Re: Hotel Internet (Comcast) broken -- suggestions? - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Re: Hotel Internet (Comcast) broken -- suggestions? - Connectivity ; "John E." wrote in message news:0001HW.C1428C620036854AF04075B0@news.readfree news.net... > I'm staying at a Ramada Inn in the Washington D.C. area for a few months that > advertises Ethernet internet access via Comcast in each room. > > Normally it is dynamic ...

  1. Re: Hotel Internet (Comcast) broken -- suggestions?

    "John E." wrote in message
    news:0001HW.C1428C620036854AF04075B0@news.readfree news.net...
    > I'm staying at a Ramada Inn in the Washington D.C. area for a few months

    that
    > advertises Ethernet internet access via Comcast in each room.
    >
    > Normally it is dynamic IP (DHCP) setup. When you run your browser, a

    Comcast
    > web page comes up and once you click on the "Connect" button, you're up

    and
    > running for all TCP/IP applications.
    >
    > Well, in my current room the internet access isn't working. Pings anywhere
    > fail.
    >
    > I had the hotel "engineer" come and replace the little box on the wall

    that
    > branches off the Ethernet connector from the TV cable. The replacement was
    > brand new (I watched him take it out of the packaging and install it). No
    > change in net access.
    >
    > The TV signal is what I would call excellent -- no visible noise, so as

    far
    > as connection issues, it doesn't look like the obvious cause. All

    connectors
    > seem tight and no frayed connections. I tried using a known-good Ethernet
    > cable in place of the hotel's cable with no improvement.
    >
    > The engineer is a bit challenged when talking about computers or

    electronics,
    > so I think he's "maxed out" as far as troubleshooting. There seem to be
    > several -- nay, many -- rooms where internet access is broken.

    I had similar problems where a hotel was going under renovations.
    Could be a lot of things that can cause what you observe.

  2. Re: Hotel Internet (Comcast) broken -- suggestions?

    Make friends with someone staying in a nearby room w/ working internet and
    put a wireless router on their modem.

    "Dana" wrote in message
    > "John E." wrote in message
    > news:0001HW.C1428C620036854AF04075B0@news.readfree news.net...
    >> I'm staying at a Ramada Inn in the Washington D.C. area for a few months

    > that
    >> advertises Ethernet internet access via Comcast in each room.
    >>
    >> Normally it is dynamic IP (DHCP) setup. When you run your browser, a

    > Comcast
    >> web page comes up and once you click on the "Connect" button, you're up

    > and
    >> running for all TCP/IP applications.
    >>
    >> Well, in my current room the internet access isn't working. Pings
    >> anywhere
    >> fail.
    >>
    >> I had the hotel "engineer" come and replace the little box on the wall

    > that
    >> branches off the Ethernet connector from the TV cable. The replacement
    >> was
    >> brand new (I watched him take it out of the packaging and install it). No
    >> change in net access.
    >>
    >> The TV signal is what I would call excellent -- no visible noise, so as

    > far
    >> as connection issues, it doesn't look like the obvious cause. All

    > connectors
    >> seem tight and no frayed connections. I tried using a known-good Ethernet
    >> cable in place of the hotel's cable with no improvement.
    >>
    >> The engineer is a bit challenged when talking about computers or

    > electronics,
    >> so I think he's "maxed out" as far as troubleshooting. There seem to be
    >> several -- nay, many -- rooms where internet access is broken.

    > I had similar problems where a hotel was going under renovations.
    > Could be a lot of things that can cause what you observe.

+ Reply to Thread