Lost Network access on laptop - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Lost Network access on laptop - Connectivity ; I would appreciate some help on a lack of connectivity problem we have with my wifes laptop. We have a cable modem which connects to a wireless router (linksys wireless G). 3 computers in our home, 2 XP 1 Vista, ...

  1. Lost Network access on laptop

    I would appreciate some help on a lack of connectivity problem we have with
    my wifes laptop. We have a cable modem which connects to a wireless router
    (linksys wireless G). 3 computers in our home, 2 XP 1 Vista, are connected
    by ethernet cables to the router, and my wifes laptop, XP, connects with a
    wireless access. This has all worked fine since we got the laptop in
    December, and it worked fine last night. The laptop also has an ethernet
    access plug, which we haven't tried to use before.

    This morning my wifes laptop wouldn''t connect to the network. Status says
    "limited or no connectivity". If I try to view wireless networks, none show
    up on the list, and I'm prompted to start a WZC service (I don't know what
    that is and I haven't tried that yet).

    I connected an ethernet cable to the laptop, but we can't get that to work
    either. The adaptor recognized the network, it seemed, and seemed to be
    connected, but we couldn't see anything on the network. The other ethernet
    computers on the network are connecting fine, and I'm sending this on the
    same network with ethernet.

    My wife took the laptop to a local coffee shop with wireless and she could
    not connect there either, but she says she did see the network on a list.

    All the computers on our network are set to detect an IP address
    automaticaly.

    I've done all the things I can think of with network settings, etc., but
    nothing has worked.

    Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem might be?

    Thanks,

    Jack

  2. Re: Lost Network access on laptop

    "Jack B" wrote in message
    >I would appreciate some help on a lack of connectivity problem we have with my wifes
    >laptop. We have a cable modem which connects to a wireless router (linksys wireless G).
    >3 computers in our home, 2 XP 1 Vista, are connected by ethernet cables to the router,
    >and my wifes laptop, XP, connects with a wireless access. This has all worked fine
    >since we got the laptop in December, and it worked fine last night. The laptop also has
    >an ethernet access plug, which we haven't tried to use before.
    >
    > This morning my wifes laptop wouldn''t connect to the network. Status says "limited or
    > no connectivity".

    in my limited experience (last year or so dealing with wireless connectivity) this points
    to a sercutity issue
    Bad network password
    router set to accept no new users (or limited users in setup)
    The wireless network detection sequence not set to auto connect to your router first
    the wireless card 'turned off' via hot key

    If I try to view wireless networks, none show
    > up on the list, and I'm prompted to start a WZC service (I don't know what that is and I
    > haven't tried that yet).
    >
    > I connected an ethernet cable to the laptop, but we can't get that to work either. The
    > adaptor recognized the network, it seemed, and seemed to be connected, but we couldn't
    > see anything on the network. The other ethernet computers on the network are connecting
    > fine, and I'm sending this on the same network with ethernet.
    >
    > My wife took the laptop to a local coffee shop with wireless and she could not connect
    > there either, but she says she did see the network on a list.
    >
    > All the computers on our network are set to detect an IP address automaticaly.
    >
    > I've done all the things I can think of with network settings, etc., but nothing has
    > worked.
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem might be?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jack

  3. Re: Lost Network access on laptop

    On Mar 13, 3:55 pm, "JAD"
    wrote:
    > "Jack B" wrote in message

    > >I would appreciate some help on a lack of connectivity problem we have with my wifes
    > >laptop. We have a cable modem which connects to a wireless router (linksys wireless G).
    > >3 computers in our home, 2 XP 1 Vista, are connected by ethernet cables to the router,
    > >and my wifes laptop, XP, connects with a wireless access. This has all worked fine
    > >since we got the laptop in December, and it worked fine last night. The laptop also has
    > >an ethernet access plug, which we haven't tried to use before.

    > > This morning my wifes laptop wouldn''t connect to the network. Status says "limited or
    > > no connectivity".

