connection makes "coffee breaks" - Connectivity

This is a discussion on connection makes "coffee breaks" - Connectivity ; hi, in our student building, we have 36 student rooms with internet connections. So it is a middle-sized heterogenous network, with the very most on win. We are all connected throught switches to a single modem. And we all share ...

  1. connection makes "coffee breaks"

    hi,
    in our student building, we have 36 student rooms with internet
    connections. So it is a middle-sized heterogenous network, with the
    very most on win. We are all connected throught switches to a single
    modem.
    And we all share the same problem:
    from time to time, the connection makes "coffee breaks". About every 5
    to 15 minutes or so, the network makes a pause, it's idle and no packet
    will be received from the internet for about 2 minutes. And so, the
    connection is going up and down all day long.
    The intranet is always up and there everything is fine. On the same
    way, when you're the only one connected at a nightly hour, then the
    internet is just fine and you get no breaks.

    I really have no clue why this happens but it's extremely annoying. Any
    ideas?

  2. Re: connection makes "coffee breaks"

    Hello.
    We had very similar issue. Hardware firewall caused breaks in internet
    access. When we had lot of traffic going through the firewall, internet
    connection was breaking because of firewall's buffer overflow. After about
    2-3 minutes internet was working fine again. That was 3com firewall, I don't
    remember exact model.

    Matthew

    On 10/5/06 11:54 AM, in article
    1160063685.761442.118570@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups. com, "xarnaudx@gmail.com"