dhcp - Connectivity

This is a discussion on dhcp - Connectivity ; Windows 2000 server I've noticed that clients are getting the wrong subnet mask. The scope is set up for 172.22.1.100 to 172.22.1.199 the subnet mask should have been 255.255.0.0 but it was 255.255.255.0 First question how could having the wrong ...

  1. dhcp

    Windows 2000 server

    I've noticed that clients are getting the wrong subnet mask.

    The scope is set up for 172.22.1.100 to 172.22.1.199

    the subnet mask should have been 255.255.0.0 but it
    was 255.255.255.0

    First question how could having the wrong subnet mask affect
    the network. All the clients are working but I have noticed the
    subnet was wrong.

    Second can you fix the subnet mask in DHCP or do you have
    to redo the scope?

    Thanks,
    George

  2. Re: dhcp

    The subnet mask is used to determine which devices are on the local
    subnet and which need to be accessed via your default gateway.

    If this is a small network and you are not using any other 172.22.x.x
    subnets then you will probably be ok, if however, for example, you also
    have a 172.22.20.n subnet then you PC's will probably not be able to
    reach those devices as the netmask suggests that they can be access
    locally without the use of a router which in reality the network
    default gateway should be used.

    AFAIK if you change the subnetmask on the workstation you are also
    going to have to specify an IP address - defeating the idea of DHCP
    really... Best to correct the scopy on the server.

    geo wrote:
    > Windows 2000 server
    >
    > I've noticed that clients are getting the wrong subnet mask.
    >
    > The scope is set up for 172.22.1.100 to 172.22.1.199
    >
    > the subnet mask should have been 255.255.0.0 but it
    > was 255.255.255.0
    >
    > First question how could having the wrong subnet mask affect
    > the network. All the clients are working but I have noticed the
    > subnet was wrong.
    >

    > Second can you fix the subnet mask in DHCP or do you have
    > to redo the scope?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > George

+ Reply to Thread