Lost ability to connect - help please - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Lost ability to connect - help please - Connectivity ; I am running a Centrino laptop. Last weekend, for no obvious reason, I lost the ability to connect to wireless internet and to internet via cable. Nothing changed and nothing installed. As I type, the laptop next to me is ...

  1. Lost ability to connect - help please

    I am running a Centrino laptop. Last weekend, for no obvious reason, I
    lost the ability to connect to wireless internet and to internet via
    cable. Nothing changed and nothing installed.

    As I type, the laptop next to me is connected to my wireless router,
    but shows "limited or no connectivity". Network connection details
    show a physical address, an IP address and a subnet mask. Repair
    connection does nothing save bringing up a message that it could not
    renew my IP address.

    A local geek in a cyber cafe says all the settings seem correct and he
    was able to ping his router.

    Any suggestions please?

  2. Re: Lost ability to connect - help please

    "Peter Guest" wrote in message
    > I am running a Centrino laptop. Last weekend, for no obvious reason, I
    > lost the ability to connect to wireless internet and to internet via
    > cable. Nothing changed and nothing installed.
    >
    > As I type, the laptop next to me is connected to my wireless router,
    > but shows "limited or no connectivity". Network connection details
    > show a physical address, an IP address and a subnet mask. Repair
    > connection does nothing save bringing up a message that it could not
    > renew my IP address.

    > A local geek in a cyber cafe says all the settings seem correct and he
    > was able to ping his router.

    Plug your laptop into his router and see if you connect.

    > Any suggestions please?

  3. Re: Lost ability to connect - help please

    On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 02:40:35 -0800, "Dana" wrote:

    >"Peter Guest" wrote in message
    >> I am running a Centrino laptop. Last weekend, for no obvious reason, I
    >> lost the ability to connect to wireless internet and to internet via
    >> cable. Nothing changed and nothing installed.
    >>
    >> As I type, the laptop next to me is connected to my wireless router,
    >> but shows "limited or no connectivity". Network connection details
    >> show a physical address, an IP address and a subnet mask. Repair
    >> connection does nothing save bringing up a message that it could not
    >> renew my IP address.

    >> A local geek in a cyber cafe says all the settings seem correct and he
    >> was able to ping his router.

    >Plug your laptop into his router and see if you connect.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions please?

    No good - no IP address

  4. Re: Lost ability to connect - help please

    > On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 02:40:35 -0800, "Dana" wrote:
    >
    > >"Peter Guest" wrote in message
    > >> I am running a Centrino laptop. Last weekend, for no obvious reason, I
    > >> lost the ability to connect to wireless internet and to internet via
    > >> cable. Nothing changed and nothing installed.
    > >>
    > >> As I type, the laptop next to me is connected to my wireless router,
    > >> but shows "limited or no connectivity". Network connection details
    > >> show a physical address, an IP address and a subnet mask. Repair
    > >> connection does nothing save bringing up a message that it could not
    > >> renew my IP address.

    > >> A local geek in a cyber cafe says all the settings seem correct and he
    > >> was able to ping his router.

    > >Plug your laptop into his router and see if you connect.
    > >>
    > >> Any suggestions please?

    > No good - no IP address

    So if I have this straight. You used a known working router (ie, the local
    geeks), and you still cannot connect.
    Sounds like a config with your network connection on your machine. But yet
    above you mention a second computer could not get an address from your
    wireless router, which points to the router as the problem.
    Have you power cycled the router?

  5. Re: Lost ability to connect - help please

    On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 08:28:47 -0800, "Dana" wrote:

    >"Peter Guest" wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 02:40:35 -0800, "Dana" wrote:
    >>
    >> >"Peter Guest" wrote in message

    >> >Plug your laptop into his router and see if you connect.

    >> No good - no IP address

    >So if I have this straight. You used a known working router (ie, the local
    >geeks), and you still cannot connect.
    >Sounds like a config with your network connection on your machine. But yet
    >above you mention a second computer could not get an address from your
    >wireless router, which points to the router as the problem.
    >Have you power cycled the router?

    Sorry I did not make myself clear. It is the same laptop. Router is
    fine and my second lap top connects perfectly. The first laptop (12
    months old) won't connect to 3 different routers nor to a hard wire
    connection.

  6. Re: Lost ability to connect - help please

    > On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 08:28:47 -0800, "Dana" wrote:
    >
    > >"Peter Guest" wrote in message

    he

    > >> No good - no IP address

    > >So if I have this straight. You used a known working router (ie, the

    local
    > >geeks), and you still cannot connect.
    > >Sounds like a config with your network connection on your machine. But

    yet
    > >above you mention a second computer could not get an address from your
    > >wireless router, which points to the router as the problem.
    > >Have you power cycled the router?
    > >

    > Sorry I did not make myself clear. It is the same laptop. Router is
    > fine and my second lap top connects perfectly. The first laptop (12
    > months old) won't connect to 3 different routers nor to a hard wire
    > connection.

    I was thinking that was what you were talking about.
    Now above when you say 3 different routers, are you talking about wireless
    routers, or are you plugging in a network cable?
    The hard wire connection is obvious as to what you mean.
    In your network settings disable both your wireless and lan connections.
    Than enable one or the other and see if that works.
    If not check your tcp/ip settings and ensure you are set to get an IP
    address automatically.

+ Reply to Thread