Networking Help - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Networking Help - Connectivity ; Hi All I know this probably isn't a router/modem issue, but can somebody assist me on networking 6 or 7 WinXP machines, which are using safecom USB wireless adaptors to connect to a safecom 125mbs 4 port ADSL modem/router. Because ...

  1. Networking Help

    Hi All

    I know this probably isn't a router/modem issue, but can somebody assist me
    on networking 6 or 7 WinXP machines, which are using safecom USB wireless
    adaptors to connect to a safecom 125mbs 4 port ADSL modem/router.

    Because the print server part of it doesn't support my HP2550 printer, I've
    plugged this USB printer into a WinXP machine and shared this printer
    through this PC. This PC is actually hard wired to the router so all that
    is fine, but I need to get the other PCs (laptops actually) to see this
    printer.

    They are all set on simple networking and I used the networking wizard to
    set them up so that the printer is shared.

    I then went to Add Printer on the machines, let it browse and prayed for it
    to see the HP printer. I''m also setting up a shared docs on each machine,
    but this is not vitally important. The printer sharing is paramount though.

    I've just done the same 'setup a home/office network' wizard on each
    machine, but the shared docs and printer seem to be intermittanly
    'appearing' as I search on each machine.

    For example, the first laptop I setup saw the shared docs on the 'printer'
    pc, but not the printer. The 2nd laptop saw the printer, but not the shared
    docs and so on. I just done understand the erratic behaviour of it. When I
    restarted the 2nd laptop and left it a while it then showed the shared docs.

    Is there a belts and braces way to get each machine to see the printer and
    shared docs? Does anybody have a guide/checklist I could use?

    When I finish the network wizard, it says that I could create a network disk
    and so on, but I don't really need to do this do I?

    Thanks

    Laphan

  2. Re: Networking Help

    "Laphan" wrote in message
    > Hi All
    >
    > I know this probably isn't a router/modem issue, but can
    > somebody
    > assist me on networking 6 or 7 WinXP machines, which are using
    > safecom USB wireless adaptors to connect to a safecom 125mbs 4
    > port
    > ADSL modem/router.
    >
    > Because the print server part of it doesn't support my HP2550
    > printer, I've plugged this USB printer into a WinXP machine and
    > shared this printer through this PC. This PC is actually hard
    > wired to the router so all that is fine, but I need to get the
    > other PCs (laptops actually) to see this printer.
    >
    > They are all set on simple networking and I used the networking
    > wizard to set them up so that the printer is shared.
    >
    > I then went to Add Printer on the machines, let it browse and
    > prayed for it to see the HP printer. I''m also setting up a
    > shared
    > docs on each machine, but this is not vitally important. The
    > printer sharing is paramount though.
    >
    > I've just done the same 'setup a home/office network' wizard on
    > each
    > machine, but the shared docs and printer seem to be
    > intermittanly
    > 'appearing' as I search on each machine.
    >
    > For example, the first laptop I setup saw the shared docs on
    > the
    > 'printer' pc, but not the printer. The 2nd laptop saw the
    > printer,
    > but not the shared docs and so on. I just done understand the
    > erratic behaviour of it. When I restarted the 2nd laptop and
    > left
    > it a while it then showed the shared docs.
    >
    > Is there a belts and braces way to get each machine to see the
    > printer and shared docs? Does anybody have a guide/checklist I
    > could use?
    >
    > When I finish the network wizard, it says that I could create a
    > network disk and so on, but I don't really need to do this do
    > I?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Laphan

    Did you go to Control Panel------>Add Hardware on each of the
    PC's?

    If all the PC's are XP there is no need for the network dics.

    --

    Travis in Shoreline Washington

  3. Re: Networking Help

    Try this for a check list
    http://www.tomsnetworking.com/2004/0...fix/page2.html

    From Microsoft "How to troubleshoot home networking in Windows XP"

    "Laphan" wrote in message
    > Hi All
    >
    > I know this probably isn't a router/modem issue, but can somebody assist
    > me
    > on networking 6 or 7 WinXP machines, which are using safecom USB wireless
    > adaptors to connect to a safecom 125mbs 4 port ADSL modem/router.
    >
    > Because the print server part of it doesn't support my HP2550 printer,
    > I've
    > plugged this USB printer into a WinXP machine and shared this printer
    > through this PC. This PC is actually hard wired to the router so all that
    > is fine, but I need to get the other PCs (laptops actually) to see this
    > printer.
    >
    > They are all set on simple networking and I used the networking wizard to
    > set them up so that the printer is shared.
    >
    > I then went to Add Printer on the machines, let it browse and prayed for
    > it
    > to see the HP printer. I''m also setting up a shared docs on each
    > machine,
    > but this is not vitally important. The printer sharing is paramount
    > though.
    >
    > I've just done the same 'setup a home/office network' wizard on each
    > machine, but the shared docs and printer seem to be intermittanly
    > 'appearing' as I search on each machine.
    >
    > For example, the first laptop I setup saw the shared docs on the 'printer'
    > pc, but not the printer. The 2nd laptop saw the printer, but not the
    > shared
    > docs and so on. I just done understand the erratic behaviour of it. When
    > restarted the 2nd laptop and left it a while it then showed the shared
    > docs.
    >
    > Is there a belts and braces way to get each machine to see the printer and
    > shared docs? Does anybody have a guide/checklist I could use?
    >
    > When I finish the network wizard, it says that I could create a network
    > disk
    > and so on, but I don't really need to do this do I?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Laphan

  4. Re: Networking Help

    Hi Lathan,

    IMHO you need to install the printer's driver's on each pc, using the cd
    provided. Otherwise, it won't work.It will ask you to detect the printer
    connected to your "main" unit through the network (it sometimes seems too
    long). When you try to print from an application, it wil use the shared
    printer as the default one. Be sure if no printing occurs that the file is
    not "lost" in a last default printer. Delete the wrong printer if it's not
    connected to the pc you're using,and choose the right default printer. You
    sometimes have to mark the shared printer for each new application.

    Tha'ts thhe way it works on my HP 2575 from sevral pc's and a mac, even on
    a pc with a knoppix linux distro for this on, I h'd to choose the nearest
    name in the printer install.

    Please, let me knnow if this works.

    Georges