Multi network Configuration - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Multi network Configuration - Connectivity ; I'm trying to configure multiple network adapters on my laptop, but is not working properly. My laptop has two adapters, the wireless adapter is connecting to a Linksys WRT54GS Wireless router. The laptop Ethernet adapter is connected to a Linksys ...

  1. Multi network Configuration

    I'm trying to configure multiple network adapters on my laptop, but is not
    working properly.

    My laptop has two adapters, the wireless adapter is connecting to a Linksys
    WRT54GS Wireless router.
    The laptop Ethernet adapter is connected to a Linksys BEFSR41 DSL router.
    My desktop computer is connected to the Linksys BEFSR41 DSL router.
    I assigned different IP addresses to both routers.

    I can connect between the laptop and the desktop. I can see the files on the
    desktop and print with no problems
    I can surf the net from the laptop with no problem.
    At this point I have not tried to surf the net from the desktop. No need for
    it. Later on I will try to bridge the connection if needed.

    The problem is that if I have the Ethernet adapter enabled, I cannot surf
    the net from the laptop. If I disable the Ethernet adapter, then I can surf
    the net from the laptop with no problems. From looking at the network icons,
    every time I enable the Ethernet adapter, Internet Explorer tries to use it
    instead of the wireless adapter. Is there any way that I can configure the
    computer to use the wireless connection for internet. Can it be done for any
    software that tries to connect to the internet, or can it only be done for
    the web browser? I also noticed that by the icons in Network Connections
    there appears to be a small yellow lock icon. I have not seen this before.

    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Lostone

  2. Re: Multi network Configuration

    Hi
    May be this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/metrics.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Lostone" wrote in message
    news:G8SdncD3LMblYpTYnZ2dnUVZ_qSdnZ2d@giganews.com ...
    > I'm trying to configure multiple network adapters on my laptop, but is not
    > working properly.
    >
    > My laptop has two adapters, the wireless adapter is connecting to a
    > Linksys WRT54GS Wireless router.
    > The laptop Ethernet adapter is connected to a Linksys BEFSR41 DSL router.
    > My desktop computer is connected to the Linksys BEFSR41 DSL router.
    > I assigned different IP addresses to both routers.
    >
    > I can connect between the laptop and the desktop. I can see the files on
    > the desktop and print with no problems
    > I can surf the net from the laptop with no problem.
    > At this point I have not tried to surf the net from the desktop. No need
    > for it. Later on I will try to bridge the connection if needed.
    >
    > The problem is that if I have the Ethernet adapter enabled, I cannot surf
    > the net from the laptop. If I disable the Ethernet adapter, then I can
    > surf the net from the laptop with no problems. From looking at the network
    > icons, every time I enable the Ethernet adapter, Internet Explorer tries
    > to use it instead of the wireless adapter. Is there any way that I can
    > configure the computer to use the wireless connection for internet. Can it
    > be done for any software that tries to connect to the internet, or can it
    > only be done for the web browser? I also noticed that by the icons in
    > Network Connections there appears to be a small yellow lock icon. I have
    > not seen this before.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help.
    > Lostone

  3. Re: Multi network Configuration

    That worked perfectly thanks.
    As for the yellow icons, it was the firewall that was adding them.

    Lostone
    > Hi
    > May be this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/metrics.html
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >

    > "Lostone" wrote in message
    > news:G8SdncD3LMblYpTYnZ2dnUVZ_qSdnZ2d@giganews.com ...
    >> I'm trying to configure multiple network adapters on my laptop, but is
    >> not working properly.
    >>
    >> My laptop has two adapters, the wireless adapter is connecting to a
    >> Linksys WRT54GS Wireless router.
    >> The laptop Ethernet adapter is connected to a Linksys BEFSR41 DSL router.
    >> My desktop computer is connected to the Linksys BEFSR41 DSL router.
    >> I assigned different IP addresses to both routers.
    >>
    >> I can connect between the laptop and the desktop. I can see the files on
    >> the desktop and print with no problems
    >> I can surf the net from the laptop with no problem.
    >> At this point I have not tried to surf the net from the desktop. No need
    >> for it. Later on I will try to bridge the connection if needed.
    >>
    >> The problem is that if I have the Ethernet adapter enabled, I cannot surf
    >> the net from the laptop. If I disable the Ethernet adapter, then I can
    >> surf the net from the laptop with no problems. From looking at the
    >> network icons, every time I enable the Ethernet adapter, Internet
    >> Explorer tries to use it instead of the wireless adapter. Is there any
    >> way that I can configure the computer to use the wireless connection for
    >> internet. Can it be done for any software that tries to connect to the
    >> internet, or can it only be done for the web browser? I also noticed that
    >> by the icons in Network Connections there appears to be a small yellow
    >> lock icon. I have not seen this before.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance for any help.
    >> Lostone

+ Reply to Thread