2 Ethernet Ports - Connectivity

This is a discussion on 2 Ethernet Ports - Connectivity ; Hi, At the back of my PC, I have 2 Ethernet Ports (Asus P5N32-SLI Motherboard): LAN 1 (RJ-45) port: Marvell 88E1115 Gigabit LAN controller LAN 2 (RJ-45) port: Marvell 88E8053 Gigabit LAN controller My question is, would I get any ...

  1. 2 Ethernet Ports

    Hi,

    At the back of my PC, I have 2 Ethernet Ports (Asus P5N32-SLI Motherboard):

    LAN 1 (RJ-45) port: Marvell 88E1115 Gigabit LAN controller
    LAN 2 (RJ-45) port: Marvell 88E8053 Gigabit LAN controller

    My question is, would I get any benefit, or cause any damage, by connecting
    both ports at the same time to my hub/router?

    Kindest regards,

    Mike

  2. Re: 2 Ethernet Ports

    Wouldnt have any physical hardware damage i wouldnt think but there wouldnt
    be any advantage either. You may loose some network functionality such as
    internet access if your tcp/ip settings get screwed up like setting
    different gateways.

    You can however run 2 subnets of networks over the same physical network i
    believe by doing this.

    "Mike" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > At the back of my PC, I have 2 Ethernet Ports (Asus P5N32-SLI
    > Motherboard):
    >
    > LAN 1 (RJ-45) port: Marvell 88E1115 Gigabit LAN controller
    > LAN 2 (RJ-45) port: Marvell 88E8053 Gigabit LAN controller
    >
    > My question is, would I get any benefit, or cause any damage, by
    > connecting both ports at the same time to my hub/router?
    >
    > Kindest regards,
    >
    > Mike

+ Reply to Thread