Collision Domain Question - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Collision Domain Question - Connectivity ; Hi, I want to be sure I understand some basic concepts concerning the definition of a collision domain. I believe the following statements to be correct, please let me know if I am wrong. A group of computers connected with ...

  1. Collision Domain Question

    Hi,
    I want to be sure I understand some basic concepts concerning the definition
    of a collision domain. I believe the following statements to be correct,
    please let me know if I am wrong.

    A group of computers connected with ethernet cable and a hub form a
    collision domain.

    A group of computers connected with ethernet cable and a switch do not form
    a collision domain.

    Many thanks,
    Joe

  2. Re: Collision Domain Question

    "Joe Hesse" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I want to be sure I understand some basic concepts concerning the
    > definition of a collision domain. I believe the following statements to
    > be correct, please let me know if I am wrong.
    >
    > A group of computers connected with ethernet cable and a hub form a
    > collision domain.
    >
    > A group of computers connected with ethernet cable and a switch do not
    > form a collision domain.
    >
    > Many thanks,
    > Joe

    Wrong.
    * A collision domain is a group of devices where a frame sent by any of the
    devices could collide with a frame sent by one of the other devices.
    * If you are using a hub, you have one broadcast domain and one collision
    domain.
    * If you are using a switch, you have one broadcast domain and as many
    collision domains as you have ports. Each port on a switch is its own
    collision domain.
    * If your are using a router, each port is its own broadcast domain and its
    own collision domain.
    http://www.cisco.com

+ Reply to Thread