Not autorised... - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Not autorised... - Connectivity ; Hi, I have a laptop running WinXP home, and a desktop running WinXP Pro. I connect them using a D-link router. I've set up a workgroup 'Home' on both machines. When I go to 'Microsoft Networks' I can see the ...

  1. Not autorised...

    Hi,

    I have a laptop running WinXP home, and a desktop running WinXP Pro. I
    connect them using a D-link router. I've set up a workgroup 'Home' on both
    machines. When I go to 'Microsoft Networks' I can see the workgroup 'Home',
    can even see the names of both computers, but can't access the other
    computer. The systems tells me that I am not autorised to look in that
    server and that I need to contact the administrator of that server to grant
    me the rights. Since I am the administrator, I'm wondering how to grant
    these rights. I have virtually tried everything, but don't seem to make an
    inch progress. Can someone point me in the right direction here ?

    thanks,
    Carl

  2. Re: Not autorised...

    Start/Control Panel/Administrative tools/Local Security Policy
    1. Security options/Network access: CHANGE to classic, users logon as
    themselves
    2. User Rights Assignment: Access this computer from the network: add (by
    typing) "Administrators,
    pc1 would require the username from pc2 to allow access and vice versa.
    Hope this helps
    tez

    "Carl Willems" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a laptop running WinXP home, and a desktop running WinXP Pro. I
    > connect them using a D-link router. I've set up a workgroup 'Home' on both
    > machines. When I go to 'Microsoft Networks' I can see the workgroup
    > 'Home', can even see the names of both computers, but can't access the
    > other computer. The systems tells me that I am not autorised to look in
    > that server and that I need to contact the administrator of that server to
    > grant me the rights. Since I am the administrator, I'm wondering how to
    > grant these rights. I have virtually tried everything, but don't seem to
    > make an inch progress. Can someone point me in the right direction here ?
    >
    > thanks,
    > Carl

  3. Re: Not autorised...

    I think WinXP Home forces a remote user to access network shares through the
    guest account, so he needs to make sure that the particular shared folder
    has at least "read" permissions set under the Guest account. WinXP though
    you can turn off "simple file sharing" and then gain access by using the
    username/password of the windows user on that Winxp computer.

    "terrance" wrote in message
    > Start/Control Panel/Administrative tools/Local Security Policy
    > 1. Security options/Network access: CHANGE to classic, users logon as
    > themselves
    > 2. User Rights Assignment: Access this computer from the network: add (by
    > typing) "Administrators,
    > pc1 would require the username from pc2 to allow access and vice versa.
    > Hope this helps
    > tez
    >

    > "Carl Willems" wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have a laptop running WinXP home, and a desktop running WinXP Pro. I
    >> connect them using a D-link router. I've set up a workgroup 'Home' on
    >> both machines. When I go to 'Microsoft Networks' I can see the workgroup
    >> 'Home', can even see the names of both computers, but can't access the
    >> other computer. The systems tells me that I am not autorised to look in
    >> that server and that I need to contact the administrator of that server
    >> to grant me the rights. Since I am the administrator, I'm wondering how
    >> to grant these rights. I have virtually tried everything, but don't seem
    >> to make an inch progress. Can someone point me in the right direction
    >> here ?
    >>
    >> thanks,
    >> Carl

+ Reply to Thread