How to change Process Priority for RDC on Remote Computer ?? - Connectivity

This is a discussion on How to change Process Priority for RDC on Remote Computer ?? - Connectivity ; Okay, So I'm using Remote Desktop Connection to control a computer in another location. However, my connection to the remote computer is very poor, It's choppy and I often lose the connection. (Probably because the other computer is mainly used ...

  1. How to change Process Priority for RDC on Remote Computer ??

    Okay,

    So I'm using Remote Desktop Connection to control a computer in another
    location. However, my connection to the remote computer is very poor, It's
    choppy and I often lose the connection. (Probably because the other computer
    is mainly used for P2P file sharing and has many open connections).

    My thought was to set the Process Priority for the RDC on the remote
    computer to 'high' hoping that might give me a more consistent connection.

    If this is somewhat of a reasonable idea, then......

    1) How do I call up 'Windows Task Manager' on the remote computer ?
    (Ctrl+Alt+Del Doesn't seem to work)
    2) What is the 'Image Name' for the RDC executable file that I would be
    changing ?

    Thanks a lot.

  2. Re: How to change Process Priority for RDC on Remote Computer ??

    Ajd wrote:
    > Okay,
    >
    > So I'm using Remote Desktop Connection to control a computer in another
    > location. However, my connection to the remote computer is very poor, It's
    > choppy and I often lose the connection. (Probably because the other computer
    > is mainly used for P2P file sharing and has many open connections).
    >
    > My thought was to set the Process Priority for the RDC on the remote
    > computer to 'high' hoping that might give me a more consistent connection.
    >
    > If this is somewhat of a reasonable idea, then......
    >
    > 1) How do I call up 'Windows Task Manager' on the remote computer ?
    > (Ctrl+Alt+Del Doesn't seem to work)
    > 2) What is the 'Image Name' for the RDC executable file that I would be
    > changing ?
    >
    > Thanks a lot.

    Firstly, it sounds like the problem is with your internet connection's
    speed rather than your computer's resources.

    To change the internet/networking traffic priorities you need some
    special software, or maybe if you look through the advanced options you
    can "throttle" or "speed limit" the P2P program. You certainly should be
    able to reduce the number of open connections.

    To bring up task manager when using remote desktop, either do start ->
    Windows Security (its at the bottom of the start menu). You can also do
    CTRL-ALT-END.

    The process/image name is something like rdshost, but I might be wrong.

    Eli