Internet server software. - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Internet server software. - Connectivity ; Hi, I am looking at setting up a neighbourhood isp and have 2 questions 1) If you had every customers computer in the same room, all connected up to the same wired network, how would you stop each computer being ...

  1. Internet server software.

    Hi,
    I am looking at setting up a neighbourhood isp and have 2 questions

    1) If you had every customers computer in the same room, all connected up to
    the same wired network, how would you stop each computer being able to talk
    to each other. Eg. 192.168.1.1 (server) can talk to everyone and everyone
    can talk to 192.168.1.1 but we dont want 192.168.1.2 (jack) talking to
    192.168.1.3 (Jill)

    I have seen this done before by a local telco and a DSL gaming network where
    you would temporarily change your dsl username and password and you got full
    speed access to the game network servers, but couldnt talk to / ping / etc
    the person you were playing against directly without going through the game
    server.

    2) Anyone know of a good piece internet connection sharing software that
    supports a fair few users - to make it proffessional quality, has qos /
    bandwidth limiting, monthly data quotas and a web interface so users can
    preferably see their quota usage, has a vpn server so users can vpn directly
    to it and not have to authenticate via http, and has upnp etc.
    I am trialing kerio winroute firewall but the quotas dont seem to be all
    that accurate, and users can start up bit torrent or msn messenger and it
    automatically works for them without authenticating, and not going against
    their quotas. Where as it seems to start counting when they open ie and
    login through the web interface.
    Preferably windows based too.

    Thanks for your help

    Ray Taylor

  2. Re: Internet server software.

    Ray Taylor wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I am looking at setting up a neighbourhood isp and have 2 questions
    >
    > 1) If you had every customers computer in the same room, all connected up
    > to the same wired network, how would you stop each computer being able to
    > talk to each other. Eg. 192.168.1.1 (server) can talk to everyone and
    > everyone can talk to 192.168.1.1 but we dont want 192.168.1.2 (jack)
    > talking to 192.168.1.3 (Jill)
    >
    > I have seen this done before by a local telco and a DSL gaming network
    > where you would temporarily change your dsl username and password and you
    > got full speed access to the game network servers, but couldnt talk to /
    > ping / etc the person you were playing against directly without going
    > through the game server.
    >

    > 2) Anyone know of a good piece internet connection sharing software that
    > supports a fair few users - to make it proffessional quality, has qos /
    > bandwidth limiting, monthly data quotas and a web interface so users can
    > preferably see their quota usage, has a vpn server so users can vpn
    > directly to it and not have to authenticate via http, and has upnp etc.
    > I am trialing kerio winroute firewall but the quotas dont seem to be all
    > that accurate, and users can start up bit torrent or msn messenger and it
    > automatically works for them without authenticating, and not going against
    > their quotas. Where as it seems to start counting when they open ie and
    > login through the web interface.
    > Preferably windows based too.
    >
    > Thanks for your help
    >

    > Ray Taylor

    Ray;

    Don't know if this will 100% address your questions but one or more of the
    features may do just that. Take a look at www.netopia.com and look at
    their wifi hot-spot software utilities. This software doles out IP's via
    dhcp and as it is designed to work in a "public" place I cannot imaging it
    would allow cross talk and/or snooping. Might be worth a look.

    Bob

  3. Re: Internet server software.

    If you are planning to go with an WIFI Access point just get one that
    you can block client to client traffic, so that no Clients can talk to
    other clients on that Access point, very easy and will work great for
    just a few neighbors, also if you add more than one access point just
    make sure its running samething and that its on another subnet /
    network.

    bobmct wrote:
    > Ray Taylor wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > > I am looking at setting up a neighbourhood isp and have 2 questions
    > >
    > > 1) If you had every customers computer in the same room, all connected up
    > > to the same wired network, how would you stop each computer being able to
    > > talk to each other. Eg. 192.168.1.1 (server) can talk to everyone and
    > > everyone can talk to 192.168.1.1 but we dont want 192.168.1.2 (jack)
    > > talking to 192.168.1.3 (Jill)
    > >
    > > I have seen this done before by a local telco and a DSL gaming network
    > > where you would temporarily change your dsl username and password and you
    > > got full speed access to the game network servers, but couldnt talk to /
    > > ping / etc the person you were playing against directly without going
    > > through the game server.
    > >

    > > 2) Anyone know of a good piece internet connection sharing software that
    > > supports a fair few users - to make it proffessional quality, has qos /
    > > bandwidth limiting, monthly data quotas and a web interface so users can
    > > preferably see their quota usage, has a vpn server so users can vpn
    > > directly to it and not have to authenticate via http, and has upnp etc.
    > > I am trialing kerio winroute firewall but the quotas dont seem to be all
    > > that accurate, and users can start up bit torrent or msn messenger and it
    > > automatically works for them without authenticating, and not going against
    > > their quotas. Where as it seems to start counting when they open ie and
    > > login through the web interface.
    > > Preferably windows based too.
    > >
    > > Thanks for your help
    > >

    > > Ray Taylor

    > Ray;
    >
    > Don't know if this will 100% address your questions but one or more of the
    > features may do just that. Take a look at www.netopia.com and look at
    > their wifi hot-spot software utilities. This software doles out IP's via
    > dhcp and as it is designed to work in a "public" place I cannot imaging it
    > would allow cross talk and/or snooping. Might be worth a look.
    >
    > Bob

  4. Re: Internet server software.

    Awesome - thanks.
    I didnt think they had that sort of features in access points.

