How traffic is routed with a VPN - Connectivity

This is a discussion on How traffic is routed with a VPN - Connectivity ; My company recently set up a VPN so we could remote in. I discovered last night, that if I connect to the VPN and then open a browser, all of my traffic gets routed to the VPN. Is there a ...

  1. How traffic is routed with a VPN

    My company recently set up a VPN so we could remote in. I discovered last
    night, that if I connect to the VPN and then open a browser, all of my
    traffic gets routed to the VPN. Is there a way to control this?

    Jeff.

  2. Re: How traffic is routed with a VPN

    On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 08:54:29 -0500, BenignVanilla wrote in
    alt.comp.networking.connectivity:

    >My company recently set up a VPN so we could remote in. I discovered last
    >night, that if I connect to the VPN and then open a browser, all of my
    >traffic gets routed to the VPN. Is there a way to control this?

    That's how it should be. Doing it otherwise is called "split tunnelling"
    which carries some risks, especially when the client also uses Internet
    Connection Sharing (ICS). Whether and how "split tunnelling" can be
    implemented depends on your network administrator and the VPN client
    software. It may be as simple as unticking "Use default gateway on
    remote network" in the connectoid's properties.