    > in my limited experience (last year or so dealing with wireless connectivity) this points
    > to a sercutity issue
    > Bad network password
    > router set to accept no new users (or limited users in setup)
    > The wireless network detection sequence not set to auto connect to your router first
    > the wireless card 'turned off' via hot key
    >
    > If I try to view wireless networks, none show
    >

    > > up on the list, and I'm prompted to start a WZC service (I don't know what that is and I
    > > haven't tried that yet).

    > > I connected an ethernet cable to the laptop, but we can't get that to work either. The
    > > adaptor recognized the network, it seemed, and seemed to be connected, but we couldn't
    > > see anything on the network. The other ethernet computers on the network are connecting
    > > fine, and I'm sending this on the same network with ethernet.

    > > My wife took the laptop to a local coffee shop with wireless and she could not connect
    > > there either, but she says she did see the network on a list.

    > > All the computers on our network are set to detect an IP address automaticaly.

    > > I've done all the things I can think of with network settings, etc., but nothing has
    > > worked.

    > > Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem might be?

    > > Thanks,

    > > Jack- Hide quoted text -

    have you checked the status to see if you are enabled or disabled?
    Right click the network icon and see if enabled

  4. Re: Lost Network access on laptop

    Yes, I tried that - everything was enabled.

    "jinxy" wrote in message
    news:1173817846.042025.12960@n76g2000hsh.googlegro ups.com...
    > On Mar 13, 3:55 pm, "JAD"
    > wrote:
    >> "Jack B" wrote in message

    >> >I would appreciate some help on a lack of connectivity problem we have
    >> >with my wifes
    >> >laptop. We have a cable modem which connects to a wireless router
    >> >(linksys wireless G).
    >> >3 computers in our home, 2 XP 1 Vista, are connected by ethernet cables
    >> >to the router,
    >> >and my wifes laptop, XP, connects with a wireless access. This has all
    >> >worked fine
    >> >since we got the laptop in December, and it worked fine last night. The
    >> >laptop also has
    >> >an ethernet access plug, which we haven't tried to use before.

    >> > This morning my wifes laptop wouldn''t connect to the network. Status
    >> > says "limited or
    >> > no connectivity".

    >> in my limited experience (last year or so dealing with wireless
    >> connectivity) this points
    >> to a sercutity issue
    >> Bad network password
    >> router set to accept no new users (or limited users in setup)
    >> The wireless network detection sequence not set to auto connect to your
    >> router first
    >> the wireless card 'turned off' via hot key
    >>
    >> If I try to view wireless networks, none show
    >>

    >> > up on the list, and I'm prompted to start a WZC service (I don't know
    >> > what that is and I
    >> > haven't tried that yet).

    >> > I connected an ethernet cable to the laptop, but we can't get that to
    >> > work either. The
    >> > adaptor recognized the network, it seemed, and seemed to be connected,
    >> > but we couldn't
    >> > see anything on the network. The other ethernet computers on the
    >> > network are connecting
    >> > fine, and I'm sending this on the same network with ethernet.

    >> > My wife took the laptop to a local coffee shop with wireless and she
    >> > could not connect
    >> > there either, but she says she did see the network on a list.

    >> > All the computers on our network are set to detect an IP address
    >> > automaticaly.

    >> > I've done all the things I can think of with network settings, etc.,
    >> > but nothing has
    >> > worked.

    >> > Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem might be?

    >> > Thanks,

    >> > Jack- Hide quoted text -

    > have you checked the status to see if you are enabled or disabled?
    > Right click the network icon and see if enabled

  5. Re: Lost Network access on laptop

    On Mar 13, 5:05 pm, "Jack B" wrote:
    > Yes, I tried that - everything was enabled.
    >
    > "jinxy" wrote in message
    >
    > news:1173817846.042025.12960@n76g2000hsh.googlegro ups.com...
    >

    > > On Mar 13, 3:55 pm, "JAD"
    > > wrote:
    > >> "Jack B" wrote in message

    > >> in my limited experience (last year or so dealing with wireless
    > >> connectivity) this points
    > >> to a sercutity issue
    > >> Bad network password
    > >> router set to accept no new users (or limited users in setup)
    > >> The wireless network detection sequence not set to auto connect to your
    > >> router first
    > >> the wireless card 'turned off' via hot key

