Can a laptop usb card power a ADSL modem? - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Can a laptop usb card power a ADSL modem? - Connectivity ; Hi, I have a Belkin 2-port usb2 card which plugs into the card slot - the laptop only has integrated USB1.x. The card has no direct power supply. I wish to use a ADSL modem (powered by the usb2 input). ...

  1. Can a laptop usb card power a ADSL modem?

    Hi,
    I have a Belkin 2-port usb2 card which plugs into the card slot - the laptop
    only has integrated USB1.x.

    The card has no direct power supply.

    I wish to use a ADSL modem (powered by the usb2 input).

    Does the card supply power as a "standard" desktop usb2 port does?

    Will it be enough to power the modem (speedtouch 330)?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Can a laptop usb card power a ADSL modem?

    yeh man, USB has a standard voltage, if a card is made for a laptop that is
    cerrtified USB 1.0 and being that USB 2 is backward compatible, then yes,
    any USB device made will make use of the output of a usb port.

    "FairPlay" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I have a Belkin 2-port usb2 card which plugs into the card slot - the
    > laptop
    > only has integrated USB1.x.
    >
    > The card has no direct power supply.
    >
    > I wish to use a ADSL modem (powered by the usb2 input).
    >
    > Does the card supply power as a "standard" desktop usb2 port does?
    >
    > Will it be enough to power the modem (speedtouch 330)?
    >
    > Thanks

  3. Re: Can a laptop usb card power a ADSL modem?

    If the USB 2.0 Card has the right drivers installed the card will operate
    at 2.0 speed, I assume with 1.0 laptop, the slot is PCMCIA, the power is
    standard, and the USB2.0 card utilizes this power it is designed for that
    power rating for PCMCIA slots.. the modem is USB so whatever the usb port
    is it will power it.

    Hope that clarifies that for you.

    "Big Mitch" wrote in message
    > yeh man, USB has a standard voltage, if a card is made for a laptop that
    > is cerrtified USB 1.0 and being that USB 2 is backward compatible, then
    > yes, any USB device made will make use of the output of a usb port.
    >

    > "FairPlay" wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >> I have a Belkin 2-port usb2 card which plugs into the card slot - the
    >> laptop
    >> only has integrated USB1.x.
    >>
    >> The card has no direct power supply.
    >>
    >> I wish to use a ADSL modem (powered by the usb2 input).
    >>
    >> Does the card supply power as a "standard" desktop usb2 port does?
    >>
    >> Will it be enough to power the modem (speedtouch 330)?
    >>
    >> Thanks

+ Reply to Thread