Setting up a VPN - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Setting up a VPN - Connectivity ; I've decided that it would be handy to allow users to connect to my home network from their internet connections to allow file sharing, printing etc. I'm currently in the middle of changing my ADSL to include a static IP ...

  1. Setting up a VPN

    I've decided that it would be handy to allow users to connect to my home
    network from their internet connections to allow file sharing, printing etc.

    I'm currently in the middle of changing my ADSL to include a static IP
    address, and currently have linksys WAG54G ADSL modem/router 'controlling'
    my network. I've had a flick through the settings & manual and it has
    support VPNs but i'm not sure how to set one up.

    I'm asuming that the WAG54G does not act as VPN concentrator will require a
    VPN software solution? I could really do with a step by step guide if anyone
    knows of one?

    Richie_F

  2. Re: Setting up a VPN

    "Richie_F" wrote in message
    > I've decided that it would be handy to allow users to connect to my home
    > network from their internet connections to allow file sharing, printing
    > etc.
    >
    > I'm currently in the middle of changing my ADSL to include a static IP
    > address, and currently have linksys WAG54G ADSL modem/router 'controlling'
    > my network. I've had a flick through the settings & manual and it has
    > support VPNs but i'm not sure how to set one up.
    >
    > I'm asuming that the WAG54G does not act as VPN concentrator will require
    > a VPN software solution? I could really do with a step by step guide if
    > anyone knows of one?
    >
    > Richie_F

    Hi,

    Your best bet is to see if you can configure your ADSL modem to forward the
    VPN traffic to your internal machine (pptp on windows is good enough). I
    assume it can.

    If you are running windows xp (pro, not sure about home!), you can set it up
    to be a VPN server (PPTP). A client on the internet would connect to your
    public IP, and be forwarded to your internal machine to establish the VPN.
    After that the client would have an IP address on your local LAN.

    Be aware that you should avoid having the same IP range at both ends of the
    vpn. i.e. if you use 192.168.0.0/24 then the client machine should NOT have
    an IP address in this range, otherwise the client would not know where to
    route packets.

    Clients running windows would set up an 'advanced connection' in its network
    connections to connect to the vpn.

    have fun,
    Mike.

  3. Re: Setting up a VPN

    Right well i've invested in a Vigor 2800 router to facilitate all my
    networking needs and this has allowed me to setup a VPN to connect to my
    home network. My problem now is that although i can see the remote computer
    on a local machine i am unable to browse the shared folders and simply get a
    message saying "\\computername is not accessible...etc". At the same time
    tho i can access the local computers from the remote computer over the VPN.
    Any ideas what the problem could be?

    "MED" wrote in message

    > "Richie_F" wrote in message
    >> I've decided that it would be handy to allow users to connect to my home
    >> network from their internet connections to allow file sharing, printing
    >> etc.
    >>
    >> I'm currently in the middle of changing my ADSL to include a static IP
    >> address, and currently have linksys WAG54G ADSL modem/router
    >> 'controlling' my network. I've had a flick through the settings & manual
    >> and it has support VPNs but i'm not sure how to set one up.
    >>
    >> I'm asuming that the WAG54G does not act as VPN concentrator will require
    >> a VPN software solution? I could really do with a step by step guide if
    >> anyone knows of one?
    >>
    >> Richie_F

    > Hi,
    >
    > Your best bet is to see if you can configure your ADSL modem to forward
    > the VPN traffic to your internal machine (pptp on windows is good enough).
    > I assume it can.
    >
    > If you are running windows xp (pro, not sure about home!), you can set it
    > up to be a VPN server (PPTP). A client on the internet would connect to
    > your public IP, and be forwarded to your internal machine to establish the
    > VPN. After that the client would have an IP address on your local LAN.
    >
    > Be aware that you should avoid having the same IP range at both ends of
    > the vpn. i.e. if you use 192.168.0.0/24 then the client machine should
    > NOT have an IP address in this range, otherwise the client would not know
    > where to route packets.
    >
    > Clients running windows would set up an 'advanced connection' in its
    > network connections to connect to the vpn.
    >
    > have fun,
    > Mike.

+ Reply to Thread