Newbie Networking Query - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Newbie Networking Query - Connectivity ; We have a USB modem, that has an RJ11 port and a USB port. Obviously, the RJ11 port is connected to the phone line, the USB port connected to my computer. This works fine. My son is returning home soon ...

  1. Newbie Networking Query

    We have a USB modem, that has an RJ11 port and a USB port. Obviously,
    the RJ11 port is connected to the phone line, the USB port connected to
    my computer. This works fine.

    My son is returning home soon and when he gets here, he'll want to set
    up a LAN so he can use the connection. We have a router, but my problem
    lies with the modem. The router has no place to plug the USB modem
    into.
    So, is there a type of modem I can buy that has two RJ11 ports for this
    purpose? Or will it work just as well if I leave the modem connected to
    my PC, and just connect that to the router?

    If the latter will work, will my PC need to be turned on for my son to
    get online?

  2. Re: Newbie Networking Query

    wrote in message
    news:1146783813.300023.223650@i39g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > We have a USB modem, that has an RJ11 port and a USB port. Obviously,
    > the RJ11 port is connected to the phone line, the USB port connected to
    > my computer. This works fine.
    >
    > My son is returning home soon and when he gets here, he'll want to set
    > up a LAN so he can use the connection. We have a router, but my problem
    > lies with the modem. The router has no place to plug the USB modem
    > into.
    > So, is there a type of modem I can buy that has two RJ11 ports for this
    > purpose? Or will it work just as well if I leave the modem connected to
    > my PC, and just connect that to the router?
    >
    > If the latter will work, will my PC need to be turned on for my son to
    > get online?

    Hi,

    You would need to be more specific about your router, but, if it has no USB
    port, then I suppose you are stuck. In any case, if your router is just a
    small web-based administered box, then I would find it unlikely that it
    would be able to drive the modem.

    Depending on your PC OS, you could active ICS (under XP it works fine, under
    2000 it is a bit flakey). Activating ICS would enable your PC to route
    packets to the Internet from your local LAN. You would need to leave your
    machine switched on to allow the 2nd machine to connect to the Internet.

    You will also need a way of connecting your PC with your son's. You would
    need a network card in both machines, along with a crossover cable or a
    switch/hub with two straight cables.

    If you won't/cannot leave your machine on, other than configuring your son's
    machine to use the modem and Internet connection, you could buy an ADSL
    modem/router.

    HTH,
    Mike.

+ Reply to Thread