Stopping piggybacking on wireless connections - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Stopping piggybacking on wireless connections - Connectivity ; My friend is jumping into the wireless bandwagon and he is concerned about piggybacking and keeping his network secure. I told him to get the Linksys WRT54GX4 router to avoid the dead spots (he will have computers on all levels ...

  1. Stopping piggybacking on wireless connections

    My friend is jumping into the wireless bandwagon and he is concerned
    about piggybacking and keeping his network secure.
    I told him to get the Linksys WRT54GX4 router to avoid the dead spots
    (he will have computers on all levels of his home) and to keep it
    secure. It also has easy setup but I couldn't tell him if the router
    would stop people from piggybacking on his broadband connection....
    Can anybody give me information on how to lock the connection to avoid
    "extra" users?
    One of my clients lives in a new subdivision (read houses placed 3
    feet from each other) and he said that he knows his neighbours are
    using his connection....

    Thank you in advance for any info...

    FayeC

  2. Re: Stopping piggybacking on wireless connections

    On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 14:40:52 -0400, FayeC wrote:

    > My friend is jumping into the wireless bandwagon and he is concerned
    > about piggybacking and keeping his network secure.
    > I told him to get the Linksys WRT54GX4 router to avoid the dead spots
    > (he will have computers on all levels of his home) and to keep it
    > secure. It also has easy setup but I couldn't tell him if the router
    > would stop people from piggybacking on his broadband connection....
    > Can anybody give me information on how to lock the connection to avoid
    > "extra" users?
    > One of my clients lives in a new subdivision (read houses placed 3
    > feet from each other) and he said that he knows his neighbours are
    > using his connection....
    >
    > Thank you in advance for any info...
    >
    > FayeC

    Secure the wireless with wep or wpa as appropreate for the equipment. wpa
    is better.

  3. Re: Stopping piggybacking on wireless connections

    "FayeC" wrote in message
    > My friend is jumping into the wireless bandwagon and he is concerned
    > about piggybacking and keeping his network secure.
    > I told him to get the Linksys WRT54GX4 router to avoid the dead spots
    > (he will have computers on all levels of his home) and to keep it
    > secure. It also has easy setup but I couldn't tell him if the router
    > would stop people from piggybacking on his broadband connection....
    > Can anybody give me information on how to lock the connection to avoid
    > "extra" users?
    > One of my clients lives in a new subdivision (read houses placed 3
    > feet from each other) and he said that he knows his neighbours are
    > using his connection....
    >
    > Thank you in advance for any info...
    >
    > FayeC

    I agree with BobC; encrypt the wireless connection with either WEP 128 bit
    or WPA. WPA is better and not that hard to implement. I'd go one step
    further and restrict access to the network by MAC address restriction. The
    Linksys you specified will do this and work well. WEP / WPA and MAC
    restriction are achieved through the router browser screen. None of it is
    hard.

    Good luck.
    Pete

+ Reply to Thread