=?windows-1252?Q?Can=92t_access_=93shared=94_USB_drive_?==?w indows-1252?Q?files_via_Network?= - Connectivity

This is a discussion on =?windows-1252?Q?Can=92t_access_=93shared=94_USB_drive_?==?w indows-1252?Q?files_via_Network?= - Connectivity ; Cant access shared USB drive files via Network Problem machine is a 1 Ghz Compaq Presario 700 lap top running WinXP-home with all recent updates and Windows firewall disabled. Connect to the lap top via a USB port in a ...

  1. =?windows-1252?Q?Can=92t_access_=93shared=94_USB_drive_?==?w indows-1252?Q?files_via_Network?=

    Cant access shared USB drive files via Network

    Problem machine is a 1 Ghz Compaq Presario 700 lap top running
    WinXP-home with all recent updates and Windows firewall disabled.
    Connect to the lap top via a USB port in a USB2 card is a 200 GHz hard
    drive.

    Until recently, perhaps related to the installation of Norton System
    Works 2006, I could access the files on the USB connected hard drive
    from my other machines on the local hardwired Ethernet network. (Simple
    sharing at the drive level as well as lower levels is enabled.) Now,
    when I seek access, I get cant access error message.

    If I place a short cut to the external USB HDD in a directory on the C:\
    drive of the LapTop, I can see that short cut over the network, but it
    has a white question mark inside of a red circle in the lower right
    corner of a hard drive icon. If you click on icon, you get cant
    access error message.

    Ideas?

  2. Re: =?UTF-8?B?Q2Fu4oCZdCBhY2Nlc3Mg4oCcc2hhcmVk4oCdIFVTQiBkcm l2ZSA=?==?UTF-8?B?ZmlsZXMgdmlhIE5ldHdvcms=?=

    Problem solved 

    Careful examination of system status reports generated by WinXP showed
    messages, “error irpstack size too small.” Further reading said error
    could be caused by too many monitoring programs such as those used for
    virus protection. Rather than changing the registry to allow an
    irpstack > 15, I sought to delete Norton System Works Premier 2006. To
    my surprise, the software removal process for Norton System Works allows
    one to selectively remove Norton GoBack. After removing Norton’s
    GoBack, I as again able to achieve normal access to files on the USB
    connected hard drive.

    windsurferLA wrote:
    > Can’t access “shared” USB drive files via Network
    >
    > Problem machine is a 1 Ghz Compaq Presario 700 lap top running
    > WinXP-home with all recent updates and Windows firewall disabled.
    > Connect to the lap top via a USB port in a USB2 card is a 200 GHz hard
    > drive.
    >
    > Until recently, perhaps related to the installation of Norton System
    > Works 2006, I could access the files on the USB connected hard drive
    > from my other machines on the local hardwired Ethernet network. (Simple
    > sharing at the drive level as well as lower levels is enabled.) Now,
    > when I seek access, I get can’t access error message.
    >
    > If I place a short cut to the external USB HDD in a directory on the C:\
    > drive of the LapTop, I can see that short cut over the network, but it
    > has a white question mark inside of a red circle in the lower right
    > corner of a hard drive icon. If you click on icon, you get “can’t
    > access” error message.
    >
    > Ideas?

  3. Re: =?UTF-8?B?Q2Fu4oCZdCBhY2Nlc3Mg4oCcc2hhcmVk4oCdIFVTQiBkcm l2ZSA=?==?UTF-8?B?ZmlsZXMgdmlhIE5ldHdvcms=?=

    heading on prior post should not has question mark. removing Go Back
    solved problem..

    windsurferLA wrote:
    > Problem solved 
    >
    > Careful examination of system status reports generated by WinXP showed
    > messages, “error irpstack size too small.” Further reading said error
    > could be caused by too many monitoring programs such as those used for
    > virus protection. Rather than changing the registry to allow an
    > irpstack > 15, I sought to delete Norton System Works Premier 2006. To
    > my surprise, the software removal process for Norton System Works allows
    > one to selectively remove Norton GoBack. After removing Norton’s
    > GoBack, I as again able to achieve normal access to files on the USB
    > connected hard drive.
    >

    > windsurferLA wrote:
    >> Can’t access “shared” USB drive files via Network
    >>
    >> Problem machine is a 1 Ghz Compaq Presario 700 lap top running
    >> WinXP-home with all recent updates and Windows firewall disabled.
    >> Connect to the lap top via a USB port in a USB2 card is a 200 GHz hard
    >> drive.
    >>
    >> Until recently, perhaps related to the installation of Norton System
    >> Works 2006, I could access the files on the USB connected hard drive
    >> from my other machines on the local hardwired Ethernet network.
    >> (Simple sharing at the drive level as well as lower levels is
    >> enabled.) Now, when I seek access, I get can’t access error message.
    >>
    >> If I place a short cut to the external USB HDD in a directory on the
    >> C:\ drive of the LapTop, I can see that short cut over the network,
    >> but it has a white question mark inside of a red circle in the lower
    >> right corner of a hard drive icon. If you click on icon, you get
    >> “can’t access” error message.
    >>
    >> Ideas?

+ Reply to Thread