Help with remote network router config - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Help with remote network router config - Connectivity ; Hello people, I need help getting hosts on my network to be able to access the internet via the following scenario: Network A -- Router A -- Network B --- Router B --- internet Routers A and B are Cisco ...

  1. Help with remote network router config

    Hello people,

    I need help getting hosts on my network to be able to access the
    internet via the following scenario:

    Network A -- Router A -- Network B --- Router B

    --- internet

    Routers A and B are Cisco 1841 modular routers (similar to 1700 and
    2600 series).

    Router A is connected to Router B via serial link (X.21)
    Router B is connected to the internet via DSL WIC on dialer interface

    Router A is the new router to the scenario to connect networks A and B
    together.

    Hosts on network A can ping hosts on Network B.
    Hosts on network B can ping hosts on Network A.
    Hosts on network B can access internet (they always could).
    Hosts on network A CANNOT ping any address on the internet.

    Router B is configured with NAT traffic to the internet and has had no
    problems delivering traffic to network B.

    Routers A and B are set up with RIP v1 running advertising networks A
    and B.

    Router A was set with an "ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 network B" to ensure

    addresses not on networks in the routing table are delivered to Router
    B to pass on to the internet. I don't know if this is working as it
    should.

    I ran a similar setup at home with a D-link router as the gateway and a

    Cisco 2514 where Router A is here and had no problems.

    I tried using "debug ip packet" and "debu ip icmp" on Router B to see
    what was getting through but nothing showed up when I tried to ping a
    known IP on the internet.

    Any help and suggestions are appreciated.

    Manbo.

  2. Re: Help with remote network router config

    Thanks for your patience.

    I came here to post the answer to my problem, which was a NAT issue.

    Apologies for the mixup in my last post. The problem has been hosts on
    Network A not being able to reach the internet (via Router B).

    Router B has been working for some time and NAT was enabled on the
    fastethernet port (ip nat inside) and the SHDSL interface (dialer 0 :
    ip nat outside). Routers A and B were connected via serial interfaces
    and what I did NOT do is enable NAT on Rotuer B's serial interface (ip
    nat inside). Once I picked up on this my problem seems to have been
    resolved.

    Using debug ip packet detail didn't help much as I could not see
    anything on Router A indicating my test host on Network A was trying to
    get through to an external host address. I did manage to establish that
    Router A was successfully passing requests from hosts on Network A to
    Router B via a traceroute command on a host on Network B. The
    traceroute would indicate something like this:

    1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms Router A
    2 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms Router B
    3 * * * Request
    timed out.
    4 * * * Request
    timed out.

    So this at least directed me to the problem being with the config on
    Router B rather than on Router A. After studying the configs more
    closely I compared the config on the fastethernet interface of Router B
    (hosting network B) with the serial interface config on Router B. My
    serial interface had a very basic config and I should have spent more
    time configuring it.

    Thanks for looking and I hope my errors may help future network
    administrators through this newsgroup.

    Manbo

+ Reply to Thread