CAT-5 cable stuck in ethernet port - can't remove - Connectivity

This is a discussion on CAT-5 cable stuck in ethernet port - can't remove - Connectivity ; I just bought a brand-new laptop (Thinpad R52) and connected a CAT-5 cable into the Ethernet port. It seemed a bit tight at first when inserting the cable, but after a bit of pressure, I felt the cable snap in ...

  1. CAT-5 cable stuck in ethernet port - can't remove

    I just bought a brand-new laptop (Thinpad R52) and connected a CAT-5
    cable into the Ethernet port. It seemed a bit tight at first when
    inserting the cable, but after a bit of pressure, I felt the cable snap
    in to place. Everything worked fine until I tried to remove the cable.
    Pressing down on the clip of the RJ45 connector results in a very
    quiet snapping sound, but the cable is still stuck hard in place.

    I've tried multiple angles, nudging it in deeper and then trying to
    remove it, pressing down both soft and hard on the clip, but the cable
    is still stuck in the port. This problem is pretty frustrating - in
    years of using networking gear I've never seen a cable stuck like this
    before. Any tips to removing that cable - without damaging the
    Ethernet port - would be greatfully welcomed.

    patiwat_at_sloan.mit.edu

  2. Re: CAT-5 cable stuck in ethernet port - can't remove

    patiwatp@gmail.com schreef:
    > I just bought a brand-new laptop (Thinpad R52) and connected a CAT-5
    > cable into the Ethernet port. It seemed a bit tight at first when
    > inserting the cable, but after a bit of pressure, I felt the cable snap
    > in to place. Everything worked fine until I tried to remove the cable.
    > Pressing down on the clip of the RJ45 connector results in a very
    > quiet snapping sound, but the cable is still stuck hard in place.
    >
    > I've tried multiple angles, nudging it in deeper and then trying to
    > remove it, pressing down both soft and hard on the clip, but the cable
    > is still stuck in the port. This problem is pretty frustrating - in
    > years of using networking gear I've never seen a cable stuck like this
    > before. Any tips to removing that cable - without damaging the
    > Ethernet port - would be greatfully welcomed.
    >
    > patiwat_at_sloan.mit.edu

    You could try to use a small screwdriver (like they use for repairing
    watches). Stick it where the clip used to be and put some light presure
    on it (make the tip tilt slightly upwards) while gently pulling the RJ-45.

    Good luck

  3. Re: CAT-5 cable stuck in ethernet port - can't remove

    wrote in message
    news:1146044508.437807.156740@u72g2000cwu.googlegr oups.com
    > I just bought a brand-new laptop (Thinpad R52) and connected a
    > CAT-5
    > cable into the Ethernet port. It seemed a bit tight at first
    > when
    > inserting the cable, but after a bit of pressure, I felt the
    > cable
    > snap in to place. Everything worked fine until I tried to
    > remove
    > the cable. Pressing down on the clip of the RJ45 connector
    > results
    > in a very quiet snapping sound, but the cable is still stuck
    > hard
    > in place.
    >
    > I've tried multiple angles, nudging it in deeper and then
    > trying to
    > remove it, pressing down both soft and hard on the clip, but
    > the
    > cable is still stuck in the port. This problem is pretty
    > frustrating - in years of using networking gear I've never seen
    > cable stuck like this before. Any tips to removing that
    > cable -
    > without damaging the Ethernet port - would be greatfully
    > welcomed.
    >
    > patiwat_at_sloan.mit.edu

    If you just purchased it the warranty should still apply. Take
    it back to the seller.

    --

    Travis in Shoreline Washington

  4. Re: CAT-5 cable stuck in ethernet port - can't remove

    Did you try needle-nose pliers to squeeze the clip and grab the connector at
    the same time?

    "Travis M." wrote in message
    > wrote in message
    > news:1146044508.437807.156740@u72g2000cwu.googlegr oups.com
    >> I just bought a brand-new laptop (Thinpad R52) and connected a CAT-5
    >> cable into the Ethernet port. It seemed a bit tight at first when
    >> inserting the cable, but after a bit of pressure, I felt the cable
    >> snap in to place. Everything worked fine until I tried to remove
    >> the cable. Pressing down on the clip of the RJ45 connector results
    >> in a very quiet snapping sound, but the cable is still stuck hard
    >> in place.
    >>
    >> I've tried multiple angles, nudging it in deeper and then trying to
    >> remove it, pressing down both soft and hard on the clip, but the
    >> cable is still stuck in the port. This problem is pretty
    >> frustrating - in years of using networking gear I've never seen a
    >> cable stuck like this before. Any tips to removing that cable -
    >> without damaging the Ethernet port - would be greatfully welcomed.
    >>
    >> patiwat_at_sloan.mit.edu

    > If you just purchased it the warranty should still apply. Take it back to
    > the seller.
    >
    > --
    >

    > Travis in Shoreline Washington

  5. Re: CAT-5 cable stuck in ethernet port - can't remove

    wrote in message
    news:1146044508.437807.156740@u72g2000cwu.googlegr oups.com...

    > I just bought a brand-new laptop (Thinpad R52) and connected a CAT-5
    > cable into the Ethernet port. It seemed a bit tight at first when
    > inserting the cable, but after a bit of pressure, I felt the cable snap
    > in to place. Everything worked fine until I tried to remove the cable.
    > Pressing down on the clip of the RJ45 connector results in a very
    > quiet snapping sound, but the cable is still stuck hard in place.
    >
    > I've tried multiple angles, nudging it in deeper and then trying to
    > remove it, pressing down both soft and hard on the clip, but the cable
    > is still stuck in the port. This problem is pretty frustrating - in
    > years of using networking gear I've never seen a cable stuck like this
    > before. Any tips to removing that cable - without damaging the
    > Ethernet port - would be greatfully welcomed.
    >
    > patiwat_at_sloan.mit.edu

    You're at MIT: take it over to the IT department and have them get the thing
    out.

+ Reply to Thread