multiple connection to net 1 ip - Connectivity

This is a discussion on multiple connection to net 1 ip - Connectivity ; How do you have multiple connections to the internet, but the same internet IP as in 1 internet IP? The reason I am asking is I want 2 cable modems and 1 ip so I can use both to increase ...

  1. multiple connection to net 1 ip

    How do you have multiple connections to the internet, but the same internet
    IP as in 1 internet IP?

    The reason I am asking is I want 2 cable modems and 1 ip so I can use both
    to increase my download speed. I've got a dual wan router from Sonicwall
    that does load balancing etc, but if I go to places online since I have 2
    modems I have 2 ips. I want to bind both to 1 ip. Some places online that
    you have accounts with to log in will not let you connect with the same log
    in on more then 1 ip. So in order to download faster I want to do this so it
    sees me as 1 ip.

  2. Re: multiple connection to net 1 ip

    AMDX2 wrote:
    > How do you have multiple connections to the internet, but the same internet
    > IP as in 1 internet IP?
    >
    > The reason I am asking is I want 2 cable modems and 1 ip so I can use both
    > to increase my download speed. I've got a dual wan router from Sonicwall
    > that does load balancing etc, but if I go to places online since I have 2
    > modems I have 2 ips. I want to bind both to 1 ip. Some places online that
    > you have accounts with to log in will not let you connect with the same log
    > in on more then 1 ip. So in order to download faster I want to do this so it
    > sees me as 1 ip.

    What you're suggesting wont work. What you'll need to do is set up your
    routing tables to always route "https" to one of the wan ports. You may
    need to do the same w/ "http" as well. FTP traffic will still be load
    balanced.

  3. Re: multiple connection to net 1 ip

    "Jon Bronisz" wrote in message
    news:I90fg.65162$iB2.1668@bignews4.bellsouth.net.. .
    > AMDX2 wrote:
    >> How do you have multiple connections to the internet, but the same
    >> internet IP as in 1 internet IP?
    >>
    >> The reason I am asking is I want 2 cable modems and 1 ip so I can use
    >> both to increase my download speed. I've got a dual wan router from
    >> Sonicwall that does load balancing etc, but if I go to places online
    >> since I have 2 modems I have 2 ips. I want to bind both to 1 ip. Some
    >> places online that you have accounts with to log in will not let you
    >> connect with the same log in on more then 1 ip. So in order to download
    >> faster I want to do this so it sees me as 1 ip.

    > What you're suggesting wont work. What you'll need to do is set up your
    > routing tables to always route "https" to one of the wan ports. You may
    > need to do the same w/ "http" as well. FTP traffic will still be load
    > balanced.

    That doesn't work because some places online only allow 1 ip such as
    newsgroup servers, I know what you are saying though as I have done that
    now. The thing I want to do is 2 modems 1 ip for faster downloads from
    anyplace online that only work from 1 ip. Mainly newsgroups, but also normal
    file downloads too. I know it is possible with some sort of a device, but I
    don't know what kind or anything. Someone online did an artical about dual
    wan and i emailed him to talk about this. He told me DSL providers will do
    this for people and Comcast would too, but getting Comcast to do it would be
    very difficult. He said the isp puts the modems like through a deivivce
    where on the other side it's 1 ip. The modems are of course at the customers
    house, but at the isp there's a device that on the other side of it goes out
    to the net with 1 ip. That's what i am looking for for the home user. Some
    sort of a device that will take 2 modems and do outgoing as 1 ip so the
    internet sees that 1 ip.

+ Reply to Thread