Problems with automatically assigned IP's - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Problems with automatically assigned IP's - Connectivity ; I have three PC's linked through a Linksys Wireless Router. The Desktop (DTOP) and the laptop(ltop) have XP Pro SP2 and the third desktop(Old) has W2K SP4. All are set to obtain IP and DNS automatically and the Firewall ( ...

  1. Problems with automatically assigned IP's

    I have three PC's linked through a Linksys Wireless Router.

    The Desktop (DTOP) and the laptop(ltop) have XP Pro SP2 and the third
    desktop(Old) has W2K SP4.

    All are set to obtain IP and DNS automatically and the Firewall ( Zone
    Alarm ) has been programmed to accept the 3 IP's thus generated .

    As of yesterday this was successfull as all 3 machines appeared in the
    Network Neighborhood in the same workgroup ( WORKGROUP) and were
    seeing each others shared files.

    Today , however , when I switched on the PC's , the networking failed
    and , on investigation , I discovered that the IP's automatically
    generated were not the same as those allocated yesterday.

    Does this happen when IP's are assigned automatically ?

    If it does , then what is the point of assigning them automatically ?

    Before attempting a re-hookup of the LAN using manual IP allocation
    and the subsequent chore of re-setting the Firewall , I rebooted and
    this time the IP settings reset back to what they had been before and
    the networking re=established itself.

    Is this a likely chain of events when using automatic setup of IP's.?

    How does the DHCP know what these IP's previously automatically
    allocated are?
    --

    to reply by e-mail remove "admiral_"

  2. Re: Problems with automatically assigned IP's

    wrote in message

    > I have three PC's linked through a Linksys Wireless Router.
    >

    > All are set to obtain IP and DNS automatically and the Firewall ( Zone
    > Alarm ) has been programmed to accept the 3 IP's thus generated .
    >
    > As of yesterday this was successfull as all 3 machines appeared in the
    > Network Neighborhood in the same workgroup ( WORKGROUP) and were
    > seeing each others shared files.
    >
    > Today , however , when I switched on the PC's , the networking failed
    > and , on investigation , I discovered that the IP's automatically
    > generated were not the same as those allocated yesterday.
    >
    > Does this happen when IP's are assigned automatically ?
    >
    > If it does , then what is the point of assigning them automatically ?

    There is no guarantee that DHCP will assign the same IP each time. Have you
    tried configuring DHCP to assign addresses based on MAC addresses? Why not
    use static IPs.
    Joe

+ Reply to Thread