    I will be looking into it. :-)

    wrote in message
    news:1156731286.550271.205560@i3g2000cwc.googlegro ups.com...
    > If you are planning to go with an WIFI Access point just get one that
    > you can block client to client traffic, so that no Clients can talk to
    > other clients on that Access point, very easy and will work great for
    > just a few neighbors, also if you add more than one access point just
    > make sure its running samething and that its on another subnet /
    > network.
    >
    > bobmct wrote:
    >> Ray Taylor wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi,
    >> > I am looking at setting up a neighbourhood isp and have 2 questions
    >> >
    >> > 1) If you had every customers computer in the same room, all connected
    >> > up
    >> > to the same wired network, how would you stop each computer being able
    >> > talk to each other. Eg. 192.168.1.1 (server) can talk to everyone and
    >> > everyone can talk to 192.168.1.1 but we dont want 192.168.1.2 (jack)
    >> > talking to 192.168.1.3 (Jill)
    >> >
    >> > I have seen this done before by a local telco and a DSL gaming network
    >> > where you would temporarily change your dsl username and password and
    >> > you
    >> > got full speed access to the game network servers, but couldnt talk to
    >> > /
    >> > ping / etc the person you were playing against directly without going
    >> > through the game server.
    >> >

    >> > 2) Anyone know of a good piece internet connection sharing software
    >> > that
    >> > supports a fair few users - to make it proffessional quality, has qos /
    >> > bandwidth limiting, monthly data quotas and a web interface so users
    >> > can
    >> > preferably see their quota usage, has a vpn server so users can vpn
    >> > directly to it and not have to authenticate via http, and has upnp etc.
    >> > I am trialing kerio winroute firewall but the quotas dont seem to be
    >> > all
    >> > that accurate, and users can start up bit torrent or msn messenger and
    >> > it
    >> > automatically works for them without authenticating, and not going
    >> > against
    >> > their quotas. Where as it seems to start counting when they open ie and
    >> > login through the web interface.
    >> > Preferably windows based too.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks for your help
    >> >

    >> > Ray Taylor

    >> Ray;
    >>
    >> Don't know if this will 100% address your questions but one or more of
    >> the
    >> features may do just that. Take a look at www.netopia.com and look at
    >> their wifi hot-spot software utilities. This software doles out IP's via
    >> dhcp and as it is designed to work in a "public" place I cannot imaging
    >> it
    >> would allow cross talk and/or snooping. Might be worth a look.
    >>
    >> Bob

  5. Re: Internet server software.

    Wow bobmct - you are reading every group i posted to :-) thanks for your
    help.

    "bobmct" wrote in message
    > Ray Taylor wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >> I am looking at setting up a neighbourhood isp and have 2 questions
    >>
    >> 1) If you had every customers computer in the same room, all connected up
    >> to the same wired network, how would you stop each computer being able to
    >> talk to each other. Eg. 192.168.1.1 (server) can talk to everyone and
    >> everyone can talk to 192.168.1.1 but we dont want 192.168.1.2 (jack)
    >> talking to 192.168.1.3 (Jill)
    >>
    >> I have seen this done before by a local telco and a DSL gaming network
    >> where you would temporarily change your dsl username and password and you
    >> got full speed access to the game network servers, but couldnt talk to /
    >> ping / etc the person you were playing against directly without going
    >> through the game server.
    >>

    >> 2) Anyone know of a good piece internet connection sharing software that
    >> supports a fair few users - to make it proffessional quality, has qos /
    >> bandwidth limiting, monthly data quotas and a web interface so users can
    >> preferably see their quota usage, has a vpn server so users can vpn
    >> directly to it and not have to authenticate via http, and has upnp etc.
    >> I am trialing kerio winroute firewall but the quotas dont seem to be all
    >> that accurate, and users can start up bit torrent or msn messenger and it
    >> automatically works for them without authenticating, and not going
    >> against
    >> their quotas. Where as it seems to start counting when they open ie and
    >> login through the web interface.
    >> Preferably windows based too.
    >>
    >> Thanks for your help
    >>

    >> Ray Taylor

    > Ray;
    >
    > Don't know if this will 100% address your questions but one or more of the
    > features may do just that. Take a look at www.netopia.com and look at
    > their wifi hot-spot software utilities. This software doles out IP's via
    > dhcp and as it is designed to work in a "public" place I cannot imaging it
    > would allow cross talk and/or snooping. Might be worth a look.
    >
    > Bob

+ Reply to Thread