laptop won't let desktop into admin acct. - Connectivity

This is a discussion on laptop won't let desktop into admin acct. - Connectivity ; I don't understand why my desktop can't get into my laptop. Here is my set up and what I've done. Desktop running XP Pro SP2...Laptop running XP MCE SP2. My laptop can see my desktop an access all files fine, ...

  1. laptop won't let desktop into admin acct.

    I don't understand why my desktop can't get into my laptop.
    Here is my set up and what I've done.
    Desktop running XP Pro SP2...Laptop running XP MCE SP2.
    My laptop can see my desktop an access all files fine, but the desktop
    cannot get into my (I'm the admin) acct. I get the following error:
    XXX is not accessible. You might not have permission to use the network
    resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have
    access permission. Access is denied.
    I AM THE ADMINISTRATOR!
    I can access the guest account and the shared item folder just fine (duh)
    and All Users folder fine, just not the admin account (mine) I have right
    clicked on all of my folders and selected Sharing and Security and under the
    Share name it shows the default name and I have also checked "Allow network
    users to change my files" and the folder icon shows the little shared hand
    graphic on it but no go!?!? The strange thing is that "Make this folder
    private" and also "Share this folder on the network" are grayed out! But
    obviously I was able to mark those previously otherwise how did they get
    checked in the first place. Below it says "The options on this tab are
    disabled because this folder is in another folder that is private". huh?
    Can someone help me figure out what is going on? I've run the network
    Wizard until I am blue in the face.
    TIA
    dot

  2. Re: laptop won't let desktop into admin acct.

    Note:
    Would the fact that I am the admin on both the desktop and my laptop and
    using the same user name on both be the problem? Although this has always
    been set up this way and I was able to access the laptop before so dunno.
    Has something regarding this changed since a security patch install perhaps?
    dot

    "DotCom" wrote in message
    news:ybqdnf0KvotQ1f_ZnZ2dnUVZ_sydnZ2d@giganews.com ...
    >I don't understand why my desktop can't get into my laptop.
    > Here is my set up and what I've done.
    > Desktop running XP Pro SP2...Laptop running XP MCE SP2.
    > My laptop can see my desktop an access all files fine, but the desktop
    > cannot get into my (I'm the admin) acct. I get the following error:
    > XXX is not accessible. You might not have permission to use the network
    > resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you
    > have access permission. Access is denied.
    > I AM THE ADMINISTRATOR!
    > I can access the guest account and the shared item folder just fine (duh)
    > and All Users folder fine, just not the admin account (mine) I have right
    > clicked on all of my folders and selected Sharing and Security and under
    > the Share name it shows the default name and I have also checked "Allow
    > network users to change my files" and the folder icon shows the little
    > shared hand graphic on it but no go!?!? The strange thing is that "Make
    > this folder private" and also "Share this folder on the network" are
    > grayed out! But obviously I was able to mark those previously otherwise
    > how did they get checked in the first place. Below it says "The options
    > on this tab are disabled because this folder is in another folder that is
    > private". huh? Can someone help me figure out what is going on? I've run
    > the network Wizard until I am blue in the face.
    > TIA
    > dot

+ Reply to Thread