How to Share a Drive on a Network ? - Connectivity

This is a discussion on How to Share a Drive on a Network ? - Connectivity ; I have networked a W2K SP4 PC with my XP Pro SP2 desktop and want to be able to see and use an empty Partition on the W2K machine from my XP machine The W2K machine is partitioned into C: ...

  1. How to Share a Drive on a Network ?

    I have networked a W2K SP4 PC with my XP Pro SP2 desktop and want to
    be able to see and use an empty Partition on the W2K machine from my
    XP machine

    The W2K machine is partitioned into C: & D partitions with C:
    containing the OS and D being empty.

    I have gone into the D partition >Properties>Sharing in an attempt to
    enable sharing on this entire drive so that I will be able to see it
    and use it on my XP machine as an extra drive.

    I notice that under the "SHARING" tab of this D drive it only refers
    to "Share This Folder" and doesn't mention sharing a DRIVE .

    If I select "Share This Folder " here - this D drive does not appear
    in Network Places on my XP machine as a shared item .

    What must I do so that this drive will appear under Network Places on
    the XP networked PC ?

    B.N.

    --

    to reply by e-mail remove "admiral_"

  2. Re: How to Share a Drive on a Network ?

    I belive you will need to create a new share. By default when you hit this
    it only shows the share as d$ which is a hidden share. You can still
    connect to this hidden share drive if you use \\computername\d$.

    Tim

    wrote in message
    newsf7f421rl2ch2m0menri8tqo4tb8sooklm@4ax.com...

    > I have networked a W2K SP4 PC with my XP Pro SP2 desktop and want to
    > be able to see and use an empty Partition on the W2K machine from my
    > XP machine
    >
    > The W2K machine is partitioned into C: & D partitions with C:
    > containing the OS and D being empty.
    >
    > I have gone into the D partition >Properties>Sharing in an attempt to
    > enable sharing on this entire drive so that I will be able to see it
    > and use it on my XP machine as an extra drive.
    >
    > I notice that under the "SHARING" tab of this D drive it only refers
    > to "Share This Folder" and doesn't mention sharing a DRIVE .
    >
    > If I select "Share This Folder " here - this D drive does not appear
    > in Network Places on my XP machine as a shared item .
    >
    > What must I do so that this drive will appear under Network Places on
    > the XP networked PC ?
    >
    > B.N.
    >
    > --
    >
    > to reply by e-mail remove "admiral_"

  3. Re: How to Share a Drive on a Network ?

    On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 16:18:42 -0400, "Tim" wrote:

    >I belive you will need to create a new share. By default when you hit this
    >it only shows the share as d$ which is a hidden share. You can still
    >connect to this hidden share drive if you use \\computername\d$.
    >
    >Tim

    Thanks Tim. Yes I've managed it now thanks to you and other repliers
    here.

    I notice , however , when I create this new share ( D in my case ) you
    cant right click on this and get Properties in order to see how much
    of the D drive has been used and how much is left still available .

    I suppose that , to get this information , you have to look at the
    actual drive in the PC where it is physically situated .

    Is this a correct supposition , do you know ?

    B.N.
    --

    to reply by e-mail remove "admiral_"

+ Reply to Thread