Can't see other computers on LAN - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Can't see other computers on LAN - Connectivity ; I've got a couple of pcs (Xp Pro sp2) and a wired router (Linksys Befsr81)and a wireless router (Linksys wrt54g) The wired router is set up to provide dhcp I have my main pc plugged into the wired router via ...

  1. Can't see other computers on LAN

    I've got a couple of pcs (Xp Pro sp2) and a wired router (Linksys
    Befsr81)and a wireless router (Linksys wrt54g)

    The wired router is set up to provide dhcp

    I have my main pc plugged into the wired router via cat 5 and gets an
    ip from the Befsr81

    The wireless router is plugged into the the wired router and acting as
    an access point (DHCP is not enabled on the wrt54g)

    My laptop connects via wifi and gets it's ip also from the befsr81

    My main pc right now has ip 192.168.1.100
    my laptop is 192.168.1.101

    I have IIS running on my main pc (trying to learn asp.NET and how IIS
    works)

    On my main box, I can hit http://localhost/test/test.html
    But, from my laptop, I tried http://192.168.1.100/test/test.html and
    it couldn't find the page.

    Neither machine can see the other existing on the network via ping,
    tracert, or http

    I have zone alarm on both machines, but turned it off on both when
    trying connectivity between them

    Any suggestions on what I can do here?!

    Thanks,

    Tony!

  2. Re: Can't see other computers on LAN

    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...ring/index.htm

    "Tony" wrote in message
    > I've got a couple of pcs (Xp Pro sp2) and a wired router (Linksys
    > Befsr81)and a wireless router (Linksys wrt54g)
    >
    > The wired router is set up to provide dhcp
    >
    > I have my main pc plugged into the wired router via cat 5 and gets an
    > ip from the Befsr81
    >
    > The wireless router is plugged into the the wired router and acting as
    > an access point (DHCP is not enabled on the wrt54g)
    >
    > My laptop connects via wifi and gets it's ip also from the befsr81
    >
    > My main pc right now has ip 192.168.1.100
    > my laptop is 192.168.1.101
    >
    > I have IIS running on my main pc (trying to learn asp.NET and how IIS
    > works)
    >
    > On my main box, I can hit http://localhost/test/test.html
    > But, from my laptop, I tried http://192.168.1.100/test/test.html and
    > it couldn't find the page.
    >
    > Neither machine can see the other existing on the network via ping,
    > tracert, or http
    >
    > I have zone alarm on both machines, but turned it off on both when
    > trying connectivity between them
    >
    > Any suggestions on what I can do here?!
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Tony!

  3. Re: Can't see other computers on LAN

    Thanks for the link,

    I'll take a look, but I figured that IIS is more like Apache and I
    wouldn't need to set up printer or file sharing since I'm not wanting
    to actually share any files, just allow the web server service to
    manage sending data out over specific porrs it has control over.

    -T-

    On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 08:58:55 -0500, "xyz" wrote:

    >http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...ring/index.htm
    >

    >"Tony" wrote in message
    >> I've got a couple of pcs (Xp Pro sp2) and a wired router (Linksys
    >> Befsr81)and a wireless router (Linksys wrt54g)
    >>
    >> The wired router is set up to provide dhcp
    >>
    >> I have my main pc plugged into the wired router via cat 5 and gets an
    >> ip from the Befsr81
    >>
    >> The wireless router is plugged into the the wired router and acting as
    >> an access point (DHCP is not enabled on the wrt54g)
    >>
    >> My laptop connects via wifi and gets it's ip also from the befsr81
    >>
    >> My main pc right now has ip 192.168.1.100
    >> my laptop is 192.168.1.101
    >>
    >> I have IIS running on my main pc (trying to learn asp.NET and how IIS
    >> works)
    >>
    >> On my main box, I can hit http://localhost/test/test.html
    >> But, from my laptop, I tried http://192.168.1.100/test/test.html and
    >> it couldn't find the page.
    >>
    >> Neither machine can see the other existing on the network via ping,
    >> tracert, or http
    >>
    >> I have zone alarm on both machines, but turned it off on both when
    >> trying connectivity between them
    >>
    >> Any suggestions on what I can do here?!
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Tony!

  4. Re: Can't see other computers on LAN

    Maybe I'm being dense, but this page hasn't helped me.

    Besides, wouldn't the user login permissions not really be a reason
    why I can't erven get a ping reply from pc-b from pc-a?

    Tony!

    On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 08:58:55 -0500, "xyz" wrote:

    >http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...ring/index.htm
    >

    >"Tony" wrote in message
    >> I've got a couple of pcs (Xp Pro sp2) and a wired router (Linksys
    >> Befsr81)and a wireless router (Linksys wrt54g)
    >>
    >> The wired router is set up to provide dhcp
    >>
    >> I have my main pc plugged into the wired router via cat 5 and gets an
    >> ip from the Befsr81
    >>
    >> The wireless router is plugged into the the wired router and acting as
    >> an access point (DHCP is not enabled on the wrt54g)
    >>
    >> My laptop connects via wifi and gets it's ip also from the befsr81
    >>
    >> My main pc right now has ip 192.168.1.100
    >> my laptop is 192.168.1.101
    >>
    >> I have IIS running on my main pc (trying to learn asp.NET and how IIS
    >> works)
    >>
    >> On my main box, I can hit http://localhost/test/test.html
    >> But, from my laptop, I tried http://192.168.1.100/test/test.html and
    >> it couldn't find the page.
    >>
    >> Neither machine can see the other existing on the network via ping,
    >> tracert, or http
    >>
    >> I have zone alarm on both machines, but turned it off on both when
    >> trying connectivity between them
    >>
    >> Any suggestions on what I can do here?!
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Tony!

  5. Re: Can't see other computers on LAN

    I think if it is windows OS then filesharing is a must just dont bind it to
    tcp/ip protocol and use netbui (SP???) You also may need other protocols.

    KK

    "Tony" wrote in message
    > Maybe I'm being dense, but this page hasn't helped me.
    >
    > Besides, wouldn't the user login permissions not really be a reason
    > why I can't erven get a ping reply from pc-b from pc-a?
    >
    > Tony!
    >

    > On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 08:58:55 -0500, "xyz" wrote:
    >
    > >http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...ring/index.htm
    > >

    > >"Tony" wrote in message
    > >> I've got a couple of pcs (Xp Pro sp2) and a wired router (Linksys
    > >> Befsr81)and a wireless router (Linksys wrt54g)
    > >>
    > >> The wired router is set up to provide dhcp
    > >>
    > >> I have my main pc plugged into the wired router via cat 5 and gets an
    > >> ip from the Befsr81
    > >>
    > >> The wireless router is plugged into the the wired router and acting as
    > >> an access point (DHCP is not enabled on the wrt54g)
    > >>
    > >> My laptop connects via wifi and gets it's ip also from the befsr81
    > >>
    > >> My main pc right now has ip 192.168.1.100
    > >> my laptop is 192.168.1.101
    > >>
    > >> I have IIS running on my main pc (trying to learn asp.NET and how IIS
    > >> works)
    > >>
    > >> On my main box, I can hit http://localhost/test/test.html
    > >> But, from my laptop, I tried http://192.168.1.100/test/test.html and
    > >> it couldn't find the page.
    > >>
    > >> Neither machine can see the other existing on the network via ping,
    > >> tracert, or http
    > >>
    > >> I have zone alarm on both machines, but turned it off on both when
    > >> trying connectivity between them
    > >>
    > >> Any suggestions on what I can do here?!
    > >>
    > >> Thanks,
    > >>
    > >> Tony!