Can ping by IP but not by name - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Can ping by IP but not by name - Connectivity ; I've recently experienced a partial failure of my home network, can't recall what I did, if anything, to cause it, and wonder if anyone here can suggest an approach, or a more pertinent newsgroup, or some reading material. There are ...

  1. Can ping by IP but not by name

    I've recently experienced a partial failure of my home network, can't
    recall what I did, if anything, to cause it, and wonder if anyone here
    can suggest an approach, or a more pertinent newsgroup, or some reading
    material.
    There are only two computers involved, a desktop machine (Pentium
    III) running Windows XP Home SP2, and a Toshiba laptop (M50) also
    running XP Home. My Internet service is provided via a cable modem and
    Linksys 802.11b 4-port wireless router.
    Everything has been working fine for more than a year. I generally
    use the wireless connection from the laptop (rather than cabling it
    directly to the router), and I could move files back and forth and print
    to a laser printer attached to the desktop machine.
    Now, suddenly, the link between the two computers has vanished,
    although both are still able to connect to the Internet.
    I can ping, using IP addresses, from each computer to the other, but
    not by using computer names. Of course, I can no longer print from the
    laptop (printing from the desktop machine still works fine).
    It seems the system is not resolving the names. Both computers are
    set up to get their IP addresses and DNS information automatically. The
    router issues IP addresses in the 192.168.1.1xx range.
    I suspect the problem lies in the laptop, and I did find at one point
    that some of the TCP/IP parameters were wrong on that machine.
    I hesitate to restore from the Toshiba DVD because I would lose a lot
    of stuff that would be tedious to replace, but might try it as a last
    resort.
    Any clues? Any guidance?

    -- Ron

  2. Re: Can ping by IP but not by name

    Ronald Hands wrote:
    > I've recently experienced a partial failure of my home network, can't
    > recall what I did, if anything, to cause it, and wonder if anyone here
    > can suggest an approach, or a more pertinent newsgroup, or some reading
    > material.
    > There are only two computers involved, a desktop machine (Pentium III)
    > running Windows XP Home SP2, and a Toshiba laptop (M50) also running XP
    > Home. My Internet service is provided via a cable modem and Linksys
    > 802.11b 4-port wireless router.
    > Everything has been working fine for more than a year. I generally
    > use the wireless connection from the laptop (rather than cabling it
    > directly to the router), and I could move files back and forth and print
    > to a laser printer attached to the desktop machine.
    > Now, suddenly, the link between the two computers has vanished,
    > although both are still able to connect to the Internet.
    > I can ping, using IP addresses, from each computer to the other, but
    > not by using computer names. Of course, I can no longer print from the
    > laptop (printing from the desktop machine still works fine).
    > It seems the system is not resolving the names. Both computers are
    > set up to get their IP addresses and DNS information automatically. The
    > router issues IP addresses in the 192.168.1.1xx range.
    > I suspect the problem lies in the laptop, and I did find at one point
    > that some of the TCP/IP parameters were wrong on that machine.
    > I hesitate to restore from the Toshiba DVD because I would lose a lot
    > of stuff that would be tedious to replace, but might try it as a last
    > resort.
    > Any clues? Any guidance?
    >
    > -- Ron

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300986

    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/trouble.htm

    Danny,

  3. Re: Can ping by IP but not by name

    On Feb 3, 5:57 pm, Ronald Hands wrote:
    > I've recently experienced a partial failure of my home network, can't
    > recall what I did, if anything, to cause it, and wonder if anyone here
    > can suggest an approach, or a more pertinent newsgroup, or some reading
    > material.
    > There are only two computers involved, a desktop machine (Pentium
    > III) running Windows XP Home SP2, and a Toshiba laptop (M50) also
    > running XP Home. My Internet service is provided via a cable modem and
    > Linksys 802.11b 4-port wireless router.
    > Everything has been working fine for more than a year. I generally
    > use the wireless connection from the laptop (rather than cabling it
    > directly to the router), and I could move files back and forth and print
    > to a laser printer attached to the desktop machine.
    > Now, suddenly, the link between the two computers has vanished,
    > although both are still able to connect to the Internet.
    > I can ping, using IP addresses, from each computer to the other, but
    > not by using computer names. Of course, I can no longer print from the
    > laptop (printing from the desktop machine still works fine).
    > It seems the system is not resolving the names. Both computers are
    > set up to get their IP addresses and DNS information automatically. The
    > router issues IP addresses in the 192.168.1.1xx range.
    > I suspect the problem lies in the laptop, and I did find at one point
    > that some of the TCP/IP parameters were wrong on that machine.
    > I hesitate to restore from the Toshiba DVD because I would lose a lot
    > of stuff that would be tedious to replace, but might try it as a last
    > resort.
    > Any clues? Any guidance?
    >
    > -- Ron

    try this:

    D:\qs\license>ipconfig /flushdns

    Windows IP Configuration

    Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.

  4. Re: Can ping by IP but not by name

    On Feb 4, 9:20 am, "sha" wrote:
    > On Feb 3, 5:57 pm, Ronald Hands wrote:
    >

    > > I've recently experienced a partial failure of my home network, can't
    > > recall what I did, if anything, to cause it, and wonder if anyone here
    > > can suggest an approach, or a more pertinent newsgroup, or some reading
    > > material.
    > > There are only two computers involved, a desktop machine (Pentium
    > > III) running Windows XP Home SP2, and a Toshiba laptop (M50) also
    > > running XP Home. My Internet service is provided via a cable modem and
    > > Linksys 802.11b 4-port wireless router.
    > > Everything has been working fine for more than a year. I generally
    > > use the wireless connection from the laptop (rather than cabling it
    > > directly to the router), and I could move files back and forth and print
    > > to a laser printer attached to the desktop machine.
    > > Now, suddenly, the link between the two computers has vanished,
    > > although both are still able to connect to the Internet.
    > > I can ping, using IP addresses, from each computer to the other, but
    > > not by using computer names. Of course, I can no longer print from the
    > > laptop (printing from the desktop machine still works fine).
    > > It seems the system is not resolving the names. Both computers are
    > > set up to get their IP addresses and DNS information automatically. The
    > > router issues IP addresses in the 192.168.1.1xx range.
    > > I suspect the problem lies in the laptop, and I did find at one point
    > > that some of the TCP/IP parameters were wrong on that machine.
    > > I hesitate to restore from the Toshiba DVD because I would lose a lot
    > > of stuff that would be tedious to replace, but might try it as a last
    > > resort.
    > > Any clues? Any guidance?

    > > -- Ron

    > try this:
    >
    > D:\qs\license>ipconfig /flushdns
    >
    > Windows IP Configuration
    >
    > Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.- Hide quoted text -

    You can disregard this part: D:\qs\license, I just ran the command
    from there. That is where the command line points to on my pc.

+ Reply to Thread