Simple Networking - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Simple Networking - Connectivity ; Hi All With my recently resurgent interest in computing, I would like to attempt to connect my 2 pcs at home wirelessly, so that they both share and have access to my broadband connection at all times and they are ...

  1. Simple Networking

    Hi All
    With my recently resurgent interest in computing, I would like to attempt to
    connect my 2 pcs at home wirelessly, so that they both share and have access
    to my broadband connection at all times and they are indepebdent - i.e. they
    don't both need to be switched on. What gear do I need? My initial
    thoughts are that I would connect my dsl modem to a hub/router and then have
    pcs
    connected to it with two wireless receivers...Any ideas/suggestions?
    George

  2. Re: Simple Networking

    george , the farting-deadbeat and nasty himmer
    who likes erotic relaxation rubdowns with lampreys, and whose partner is
    a nymphet with a dilapidated snutch, wrote in
    <1YOdnVFl-t3wTe3YnZ2dnUVZ8sednZ2d@bt.com>:
    > Hi All
    > With my recently resurgent interest in computing, I would like to
    > attempt to connect my 2 pcs at home wirelessly, so that they both
    > share and have access to my broadband connection at all times and
    > they are indepebdent - i.e. they don't both need to be switched on.
    > What gear do I need? My initial thoughts are that I would connect my dsl
    > modem to a hub/router and
    > then have pcs
    > connected to it with two wireless receivers...Any ideas/suggestions?
    > George

    Your first thought was more or less on the nose if you had NTL or similar.
    Don't buy any cheap ****, you'll waste your money. I always use Netgear
    equipment.
    If you're using btinternet then you'll want an ADSL router, chuck the modem
    in a drawer somewhere and forget about it.
    Range, speed, reliability? Go for the Rangemax equipment and you'll find you
    don't have many problems unless you live in somewhere large or with thick
    walls full of wires, steel and other ****.
    If you live in a hovel then go for the slower, shorter range equipment and
    save yourself about 30, argos are doing pretty good deals right now, don't
    forget you 10 voucher.

    is but a dream within a dream.

  3. Re: Simple Networking

    george wrote

    > With my recently resurgent interest in computing, I would like to attempt to connect my 2 pcs at
    > home wirelessly, so that they both share and have access to my broadband connection at all times
    > and they are indepebdent - i.e. they don't both need to be switched on. What gear do I need?

    The simplest approach is to get an dsl wireless modem/router
    and use that with a wireless USB device on each PC.

    > My initial thoughts are that I would connect my dsl modem to a hub/router and then have pcs
    > connected to it with two wireless receivers...

    You can use the existing dsl modem, but a full wireless
    dsl modem/router is now so cheap that its easier to just
    replace the existing dsl modem with a wireless capable one.

    Worth considering if you want to get a voip capable dsl wireless modem/router too.

    > Any ideas/suggestions?

  4. Re: Simple Networking

    You will need a wireless ROUTER (NOT hub) and PCI wireless cards for your
    computers.

    --
    DaveW

    ----------------
    "george" wrote in message
    > Hi All
    > With my recently resurgent interest in computing, I would like to attempt
    > connect my 2 pcs at home wirelessly, so that they both share and have
    > access
    > to my broadband connection at all times and they are indepebdent - i.e.
    > they don't both need to be switched on. What gear do I need? My initial
    > thoughts are that I would connect my dsl modem to a hub/router and then
    > have pcs
    > connected to it with two wireless receivers...Any ideas/suggestions?
    > George

  5. Re: Simple Networking

    On Sun, 3 Dec 2006 15:58:39 -0800, "DaveW"
    wrote:

    >You will need a wireless ROUTER (NOT hub) and PCI wireless cards for your
    >computers.

    Depends on what the modem capabilities are. Some popular
    modems have a DHCP server built in for NAT. If you hook
    that modem up to a hub, or in this case to an access point
    that both wireless systems can *see*, the additional router
    may not be necessary.

  6. Re: Simple Networking

    kony wrote:
    > On Sun, 3 Dec 2006 15:58:39 -0800, "DaveW"
    > wrote:
    >
    >> You will need a wireless ROUTER (NOT hub) and PCI wireless cards for your
    >> computers.

    > Depends on what the modem capabilities are. Some popular
    > modems have a DHCP server built in for NAT. If you hook
    > that modem up to a hub, or in this case to an access point
    > that both wireless systems can *see*, the additional router
    > may not be necessary.

    That's a reasonable consideration. I would recommend that if you are
    thinking about a hub in the above scenario, you spend the extra $2 and
    get a switch instead.

  7. Re: Simple Networking

    On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 02:36:13 -0500, kony wrote:

    >On Sun, 3 Dec 2006 15:58:39 -0800, "DaveW"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>You will need a wireless ROUTER (NOT hub) and PCI wireless cards for your
    >>computers.

    >Depends on what the modem capabilities are. Some popular
    >modems have a DHCP server built in for NAT. If you hook
    >that modem up to a hub, or in this case to an access point
    >that both wireless systems can *see*, the additional router
    >may not be necessary.

    While experienced users may be able to tell whether or not these
    modems have DHCP suppoer, others do not.

    I would recommend getting a wireless router anyway - if it turns out
    that the modem does have DHCP support, you can connect the modem to
    the LAN port of the router - and it will behave in the same way as a
    switch. It also may be the only option in some cases when you may have
    difficulty finding a switch by itself.

  8. Re: Simple Networking

    On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 09:25:31 -0500, Raymond Martineau
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 02:36:13 -0500, kony wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 3 Dec 2006 15:58:39 -0800, "DaveW"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>You will need a wireless ROUTER (NOT hub) and PCI wireless cards for your
    >>>computers.

    >>Depends on what the modem capabilities are. Some popular
    >>modems have a DHCP server built in for NAT. If you hook
    >>that modem up to a hub, or in this case to an access point
    >>that both wireless systems can *see*, the additional router
    >>may not be necessary.

    >While experienced users may be able to tell whether or not these
    >modems have DHCP suppoer, others do not.

    It should be a listed feature in the modem manual, or a
    Google search might find that info, or it might be listed on
    the modem's configuration and information browser interface
    page.

    >I would recommend getting a wireless router anyway - if it turns out
    >that the modem does have DHCP support, you can connect the modem to
    >the LAN port of the router - and it will behave in the same way as a
    >switch. It also may be the only option in some cases when you may have
    >difficulty finding a switch by itself.

    ??

    There is no difficulty in finding a switch by itself,
    they're common as dirt.

  9. Re: Simple Networking

    Hi,

    The are choices here and it all depends on financial, the way i have my
    setup is a wireless modem with wpa2 security and all compuers assigned ip by
    modem therefore i can connect to other computers by just obtaining the ip
    address from the modem and connect. ofcourse all computers should be able to
    see each other if they are all joined to a single workgroup.

    "george" wrote in message
    > Hi All
    > With my recently resurgent interest in computing, I would like to attempt

    > connect my 2 pcs at home wirelessly, so that they both share and have

    access
    > to my broadband connection at all times and they are indepebdent - i.e.

    they
    > don't both need to be switched on. What gear do I need? My initial
    > thoughts are that I would connect my dsl modem to a hub/router and then

    have
    > pcs
    > connected to it with two wireless receivers...Any ideas/suggestions?
    > George

+ Reply to Thread