Re: Hotel Internet (Comcast) broken -- suggestions? - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Re: Hotel Internet (Comcast) broken -- suggestions? - Connectivity ; John E. wrote: > I'm staying at a Ramada Inn in the Washington D.C. area for a few > months that advertises Ethernet internet access via Comcast in each > room. > > Normally it is dynamic IP (DHCP) setup. ...

  1. Re: Hotel Internet (Comcast) broken -- suggestions?

    John E. wrote:

    > I'm staying at a Ramada Inn in the Washington D.C. area for a few
    > months that advertises Ethernet internet access via Comcast in each
    > room.
    >
    > Normally it is dynamic IP (DHCP) setup. When you run your browser, a
    > Comcast web page comes up and once you click on the "Connect" button,
    > you're up and running for all TCP/IP applications.
    >
    > Well, in my current room the internet access isn't working. Pings
    > anywhere fail.
    >
    > I had the hotel "engineer" come and replace the little box on the
    > wall that branches off the Ethernet connector from the TV cable. The
    > replacement was brand new (I watched him take it out of the packaging
    > and install it). No change in net access.
    >
    > The TV signal is what I would call excellent -- no visible noise, so
    > as far as connection issues, it doesn't look like the obvious cause.
    > All connectors seem tight and no frayed connections. I tried using a
    > known-good Ethernet cable in place of the hotel's cable with no
    > improvement.
    >
    > The engineer is a bit challenged when talking about computers or
    > electronics, so I think he's "maxed out" as far as troubleshooting.
    > There seem to be several -- nay, many -- rooms where internet access
    > is broken.
    >
    > What is the network topology in a hotel? Is there a huge router or
    > switch that handles all the traffic? I'd like to get ideas from the
    > network newsgroup readers regarding how to fix this that I can
    > suggest to the engineer -- or do it myself (I'm an electronics
    > technician familiar with networking small offices and homes).
    >
    > After changing rooms a few times I finally found one with an
    > air-conditioner that didn't keep me awake all night, so I'm not
    > likely to change rooms because of network access. (I have internet
    > access during the day, but meetings take up much of this time, so
    > this really limits my ability to e-mail, etc. during the day.) FYI,
    > Internet access in some of the other rooms I've stayed in worked
    > fine.
    >
    > Any and all suggestions to help get internet into my hotel room would
    > be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,

    You may benefit by installing Wireshark (fka ethereal) and sniffing to
    see what traffic you see. there are a lot of things that can be
    broken. But getting a sniffer capture may point you in the right
    direction.

    Do you get a link light?

    --

    hsb

    Due to the volume of email that I receive, I may not be able to

  2. Re: Hotel Internet (Comcast) broken -- suggestions?

    Thus spake Hansang Bae:

    > You may benefit by installing Wireshark (fka ethereal) and sniffing to see
    > what traffic you see. there are a lot of things that can be broken. But
    > getting a sniffer capture may point you in the right direction.

    I'll get an equivalent for the Mac and see what I can see. What should I look
    for?

    > Do you get a link light?

    Yes, I get a link light. And my TCP/IP control panel says that I'm getting a
    self-assigned IP address (is the address important? If so, I'll have to check
    when I go back to the hotel tonight).

    Ideas? Suggestions?

    Thanks,
    --
    DaveC
    me@bogusdomain.net

  3. Re: Hotel Internet (Comcast) broken -- suggestions?

    In article <0001HW.C1460F5200074E84F02845B0@news.readfreenews. net>,
    DaveC wrote:
    >Thus spake Hansang Bae:
    >> Do you get a link light?

    >Yes, I get a link light. And my TCP/IP control panel says that I'm getting a
    >self-assigned IP address (is the address important? If so, I'll have to check
    >when I go back to the hotel tonight).

    By "self-assigned IP address" do you mean its a 169.254/16 address?

    If so it means DHCP ain't working.

    --
    -- Rod --
    rodd(at)polylogics(dot)com

  4. Re: Hotel Internet (Comcast) broken -- suggestions?

    Thus spake Rod Dorman:

    > By "self-assigned IP address" do you mean its a 169.254/16 address?
    >
    > If so it means DHCP ain't working.

    I don't remember the exact address, but yes, it's 169.x.x.x I think.

    So, this means that maybe the TV cable to my room isn't hooked to the
    mega-switch in the cable closet? Is that the likeliest problem?

    Thanks,
    --
    DaveC
    me@bogusdomain.net
    This is an invalid return address
    Please reply in the news group

  5. Re: Hotel Internet (Comcast) broken -- suggestions?

    In article <0001HW.C146151C0008A9D1F02845B0@news.readfreenews. net>,
    DaveC wrote:
    >Thus spake Rod Dorman:
    >> By "self-assigned IP address" do you mean its a 169.254/16 address?
    >> If so it means DHCP ain't working.

    >I don't remember the exact address, but yes, it's 169.x.x.x I think.
    >
    >So, this means that maybe the TV cable to my room isn't hooked to the
    >mega-switch in the cable closet? Is that the likeliest problem?

    Thats one possibility, another is some router not forwarding the DHCP
    request.

    --
    -- Rod --
    rodd(at)polylogics(dot)com