Upgrading a Fat Partition to Windows 2K - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Upgrading a Fat Partition to Windows 2K - Connectivity ; Not completely new to networking, but relatively so, anyway, I'm trying to understand how to bring a computer with a fat partition to connect with a Windows 2000 Server, where I have a shared folder. Object is to test out ...

  1. Upgrading a Fat Partition to Windows 2K

    Not completely new to networking, but relatively so, anyway, I'm
    trying to understand how to bring a computer with a fat partition to
    connect with a Windows 2000 Server, where I have a shared folder.

    Object is to test out the instructions about connecting via the
    network so as to access the W2000P folder, and install Windows 2000,
    however, I'm not getting anything but a DOS prompt on the computer
    with a fat partition, any suggestions ???

    By the way, I formatted the fat partition with Windows 98, so
    wondering if this will still work, and have a 3com, 3C905B network
    card.

    tia,

    Richard

  2. Re: Upgrading a Fat Partition to Windows 2K

    On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 12:08:47 -0400, observer wrote:

    > Not completely new to networking, but relatively so, anyway, I'm
    > trying to understand how to bring a computer with a fat partition to
    > connect with a Windows 2000 Server, where I have a shared folder.
    >
    > Object is to test out the instructions about connecting via the
    > network so as to access the W2000P folder, and install Windows 2000,
    > however, I'm not getting anything but a DOS prompt on the computer
    > with a fat partition, any suggestions ???
    >
    > By the way, I formatted the fat partition with Windows 98, so
    > wondering if this will still work, and have a 3com, 3C905B network
    > card.
    >
    > tia,
    >
    > Richard

    Paertition type (fat, fat32, ntfs) is irrelevant when networking and
    sharing documents in a windows network. FS Type is only of significance on
    the local computer and its own files. For example: a word document is a
    word document regardless of FS Type and can be shared with any computer
    running a compatible version of Word. Same as a text document is a text
    document independent of OS Type.

    Maybe you should try better describing what you want to do.

+ Reply to Thread