    > >> If I try to view wireless networks, none show

    > > have you checked the status to see if you are enabled or disabled?
    > > Right click the network icon and see if enabled- Hide quoted text -

    Jack, I have a similar set up to yours. I ran into the same thing a
    while back. I think that I had to unplug the power supply to my
    Linksys G. After the router re-set I had no troubles. Hope this works
    for you. I will ask my daughter what she did to fix this problem. I
    will reply later to let you know

  6. Re: Lost Network access on laptop

    "jinxy" wrote in message
    news:1173824368.687223.326780@d57g2000hsg.googlegr oups.com...
    > On Mar 13, 5:05 pm, "Jack B" wrote:
    >> Yes, I tried that - everything was enabled.
    >>
    >> "jinxy" wrote in message
    >>
    >> news:1173817846.042025.12960@n76g2000hsh.googlegro ups.com...

    >> > have you checked the status to see if you are enabled or disabled?
    >> > Right click the network icon and see if enabled- Hide quoted text -

    > Jack, I have a similar set up to yours. I ran into the same thing a
    > while back. I think that I had to unplug the power supply to my
    > Linksys G. After the router re-set I had no troubles. Hope this works
    > for you. I will ask my daughter what she did to fix this problem. I
    > will reply later to let you know

    I tried the router re-set by unplugging and replugging earlier but that
    didn't help. However, later in the day today, Tuesday, the laptop suddenly
    starting working ok. My wife could receive and send email and see the
    internet, and the connection was ok! Very weird, and nothing I did can
    explain to me why it suddenly started working.

  7. Re: Lost Network access on laptop

    On Mar 14, 12:12 am, "Jack B" wrote:
    > I tried the router re-set by unplugging and replugging earlier but that
    > didn't help. However, later in the day today, Tuesday, the laptop suddenly
    > starting working ok. My wife could receive and send email and see the
    > internet, and the connection was ok! Very weird, and nothing I did can
    > explain to me why it suddenly started working.

    Nothing weird. Time to learn how to solve problems without wild
    speculation of 'try this and try that'. Previous mistake was to want
    to repair rather than first collect facts. Now that things are
    working is best time to learn how to 'discover'. For example, bring
    up a Command Prompt window. Enter IPCONFIG . Notice numbers that
    describe connections. Numbers that report useful information. Numbers
    that when posted also result in useful replies.

    Most important when trying to fix anything - first get the numbers.
    Provided are numbers for computer's IP Address, Default Gateway, etc.
    IOW this is how we break problems down into parts. First collect
    facts. Browser may make no connections. Other computers might not be
    seen. But if numbers in IPCONFIG exist, then 1) we are ready to learn
    if hardware is OK and 2) don't yet care whether anything else works.

    Well, the computer talked to a router recently and got assigned an
    IP Address. Is computer still connected? Again, from Command
    Prompt, this time enter
    PING 192.168.1.1

    If computer hardware is working this second (and even if nothing
    else works), then the router with IP Address 192.168.1.1 will
    respond. Best is to do this now when hardware is working. No reason
    to 'spin wheels' again when failure happens. Previously no one could
    provide a useful reply because you did not provide numbers from these
    quick tests.

    Also useful is the light often adjacent to where Ethernet cables
    connect. Now is the time to see what those lights report when you
    connect and disconnect working hardware. Again, do it now so that
    when problems happen, you know what to look for.

    Meanwhile, all responsible computer manufacturers provide
    comprehensive hardware diagnostics just for your problem. Now is the
    time to execute diagnostics for the ethernet (network) port to see
    what good hardware reports. Does computer's main CPU talk to ethernet
    port's computer? That test performed without complications of an
    Operating System. Again, problems are broken down into parts; then
    integrity confirmed or ridiculed. Previously you were trying to test
    hardware, Operating System, network, router, .... too many things
    simultaneously. Therefore nothing was learned. Now that hardware is
    working is time to learn some simple and quick diagnostics that can
    even result in useful replies here.

+ Reply to Thread