Reply to Thread