Got a small network problem here - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Got a small network problem here - Connectivity ; I have recently bought a Billion 7202 4 port router to connect 2 PC's to the net. Previously I had a 4 port SAR715 router to do the same. Now then, with the SAR router I had to enter each ...

  1. Got a small network problem here

    I have recently bought a Billion 7202 4 port router to connect 2 PC's to
    the net.
    Previously I had a 4 port SAR715 router to do the same.
    Now then, with the SAR router I had to enter each IP address of the 2
    PC's and also that of the gateway. No problem; each machine got on the
    net and each machine could see each other and share files etc.
    Now with the Billion router, I had to select 'Obtain IP address
    automatically' as well as same for DNS, and although each machine can
    get on the net and see each other, I cannot access a WinXP machine from
    a Win2K machine. I can do vice versa but not from 2K to XP, as it says
    \\WinXP is not accessible.
    Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at
    this computer.

    Where and what is the solution?
    Thanks
    --

    Bob H
    Leeds UK

  2. Re: Got a small network problem here

    "Bob H" wrote in message
    >I have recently bought a Billion 7202 4 port router to connect 2 PC's to

    why so many? One will do. you must be rich!

  3. Re: Got a small network problem here

    ditto wrote:
    > "Bob H" wrote in message
    >> I have recently bought a Billion 7202 4 port router to connect 2 PC's to

    > why so many? One will do. you must be rich!

    No, I built it myself using redundant parts

    --

    Bob H
    Leeds UK

  4. Re: Got a small network problem here

    Bob H wrote:
    > I have recently bought a Billion 7202 4 port router to connect 2 PC's to
    > the net.
    > Previously I had a 4 port SAR715 router to do the same.
    > Now then, with the SAR router I had to enter each IP address of the 2
    > PC's and also that of the gateway. No problem; each machine got on the
    > net and each machine could see each other and share files etc.
    > Now with the Billion router, I had to select 'Obtain IP address
    > automatically' as well as same for DNS, and although each machine can
    > get on the net and see each other, I cannot access a WinXP machine from
    > a Win2K machine. I can do vice versa but not from 2K to XP, as it says
    > \\WinXP is not accessible.
    > Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at
    > this computer.
    >
    > Where and what is the solution?
    > Thanks

    Does the new router have a firewall built in? Also, have you recently
    updated windows? Check the windows firewall on the XP machine.

+ Reply to Thread